Sponsored

Buying 2016, Should I Go EB Prem or GT Prem?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Get a V6 if power and speed is not your thing. V6 sounds better.
Sponsored

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Well that was what I was wondering. I was just asking the owners of said cars why they thought the GT was worth it. And if it was for the speed, then I'd know it's not worth it. Also, hadn't checked how much hp that GT produces until now, and having never owned a RWD I know 400 hp is too much for me to handle. Hell, 300 probably is, too!
OK, I would say it like this.

You will have 80% of the experience in the EB and save 6k or if you feel like only 100% will do, then for 6k more your getting a very strong performer. (V8 sounds, acceleration feel and middle finger to the man lol)

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I honestly don't think you can afford the car. I would hold off on getting a car if you can, it's a fun purchase and you'll enjoy it but I would focus on saving up some money while living at home for a year or two and then maybe think about getting the car. I know this may not be a popular opinion but it's some honest life advice

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cole2999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Vehicle(s)
'08 Scion tC
Compare to an EB.:lol:
I know, what I'm describing sounds like I should go for the V6. Plus, I like V6's, and it's cheaper.
The only problem is it doesn't offer all that the EB does. Though, thinking about it, the EB is an extra $8000 for a slightly better fuel economy, Pony Package, Adaptive CC, leather seats, and the upgraded center stack. Actually, now that I write it all out, I would say that's worth an extra $8000 to me. I really dislike all the buttons on the center stack, and I do really want ceramic leather seats. The Pony Package I could do without, but until I move to Austin I'm commuting 230 miles both ways every other weekend, and the Adaptive CC would be glorious for that.
Plus, the power loss on the V6 is so little that they're essentially going to do me the same favors. I'm never going to reach the limits where the EB outshines the V6, so their 10hp difference is negligible.

gwsk10 said:
I'm not going to give you a lecture here, but some things to think about...

- Insurance will be killer... 19 yrs old with a couple speeding tickets... you need to get a quote before you decide

- I'd recommend moving out first before getting a new car.. If you can toss a down payment on a property instead of buying a quickly depreciating asset, you'll be much better off in the long-run. Plus, the girl will be impressed with the car, but not so much so with you taking her to your parents house

- You're 19, so you still have tons of time to fulfill your life goal of owning a mustang

That being said, no difference between EB Premium and GT Premium except for performance. If you don't care about power, then $6000 less for EB sounds like a good idea.
Trust me, I have done my research. I've quoted 7 different companies, with Geico being the best. Offers me $198/month with my two very hefty speeding tickets and an EB. They disclaim that the tickets are expected to be "general minor speeding incidents", which they... weren't... (25+, 30+. (Again, very stupid kid. I've seriously learned my lesson.)) But even then, I can expect maybe $100-$150 more per month, which is fine.
Also, I have a girlfriend (who, admittedly, is getting sick of me talking about the Mustang, but is herself very excited). And I should still be able to afford an apartment next year, while paying off my Mustang within 3 years.

I know it seems (and is) a stupid idea, but I promise the planning is not half-assed. I won't be buying for another 3 months so I can make a $5-6k down payment.

Also, thanks for not lecturing me. :D
[MENTION=19880]Joshg120[/MENTION] Guaranteed that's not an unpopular opinion. I bet half the people on here, myself included, think it's a bad idea.
And the thought of saving has crossed my mind. It's still not out of the picture, but right now I'm just deciding which of the two I should get if I get a Mustang. I mean, I could potentially fill my savings with over $10,000 in two years. It's just going to involve a lot of thinking. Thanks for your advice, though!

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
The 6 cylinder will be cheaper in insurance and in cost. The turbo is more money for insurance, the good thing about the cars is the crash rating is very good so it keeps that part down. Assuming you are set on a Mustang, something that took me 30 extra years to splurge on, I would suggest the 6. The HP is close to the ECO, the gas mileage is not far off, the car will cost a lot less, and the car will run on standard not premium gas. My first car was a new one but I went with a base model, that would be my suggestion.

I liked all the goodies too, but honestly think it is a mistake to fork over that much cash for your salary, and getting the loan is going to be very hard. You don't have the income to justify it and you will get killed on the rate.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I vote to keep your current ride. Subsidized rent is a gift. Use this time to fatten your bank account. After that, move out and and rent something, preferably with room-mates. If you can get your salary to 60+, with an equal amount or more in savings, then you can look into houses, new cars, etc.

If you absolutely must have a new car, then shop for a V6 / EB, base model, trying for $20-22.

If none of the above is appealing, then marry a rich girl and she can buy you the GT :thumbsup:

OP
OP

Cole2999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Vehicle(s)
'08 Scion tC
OK, I would say it like this.

