Buyer's Remorse..?

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
Ok, I had a clever but probably not too kind response here. So, just try this out before you go trade that sweet Mustang.

Find someone you trust that actually knows how to drive competitively and safely. Better yet, go to a track day and find an instructor. Have them take you for a spin (literally or not, up to you). Most cars today (yes, even Civics and Fiats) have more in them than 90% of the drivers out there know how to access. Properly handled most modern cars today will wake up the average driver.

Let's not be too hasty to blame the car. Challenge yourself to "find" what you're looking for in the car you have.
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Chris,
I don't feel the same in the 335i. I understand it's almost 40k more but no way my car which is rated around the same numbers... Feels like a slouch, engine and handling.
Of course it does not feel the same, it is a very different vehicle. Does not feel the same in what way? When you say rated, that can be very different. Handling is purely on feel, but the GT with PP was spoken of in the same league as the M4 and placed highly on the best driver's car list with the Porsche 911, so while it is different it is very capable. Power "feel" of the V6 will vary wildly depending on how you drive as has been said here already. The V6 has a great high power band, but does not have the low RPM torque that the Ecoboost (or similar Turbo engine) would have. The V8 would have Torque everywhere, but that Torque would produce more oversteer which you said you did not like. Have you tried winding it out to close to redline in 2nd and 3rd gears? In my opinion, that is where the V6 really shines.

Chris

OP
OP

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Ok, I had a clever but probably not too kind response here. So, just try this out before you go trade that sweet Mustang.

Find someone you trust that actually knows how to drive competitively and safely. Better yet, go to a track day and find an instructor. Have them take you for a spin (literally or not, up to you). Most cars today (yes, even Civics and Fiats) have more in them than 90% of the drivers out there know how to access. Properly handled most modern cars today will wake up the average driver.

Let's not be too hasty to blame the car. Challenge yourself to "find" what you're looking for in the car you have.
This was my first thought so don't worry about offending :cheers:
Took the car the my pops, which has beyond enough experience with his c7.
He felt it wasn't enough. ( of course him coming from a vette is an unfair comparison) but still with him driving, pushing the car, it did not appeal to me.
Forgive my errors, coming off my phone.

OP
OP

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course it does not feel the same, it is a very different vehicle. Does not feel the same in what way? When you say rated, that can be very different. Handling is purely on feel, but the GT with PP was spoken of in the same league as the M4 and placed highly on the best driver's car list with the Porsche 911, so while it is different it is very capable. Power "feel" of the V6 will vary wildly depending on how you drive as has been said here already. The V6 has a great high power band, but does not have the low RPM torque that the Ecoboost (or similar Turbo engine) would have. The V8 would have Torque everywhere, but that Torque would produce more oversteer which you said you did not like. Have you tried winding it out to close to redline in 2nd and 3rd gears? In my opinion, that is where the V6 really shines.

Chris
So being the GT PP, I'm guessing it will handle and act a lot different from my v6 correct ? I really liked the feel of the 335i, so am I just in the completely wrong platform of car?

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
Chris,
I don't feel the same in the 335i. I understand it's almost 40k more but no way my car which is rated around the same numbers... Feels like a slouch, engine and handling.
BMW under-rates their boosted engines based on the worse case scenario for output.

It feels faster because it is faster by any objective measure. 0-60, 1/4 mile, trap speed, etc. vs. a V6 6th gen. It's also building greater torque much sooner in the power curve than the V6. Part of the attraction to small twin scroll turbos these days.

The handling of a Sport Line or M equipped 335i will be better. It's tuned to be more focused, like a PP equipped Mustang. A base V6 has a relatively soft suspension in comparison and is riding on worse rubber.

Sponsored

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
This was my first thought so don't worry about offending :cheers:
Took the car the my pops, which has beyond enough experience with his c7.
He felt it wasn't enough. ( of course him coming from a vette is an unfair comparison) but still with him driving, pushing the car, it did not appeal to me.
Forgive my errors, coming off my phone.
:cheers: right back at ya! I agree with a post above. Keep the ride for a year. In that year, go out and learn it. Take a HPDE with an instructor. I think that 6 has some surprises for you. If not, and you're Aryton Senna incarnate, then go get that GT and exceed your tire budget! :headbang:

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
So being the GT PP, I'm guessing it will handle and act a lot different from my v6 correct ? I really liked the feel of the 335i, so am I just in the completely wrong platform of car?
335I (287 HP/296 TQ - and the TQ is from 2500 - 5K)

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1664221-Bone-Stock-335i-Dyno-Results

Mustang V6 (5th Gen) 246 HP/250 TQ - and the HP doesn't get up there till ~4,500, TQ is always much lower

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...9-please-help-me-interpret-v6-dyno-chart.html

If you're expecting this engine to feel like something with significantly more power/tq down low, sorry, it's not getting there without help.

