Sponsored

Buying out of state

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Any chance its still in transport mode? And did he even put it on the rollers or did he fail it for not passing the OBDII checks
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
The car will give a "not ready" result for a bunch of OBDII monitors after clearing codes (or if the car is brand new) until some criteria are met including a certain milage being run in order for them to gather enough data. This is what prevents someone with a car that's throwing codes from simply clearing the codes and getting tested immediately. I thought it was something like 25 miles but I don't really know for sure.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Any chance its still in transport mode? And did he even put it on the rollers or did he fail it for not passing the OBDII checks
They no longer need to put "newer" cars on the rollers. Only pre-OBDII need to go on. But what mattLqx says below seems to be what the SMOG guy told me. Oh, yeah it was still in transport mode until I took it off last night. So basically it only had 2 miles of data, or lack of data. :frusty: :D

The car will give a "not ready" result for a bunch of OBDII monitors after clearing codes (or if the car is brand new) until some criteria are met including a certain milage being run in order for them to gather enough data. This is what prevents someone with a car that's throwing codes from simply clearing the codes and getting tested immediately. I thought it was something like 25 miles but I don't really know for sure.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What a crock of shit lol, have to go out of our way, pay $50-60, to only re-certify a 50-state legal. Commiefornia for you, everyone needs a piece of the pie.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
What a crock of shit lol, have to go out of our way, pay $50-60, to only re-certify a 50-state legal. Commiefornia for you, everyone needs a piece of the pie.
Agree...makes me think even more about registering in my home state as opposed to out here.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If I had that as an option I certainly would entertain it, especially if your local sales tax is lower. I will owe $2400 to get mine plated here for the registration and higher sales tax vs where it's being purchased.

C4s4ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350 (sold)
Just got back from getting a SMOG... it FAILED!! :mad:

The guy said the car didn't have enough miles on it. The censors didn't even activate when plugged in to OBDII. He suggested I put at least 100-150 miles on it and come back for a free re-test.

Ok, so I can't register the car without passing SMOG. And I can't pass SMOG without driving it a bit. Doh!! :doh:
Just want to share my experience. I bought my non-R from Florida and had to title it in CA. I also had the same "Failed" smog result and the Smog station basically most likely the battery die or someone disconnected the battery. His recommendation was to run the car for about 50 miles (or as much as I was comfortable) which I did. It passed. Not sure if the 50 miles is the right answer but just want to pass this along.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Bumping this, what paperwork did you guys end up needing to do extra? Just a bill of sale and MSO vs teh traditional dmv paperwork and what not?

Was any of it electronic of did all of it have to be mailed back and forth?

C4s4ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350 (sold)
Bumping this, what paperwork did you guys end up needing to do extra? Just a bill of sale and MSO vs teh traditional dmv paperwork and what not?

Was any of it electronic of did all of it have to be mailed back and forth?
All manual/paper works, nothing electronic for me. Quite simple: DMV title request form + bill of Sale (sales contract) + Signed Title from Ford + Smog Cert + DMV inspection + $$$$$ (of course). I received one FedEx package from selling dealer so not much mailing back and forth.

Last edited:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So they send paper work bundle, you sign and return, wire/transfer funds, they send back the final copies and release the car?

Sponsored

C4s4ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350 (sold)
Yup. Dealer sent me a packet. I sent the signed docs back with a cashier check for the balance. They already have $5k deposit earlier. This dealer was very accommodating because they released the car before they receive my signed docs and check. the transport was early by a day at the dealer and trying to load up the car otherwise there would have been at least a week or so delay due to thanksgiving. After thanksgiving I got my paperwork. Please keep in mind a lot of the buying a car process/stuff (e.g. A copy of my license, insurance policy, a copy of the sales contract, or any docs that i needed to review) were sent via phone as pictures. That eliminated lots of back and forth mailing :)

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Perfect, thanks for the info.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
C4s4ng beat me too it!
I'll post anyway since this took me 20 mins to type!. ;)

Needed for registration in Ca...

1. SMOG Check

2. Application For Title or Registration, This is a CA DMV Form.

3. Certificate of Origin For a Vehicle (Title from Ford to the Selling Dealer)
The selling dealer should fill out the back of this paper with your info.

4. Vehicle Invoice with sales price.

Side Notes:

I tried to get the car registered while it was still being transported, but the DMV wouldn’t let me for 2 reasons:
1. Needs SMOG test
2. Needs DMV inspection

The 1st time I took the car to SMOG, it failed because I had just taken it out of Transport Mode the day before and the car had less than 10 miles on it. No data to collect.
The guy doing the SMOG actually drives a Mustang as well and didn’t even question the open airbox.

The 2nd time I took it in was this afternoon and a different guy DID question the open airbox, but I showed him the GT350 supplement Owner’s manual with a picture showing it as a stock item. PASS visual.
I had also put on about 100 miles before the second test. PASS.

I take in all my paperwork, a 2nd time, and the car to the DMV this Friday… a day before my birthday. :cheers:

sparrky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future GT
Greetings all. New member looking for a GT350 to bring home. I have been emailing dealerships in Calif and out of state, but so far very HIGH markups. Need a bit of help on locating one much closer to MSRP. Thank you.

GT350FAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Another out of state buyer -

I live in FL but buying it from MI. Anyone here from FL has done it before?
What I need to do to registration here in FL and also what taxes I am paying in MI?

Thank you!!
Sponsored