You will have 80% of the experience in the EB and save 6k or if you feel like only 100% will do, then for 6k more your getting a very strong performer. (V8 sounds, acceleration feel and middle finger to the man lol)
Right now the only finger I'm holding up to the man is a thumb and a very heartfelt tip of the hat. I'm extremely lucky to still have my license, though even that's up in the air. :D

[MENTION=19689]JamesinLittleSilver[/MENTION]
I touched on this in another post. It's a tough choice, but I think the features in the Premium trims are worth the extra money. I strongly dislike the center stack's significant number of buttons, and I want some nice ceramic leather seats. The Adaptive CC is also a big plus for me for the next few years.
As for the gas, I'm not too worried. It's only a couple dozen cents more at most. Plus, I'd buy 93 Octane even with a V6. I want to baby this car like a first-born. I'm also only going to run pure synthetic oil, regular oil changes, new tires every 2 years, etc. With luck this thing will last me a full decade with no problems.

[MENTION=18735]paul123[/MENTION]
I'm not dead set on getting a new car, this is just me wondering whether or not the GT would be worth it if I got a new car. I'm still on the fence about what I will end up doing.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
imo wait until you have the better paying job locked in, it would suck to get the EB or GT and find out that you will end up only making 11/H or even worse getting laid off completely.

when you figure out that get the EB if you arent planning on using 400+ hp.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
So a little bit on who I am:
I'm turning 19 in a couple weeks, and I work at $11/hr for 18 hours a week. But I'm changing jobs and now I'm looking at ~$30-35k a year. With low rent ($150/month to my parents), I figured I'd splurge. And buy a Mustang.
This isn't what you want to hear, but someone else has to say (or reinforce) this point: unless you have rich parents, buying a brand new sports car at age 19 is a bad idea. You may think you know how much this will cost to own and you may think you know how much expendable income you'll have but you don't. You just don't at that age. We all think we do, but when real life starts in earnest (and I'm presuming you won't be living with your parents forever) you'll be stretched incredibly thin on money if you buy a new Mustang. You're very fortunate to already have a newish car at your age. Save your money. If you've got the itch that badly save for a while longer, make sure you get that better job and that it's stable (you won't know for a few months at least) and then maybe buy a used S197 Mustang.

Batman1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I'd say get the ecoboost. Maybe even look for a slightly used one with the options you're looking for. I have a premium ecoboost and I put the GTPP wheels on and I love the look. I miss the V8 sound sometimes but the mpg and insurance helped sell me on the ecoboost. I've only owned mustangs with V8's but the ecoboost is still faster than those. Buy the ecoboost, enjoy it, and maybe by the time the body style changes, you can trade it in on a GT. Good luck with your decision and I hope your job works out

OP
OP

Cole2999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Vehicle(s)
'08 Scion tC
This isn't what you want to hear, but someone else has to say (or reinforce) this point: unless you have rich parents, buying a brand new sports car at age 19 is a bad idea. You may think you know how much this will cost to own and you may think you know how much expendable income you'll have but you don't. You just don't at that age. We all think we do, but when real life starts in earnest (and I'm presuming you won't be living with your parents forever) you'll be stretched incredibly thin on money if you buy a new Mustang. You're very fortunate to already have a newish car at your age. Save your money. If you've got the itch that badly save for a while longer, make sure you get that better job and that it's stable (you won't know for a few months at least) and then maybe buy a used S197 Mustang.
I know it's not too brilliant an idea, and other users have expressed this to me. I am not planning on jumping head first into this. If I do decide to get a Mustang, it won't happen until June at the absolute soonest. I agree that I don't fully know what my expenses will be, that I can only guess with made up numbers and hope to high hell I don't lose my job. But the first part is the reason I'm planning in advance, and even then, I'm still not sold on buying a new car. And the second part about losing the job, well that's the reason I will not lease it. I'll be financing, and, being the new year model, I can still sell it for almost full value, losing around $3-6k at worst. And I have options, and back up plans, and many other things.
Plus, above all else, I learn by doing. My parents have told me many stories of how stupid they were, tickets they got, and yet I didn't fully understand the stupidity and severity of it until my second ticket. And I won't understand living within my means, and, essentially, the real world, until I take that first step into the looming darkness ahead. And I may fall, but I'll get back up. Just hopefully there will be a pony for me to ride upon when I do get up :D

GordonGekko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Eco Premium
Am I on the right website? I thought I read people recommending the ecoboost in this thread.

No, wait, I must be imagining things.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If I wasn't moving closer to work in a few, I would have gotten the EB. Actually, no, I wouldn't have gotten a Mustang at all. But I'm babying this pup and was pulling off 19.3 MPG average since driving off of the lot until I got comfortable with the power, now I'm babying it except when I don't and am hovering at 18.8 on that lifetime average.

Previous car? 104MPG Chevrolet Volt (not inclusive of charging, which, when factored in, brings me to about 80 or so "eMPG"). I went from going to the gas station, eh, 1.5 times a month on a 9-gallon tank (plus nightly charging at about $1 for 30+ miles) to going to the gas station every 6 days. Womp womp on the fuel efficiency. Part of that is the gas tank on this vehicle only goes like 250 miles - ridiculous.

But, again, I'm moving closer to work shortly so won't be a big deal then.

If you live far from work or have to drive a lot for work or drive a lot because you have a hot significant other in another town... and don't have lots of cash flow (likely because of that hot significant other)... EB.
Sponsored