Sponsored

Bored of my GT

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
EgoBoost, are you saying that installing aftermarket higher numeric gears in today’s vehicles is justified? (I wasn’t sure how to take your statement)
Absolutely. I’ve been saying it this whole thread.
Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
You'll never have enough power. If you are truly 'bored' you are in the wrong car.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Now riddle me the difference between 4:09 and 4:10🫣

Seriously though when did 4.09 become a thing over 4.10?
Probably in the 2015 model year, when Mustangs started coming with the independent rear suspension.

I'm sure it has to do with the difference between the 8.8" live rear axle, and the 8.8" IRS.
A lot of vendors still sell 4.10 gears for live rear axle cars.
I've never seen 4.10 for the IRS, and 4.09 is close enough not to worry about it.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I’ve done some basic performance mods.
I have LTH, Exhaust, CAI, and a tune. But I’m bored of it. I’m making about 450rwhp and I’m used to it now. The car is really loud with the valves open and that’s been the only thing that makes it fun to drive at the moment.

I already have suspension parts installed.

Supercharger or Turbos are out of the picture right now because they’re $8-10k. What else can I do to my car to get some more power, or just a lot more fun? E85 is pretty far from where I live so I can’t do E85.

I was considering Nitrous because it’s only about a grand. Anyone else plateaued with their car?
My advice is don't use it
Swapping your rear gears and adding an MGW shifter is a game changer with the mt-82D4.
Agreed on the gears. I did 4.09 gears and changed the whole cars feel.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
3.55 to 4.09 is a huge jump and enough for most people. It won't feel like a short ratio trans by any means but imo it's the sweet spot. 4.56 is like a 15-17 with 3.73 which has you shifting quite a lot. Some may enjoy that more though.
Those of us with the setup in the bold sure like it. At least I do. Between that and my GT350 intake with injectors and flex tune, the thing has some balls. First gear is all but worthless on 305 rears, but it's a hoot.

Don't fear the gear.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Those of us with the setup in the bold sure like it. At least I do. Between that and my GT350 intake with injectors and flex tune, the thing has some balls. First gear is all but worthless on 305 rears, but it's a hoot.

Don't fear the gear.
Oh it's definitely more fun that way. I just daily drive mine a lot so I enjoy a more middle ground setup as far as gear length goes. It also doesn't help you need aftermarket tuning to go above 4.09 on the 19+ cars.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Oh it's definitely more fun that way. I just daily drive mine a lot so I enjoy a more middle ground setup as far as gear length goes. It also doesn't help you need aftermarket tuning to go above 4.09 on the 19+ cars.
This is without a doubt a very expensive mod to do ($2500+). IMO, if a person is going to be upgrading the rear gear, he/she should also consider beefing up the entire drivetrain and suspension to help the car live, otherwise, the weak links will be revealed. I would suggest doing all mods that would require a tune anyways and add in the gear change as well, so that everything woukd be covered under one price tag.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I wish I had pushed my Bullitt hard enough in the beginning to know that it had lazy gearing. Had I done so, I wound have upgraded the rear gear when I had the cradle out of the car, with just 472 miles on the odometer Now, it would suck to have to undo all of the mods that I’ve already done thus far, to go back and do a gear swap.

That’s why I’ve emphasized doing it in the tranny (if it can be done). AFAIK Calimer is the only one that has that ability to do this via his billet gear sets. He told me he would only sell them to me if he did my build and since I did my own build, I was SOL.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had pushed my Bullitt hard enough in the beginning to know that it had lazy gearing. Had I done so, I wound have upgraded the rear gear when I had the cradle out of the car, with just 472 miles on the odometer Now, it would suck to have to undo all of the mods that I’ve already done thus far, to go back and do a gear swap.

That’s why I’ve emphasized doing it in the tranny (if it can be done). AFAIK Calimer is the only one that has that ability to do this via his billet gear sets. He told me he would only sell them to me if he did my build and since I did my own build, I was SOL.
I thought ring and pinion swaps could be done with the subframe and diff on the car :?

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I thought ring and pinion swaps could be done with the subframe and diff on the car :?
That may be possible, but if I were going to do mine, I’d want the entire cradle out from underneath the car, so that I could work very comfortably.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is without a doubt a very expensive mod to do ($2500+). IMO, if a person is going to be upgrading the rear gear, he/she should also consider beefing up the entire drivetrain and suspension to help the car live, otherwise, the weak links will be revealed. I would suggest doing all mods that would require a tune anyways and add in the gear change as well, so that everything woukd be covered under one price tag.
I had my gears done for $1400 all in including the gears.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
I was trying to figure this out by myself but I have to ask…in several posts there is mention of performing a tune with the higher numeric gear upgrade, what is the tune? What is affected having done the tune?
Thank you.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was trying to figure this out by myself but I have to ask…in several posts there is mention of performing a tune with the higher numeric gear upgrade, what is the tune? What is affected having done the tune?
Thank you.
I had the Ford Performance Power Kit with the ProCal 4 tool.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thank you.
You need a software adjustment to update the tables in the bcm and pcm for active rev matching and speedo calibration and the like. The Ford Performance power pack can do up to 4.09, but it only supports 2018 to 2021 model year cars. Thus for the newer ones you need an aftermarket tune.
Sponsored