Brake Pads Sticking

Jryan3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
Hello everyone! I did a search, and couldn't find any information on this topic! I have had an issue with the brake pads sticking (rusted?) to the rotors after washing my car. I have started using a leaf blower to dry/remove as much water from the rotors and pads as I can, which seems to help a bit, but it still does it. The first time I go to take off after it has sat overnight (after washing), I have to give it extra throttle until they break loose with a POP! Is anyone else experiencing this? Have you found anything that helps to keep it from happening? My main concern is damaging the pads and/or rotors. Thanks!
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Out of the 6 months of ownership, it happened to me recently, and it sticks pretty hard. The last time it happened to me, I went into the menu options, I believe it's the Driver Assist section, and turned off Hill Start Assist, the brakes released right after that. Haven't had a chance to try it again to verify it.

Don't forget to turn it back on. It's saved me more than once from rolling into a parking curb when I wasn't on a level parking lot.

OP
OP

Jryan3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
every time you wash it, you have to drive it.
I get what you are laying down! I just don't like to drive it after I wash it, because I put the cover on and don't want it dusty.. I'm sure you know, it takes no time at all!

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Sticking Brakes

Use to happen to me as well, but not anymore after I stopped applying the parking brake. Just leave it in 1st gear, no more sticking brakes.

Sponsored

jma406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350,1962 406 S/S,64 Falcon B/FX, BOSS KK1215
My dealer's service manager informed me there is a service bulletin on the Shelby's brakes, problems with rust.

OP
OP

Jryan3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
Use to happen to me as well, but not anymore after I stopped applying the parking brake. Just leave it in 1st gear, no more sticking brakes.
I'll give that a try! Thanks!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
P-brake or not it always happens to me unless I drive it a bit and heat the brakes up.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Mine sometimes does it, I think it's the hill holder leaves them against the rotor, then the large pad area means even a tiny bit of "stick" between the two sounds horrible when it pops free.

OP
OP

Jryan3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
Mine sometimes does it, I think it's the hill holder leaves them against the rotor, then the large pad area means even a tiny bit of "stick" between the two sounds horrible when it pops free.
I'm gonna try disabling the hill start.. I agree, it sounds bad! I have had them stuck bad enough to almost kill it in first gear.. I don't like having to rev and lurch out of my garage!

Sponsored

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have had this happen several times. Once about an hour or so after washing the wheels and parking in the garage, I went back out and rolled the car about a foot by pushing in the clutch then released and left it in first, no parking brake. Didn't stick. Just hard to remember to do this step every time.

OP
OP

Jryan3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
My dealer's service manager informed me there is a service bulletin on the Shelby's brakes, problems with rust.
I would be interested to find out what the service bulletin addresses, and if they have a planned fix.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Can't see how rust would be an issue with any components on the Shelby brakes, the materials are better than most other cars. I have never had the Hill Assist turned on in my car and I get the sticking after a wash if I don't drive the car. Like Tomster says above, you need to drive the car and heat up the brakes after washing the car.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pretty normal.
What I normally do is after drying, I drive slowly up and down my neighborhood street using the brakes a bit to make sure all the rust and stuff is scrapped off.
Really tho, it doesn't hurt anything. The moment you drive next time, it will be scrapped clean.
Sponsored