Sponsored

Brake Cooling for Inverted Hat Style Rotors (Base Mustangs)

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a good brake cooling option for base model mustangs that use the (dreaded) inverted hat rotors? I am very curious to know if brake deflectors, though they claim to not work at all, do anything for them? Perhaps someone can give me some detailed information on everything base mustang brakes. Considering later on upgrading to GT 4-piston setup

Any and all recommendations welcome!
Here are the "deflectors" I would love to use, but don't work on inverted hats:
https://vorshlag-store.com/products/vorshlag-s550-brake-cooling-deflector-kit?variant=30890383212606
Sponsored

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you have full-coverage dust shields, remove them. Deflecting air over to your inverted rotors will still help cool them.

I manufacture an alternative air deflector vane, just click on the link in my signature. The latest version has more area, improved clearance, provides for 2 mounting methods, and works with control arm spherical bearings.

20240315_150837.jpg

20240315_145457.jpg

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
No the 4 piston rotors will not fit on the two piston rotors. Removing the dust shield helps immensely for the 2 piston rotors. I did that on my last mustang. Also getting higher temperature pads are even more helpful. Run high temp brake fluid as well.

I tried just about everything to cool those stupid inverted rotors, but the brake fluid and better pads were the biggest help with braking performance!

Sponsored

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No the 4 piston rotors will not fit on the two piston rotors. Removing the dust shield helps immensely for the 2 piston rotors. I did that on my last mustang. Also getting higher temperature pads are even more helpful. Run high temp brake fluid as well.

I tried just about everything to cool those stupid inverted rotors, but the brake fluid and better pads were the biggest help with braking performance!
Thanks J! On it.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

I might run the air deflectors regardless as cool air hitting the back of the rotors would probably help anyways as well, yes?

What pads and fluid did you run?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I might run the air deflectors regardless as cool air hitting the back of the rotors would probably help anyways as well, yes?

What brakes and fluid did you run?
Oh yes! They will help for sure but its kind of coming into a cost analysis question. If you don't care about the money or time spent adding those then go for it. Everything helps a bit trying to keep those cool. But the effect is marginal, you might get 2-3 more laps depending on the track with those, vs 1-2 sessions with the correctly positioned rotors.

I'm not sure about 2 piece rotors for the 2 pistons, might be worth looking into! :like:

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yes! They will help for sure but its kind of coming into a cost analysis question. If you don't care about the money or time spent adding those then go for it. Everything helps a bit trying to keep those cool. But the effect is marginal, you might get 2-3 more laps depending on the track with those, vs 1-2 sessions with the correctly positioned rotors.

I'm not sure about 2 piece rotors for the 2 pistons, might be worth looking into! :like:
What pads and fluid did you run my friend?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
What pads and fluid did you run my friend?
I started running the Powerstop Z26 pads which worked well for a long time, but as I got my speed up I switched to the Hawk Performance HPS 5.0. I was about to upgrade again to the some DTC-30 and maybe DTC-60 but then I blew it up šŸ˜‚

If you still daily the car go for the HPS 5.0, otherwise go for the DTC compounds!

Fluid is RBF 660!

https://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/coll...-2016-ford-mustang-v6-w-o-performance-package

Sponsored
OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
The short answer is no.
Reverse rotors cannot be cooled by a deflector
As the master @Optimum Performance suggested. Best thing to do is to get the regular rotors.
Ditch the 5.0 if you track. They are really really bad. If you use the csr on the street the DCT are really bad for cleaning and can ruin the paint.
There are better option for sure for dual purposes.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by "blew it up?!"
I cracked the block in half :rockon: That's what roughly 80k miles of hard tracking does to a car not meant for racing!

@Optimum Performance I believe @CobaltFilly is building his car for Autocross, the 2 pistons are more than adequate for that! 100% switch to 4 piston at the minimum if you're tracking!

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
The short answer is no.
Reverse rotors cannot be cooled by a deflector
As the master @Optimum Performance suggested. Best thing to do is to get the regular rotors.
Ditch the 5.0 if you track. They are really really bad. If you use the csr on the street the DCT are really bad for cleaning and can ruin the paint.
There are better option for sure for dual purposes.
Agree 100% with the hawk pads being corrosive, but the 2 pistons have very limited choices. I would say run G-loc but I don't think they have the sizes for the 2 piston.
Sponsored