OP
OP

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1664221-Bone-Stock-335i-Dyno-Results

Mustang V6 (5th Gen) 246 HP/250 TQ - and the HP doesn't get up there till ~4,500, TQ is always much lower

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...9-please-help-me-interpret-v6-dyno-chart.html

If you're expecting this engine to feel like something with significantly more power/tq down low, sorry, it's not getting there without help.
Starting to feel like I just purchased the wrong car. Oh man. Thanks for that info clears up the hp theory for me.:(

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Starting to feel like I just purchased the wrong car. Oh man. Thanks for that info clears up the hp theory for me.:(
I would recommend maybe a 228i Msport for you or a M235i if you can swing it. They are smaller lighter cars that just feel the correct size, and smaller than the 335i. That was my 2nd choice this time, but the V8 got me :-) I wouldnt buy a Mustang without it being a GT. Ever. And I think thats why you see so much disappointment amongst the other groups for a percentage of buyers like yourself.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Like others have said you are suffering from the "coulda had a V8" sickness. That being said you would be surprised what just an exhaust can do for the v6. I gained a half second on my 0-60 time and got more of that "in your seat" feel from the car. I know others will say that the other mod I did is nothing more then a paper weight but I beg to differ. I installed a throttle body spacer that again gave me more torque down low. Or so it feels that way. Shorty headers also provide more torque lower in the rpm band. Long story short, the V6 with the right combination of mods can definitely give you the feeling you are looking for. It would be cheaper then buying another car as well...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

The thing is, the two cars are close enough 0-60 it could be a driver's race, especially from a roll. Yes the BMW is a better car, but it also costs twice as much. I don't think there's anything there that explains it. Probably the handling could. I know a turbo car can "feel" fast even though it really isn't that fast. I drove the Focus ST and it seemed pretty good, but was significantly slower than the V6 Mustang.

I still half think he's just not winding the engine up into the power band. If you constantly short shift at 3,000 rpm the car will seem like a real dud. You have to wind it up to 5k or 6k where it makes power.

To the OP: Is the BMW you drove and liked an automatic transmission car?

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Chris,
Yup, just what I was thinking your problem was. The SOTP feel of the v6 stang isn't doing it for you. The power delivery of modular stang motors feel surprisingly soft for their power/tq ratings especially when not driven in their powerband. Tune/exhaust will help some but you still won't be happy with the V6 unless there is a blower strapped to it, imo.
I've driven an 11' manual V6 stang at it "felt'' very soft in it's power delivery. My brother has an auto 13'v6 stang that is dyno tuned with long tube headers and gears that feels substantially stronger than the man v6 I drove but still no 5.0...
Getting that ''in your face'' torque isn't going to be cheap. Still check out the man and auto 15' 5.0 but I bet you'd be very happy with a tuned N54 135i/335i.

OP
OP

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing is, the two cars are close enough 0-60 it could be a driver's race, especially from a roll. Yes the BMW is a better car, but it also costs twice as much. I don't think there's anything there that explains it. Probably the handling could. I know a turbo car can "feel" fast even though it really isn't that fast. I drove the Focus ST and it seemed pretty good, but was significantly slower than the V6 Mustang.

I still half think he's just not winding the engine up into the power band. If you constantly short shift at 3,000 rpm the car will seem like a real dud. You have to wind it up to 5k or 6k where it makes power.

To the OP: Is the BMW you drove and liked an automatic transmission car?
Yes it was the 8 speed auto.
I try to get it within the 4k power and but still..

OP
OP

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, just what I was thinking your problem was. The SOTP feel of the v6 stang isn't doing it for you. The power delivery of modular stang motors feel surprisingly soft for their power/tq ratings especially when not driven in their powerband. Tune/exhaust will help some but you still won't be happy with the V6 unless there is a blower strapped to it, imo.
I've driven an 11' manual V6 stang at it "felt'' very soft in it's power delivery. My brother has an auto 13'v6 stang that is dyno tuned with long tube headers and gears that feels substantially stronger than the man v6 I drove but still no 5.0...
Getting that ''in your face'' torque isn't going to be cheap. Still check out the man and auto 15' 5.0 but I bet you'd be very happy with a tuned N54 135i/335i.
Thinking I might just go take the hit, and go with a used 335i.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes it was the 8 speed auto.
I try to get it within the 4k power and but still..
I think you should try this today. On a road that is nice and wide without too many people.. get in first gear and wind it to 4,000 rpm. Hold it at that speed and rpm for a little bit. Now floor it.

It's been a few years since I had my V6 Mustang, but I think it will break the rear tires loose, and it will definitely spin the tires hard when you keep it down and shift to second at 6,000 rpm.

If you're selling the car anyway, you should experiment with it some first. If you have been shifting at 4k you are missing the fun.
Sponsored