Sponsored

Brake Pads Sticking

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't use hill assist. It pisses me off because I'm just used to doing it the ol' fashioned way.

I've had this happen with brakes sticking in basically all of my cars from my '96 Celica to my '11 Mustang GT, my '07 Civic, and of course my '16 GT350. Happens whenever things got a bit dirty and wet, it's really not too big of a deal. Pump em a bit and they'll be right back to normal at the next intersection.
Sponsored

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Likewise; I've never experienced rust between the rotors and pads. But, if there's a TSB, something is going on.

There's plenty of rusting going on in other places though: nuts/bolts, joints, bushings, and so on.

No rust on mine!!!

censport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW M3/2011 BMW X5/ 2017 GT350R
i have a stoptech big brake kit on my M3 front and rear and after installing it i noticed the exact same problem you guys are. i even changed pads and it still does it.

Sponsored

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
Hello everyone! I did a search, and couldn't find any information on this topic! I have had an issue with the brake pads sticking (rusted?) to the rotors after washing my car. I have started using a leaf blower to dry/remove as much water from the rotors and pads as I can, which seems to help a bit, but it still does it. The first time I go to take off after it has sat overnight (after washing), I have to give it extra throttle until they break loose with a POP! Is anyone else experiencing this? Have you found anything that helps to keep it from happening? My main concern is damaging the pads and/or rotors. Thanks!
This is common I would assume. Usually happens to me after driving in rain and then leaving car un-driven for a couple days or more. Big clunk noise. I disabled hill assist from the get-go so I don't think that will help.

With a manual trans I don't like the idea of not using the parking brake so I won't do that either.

The only thing I have found is that sometime if you get in car after rain, start it and then apply the brakes, hold them down a bit and then let off and apply again, it sometimes frees the pads from the rotors and you don't get that sound.
Also I think this is Brembo brakes up front only...I don't think it does it on the rear discs but I could be wrong.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
This is common I would assume. Usually happens to me after driving in rain and then leaving car un-driven for a couple days or more. Big clunk noise. I disabled hill assist from the get-go so I don't think that will help.

With a manual trans I don't like the idea of not using the parking brake so I won't do that either.

The only thing I have found is that sometime if you get in car after rain, start it and then apply the brakes, hold them down a bit and then let off and apply again, it sometimes frees the pads from the rotors and you don't get that sound.
Also I think this is Brembo brakes up front only...I don't think it does it on the rear discs but I could be wrong.
Just a comment on parking brake use. The transmission is much stronger than the parking brake, I've had manuals for 25 years and never use the parking brake unless parking on a very steep hill.

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
I couldn't find the thread....but very early in this forum a member actually had a chunk of their brake pad release from the backing plate (similar circumstances as mentioned by OP). I believe he had (at the very least) his brake pads covered under warranty.

I've had this happen to me after a wash numerous times...on one occasion it was almost a "dump the clutch" situation...very uncomfortable in a garage setting, but it finally released...no matter what now it goes for a spin around the block after a wash.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Also try not to wash it if the brakes are still hot after driving it seems to make the rust worse.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
This has happened with every car I've owned with disc brakes after washing or a heavy rain. I think the large size of the GT350 brakes makes it more noticeable.

I turned off hill assist at about 200 miles on the odometer, so IMHO that's not the cause. I still get the after-wash effect. If I need hill assist, I use that old-fashioned lever sitting beside the gear shift! The hill assist is a little too enthusiastic. It tended to activate on a very slight incline. I found that a little annoying and shut it off.

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Not to get off topic, but what is hill-start assist doing? I still roll backwards on a hill as you'd expect for a second before I move forward as desired.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Not to get off topic, but what is hill-start assist doing? I still roll backwards on a hill as you'd expect for a second before I move forward as desired.
Go through your menu and settings. It keeps you from rolling back on a hill by applying the brakes for you

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
This happens to me every time I wash the car. Using a master blaster to dry the wheels makes it even worse. Brakes stick so hard I need to apply throttle to break them loose, then rust gets all over the black rims like you never washed the wheels

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
This happens to me every time I wash the car. Using a master blaster to dry the wheels makes it even worse. Brakes stick so hard I need to apply throttle to break them loose, then rust gets all over the black rims like you never washed the wheels
Yup. I've tried washing wheels each side at a time, a single wheel at a time, brake rotors insta-rust either way even with the master blaster.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I wash mine than if I know I'm not going to drive it I just roll it, push it back about a foot. No more problems.
Edit; my 15 GT/PP does the same thing, maybe worse.
Sponsored