Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Hello,

Thought I would share something I have been working on for a while.

I have a 2019 Mustang GT 10R80 with a Whipple. I typically run around on summer only street tires, but the tires are still no match for the power this thing makes in the first few gears. Depending on the weather, the pulley I am running, and the fuel I am running (pump gas or E85), I can spin the tires from a roll up to fifth gear. I have wanted to get boost (torque) by gear working on this but the Whipple OS seemed to make the intuitive options not work properly.

After testing a few things and working with one of our incredibly knowledgable forum members (@engineermike), I got it working...and it's hilarious. I can finally go WOT in any gear from any speed on my street tires without traction issues.

As you can see from this screen shot, at WOT (light blue line) in second gear it is limiting the torque (white line) to ~400 ft lbs. You can see that first gear is lower and third gear is higher. In this data log I had it set to 300 ft lbs in first, 400 ft lbs in second, and 500 ft lbs in third. You can see load (pink), torque (white), and throttle blade percentage (yellow) increase with every gear change corresponding with how I have the torque limits set in the calibration.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 165413.png

This is nowhere near fully dialed in. Each gear can take more power, and as you can see below it is also based on RPM, so I can really dial this in. This was a guess at how much first gear could take and then an increase with each gear change for testing purposes.

There are several limitations or possible issues that need to be contended with to make this work. For starters, the way the stock Mustang GT (and most all other V8 Mustang calibrations including Whipple) control the throttle blade for WOT operation is very simple. It basically ignores the driver demand table after a certain, calibrate-able, throttle pedal percentage. In order for torque by gear to work, the driver demand for WOT needs to be configured more like an Ecoboost, where it uses the driver demand table at WOT rather than ignoring it. The second limitation is that it only works through 6th gear, which I assume is a left over from either the 6R80 and/or the MT-82. I don't see this as a huge issue, becuase as you can see in the below screen shot I have it maxed out by fifth gear, but I guess some might find this limiting.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 165824.png

My next plan is to dial in the torque values more accurately for my setup, and then I am going to integrate this into one of my PCMTEC Custom OS slots so I can switch between a torque limited slot and a slot that has full power in all gears.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Man, that's awesome. I am glad you two are working this thing out. I hope it can be adapted easily to the MT82 cars as mine is about to be fully functional and back on the road in a few more days.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Man, that's awesome. I am glad you two are working this thing out. I hope it can be adapted easily to the MT82 cars as mine is about to be fully functional and back on the road in a few more days.
The MT-82 is easier. There is an array of transmission torque truncation tables that just work. For whatever reason, on the Whipple OS, the transmission torque truncation by gear table doesn't work. I have tried it a dozen times.

You can see one of the tables in this screen shot and then tables for each gear along the top.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 173939.png

Last edited:

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought the PCMTech single car edition, but I have NO idea how to use it. The car is currently running on a 93 tune with HPTuners but engineermike is going to tune it once I get the new clutch and engine broken in. Then we are going to do the flex fuel tune too.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I bought the PCMTech single car edition, but I have NO idea how to use it. The car is currently running on a 93 tune with HPTuners but engineermike is going to tune it once I get the new clutch and engine broken in. Then we are going to do the flex fuel tune too.
You're in good hands.

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'll be revisiting this for the mt82. Monitor you wb/ fuel and make sure it enters pe. Cams too. Trans tq limiting works on Roush cals but jumps to pulling timing first vs tb. May need to force lambda with cold fuel table. Using dd works but not all calls will accept DD request over 738ftlbs. I've seen some put a knee in the ttl tables at boost onset to work around. Haven't tried that myself. Otherwise you'll get throttle closure depending on tq cal/ boost and temps in the higher gears if it clips this amount. The crank compensation table can cause some swings and once your using DD it's ideal to keep the tq ratio right around a 1.

Supposedly the engine selection in tq>general and all set to 11111 is supposed to bypass clip limits. Haven't tried that either.

Good stuff though! Might over shoot by 25ftlbs or something and let traction control pull out one degree and ride the line a bit more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I'll be revisiting this for the mt82. Monitor you wb/ fuel and make sure it enters pe. Cams too. Trans tq limiting works on Roush cals but jumps to pulling timing first vs tb. May need to force lambda with cold fuel table. Using dd works but not all calls will accept DD request over 738ftlbs. I've seen some put a knee in the ttl tables at boost onset to work around. Haven't tried that myself. Otherwise you'll get throttle closure depending on tq cal/ boost and temps in the higher gears if it clips this amount. The crank compensation table can cause some swings and once your using DD it's ideal to keep the tq ratio right around a 1.

Supposedly the engine selection in tq>general and all set to 11111 is supposed to bypass clip limits. Haven't tried that either.

Good stuff though! Might over shoot by 25ftlbs or something and let traction control pull out one degree and ride the line a bit more.
Thanks for the pointers. It enters OP cam timing and WOT PE just like itā€™s supposed to even when itā€™s limiting torque. I had to command a big driver demand value to get the TB to open 100% when WOT and itā€™s not limiting tq, but it does now.

I plan to dial it in more. Iā€™ll probably leave my base tune slot a bit conservative on power so it doesnā€™t spin at all, then Iā€™ll have a full power slot, and maybe Iā€™ll do one other thatā€™s in between the base and full power so I have a few options.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
This is awesome, I'm still here patiently waiting for your flex fuel sensors.

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
This is awesome, I'm still here patiently waiting for your flex fuel sensors.
Thanks. Iā€™m now working on a much more OEM-like integration of the ethanol sensor into the CAN bus. There are things in the works with all that. More to follow.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Thanks. Iā€™m now working on a much more OEM-like integration of the ethanol sensor into the CAN bus. There are things in the works with all that. More to follow.
Noice! Just keep us in the loop, car forums is my only source of social media.

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Awesome write up!

gorditas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
This is really interesting stuff, nice work! My questions are truly for understanding, not a critique.

If I understand this strategy, you are essentially employing an electronic throttle stop: the pedal is pushed to the floor, but the angle of the blade in the throttle body is limited to various angles under specified conditions. Are your torque values referenced from previous dyno data, and then correlated to a specific CFM that results in that approximate torque, or are you using some sort of strain gauge to actually measure torque live?

Is the throttle response and rate of RPM increase affected by this strategy? I ask because in effect, this is partial throttle acceleration, and I want to wrap my head around it. I'm planning on a twin turbo system and was thinking more along the lines of boost by gear, but am uncertain how difficult/possible it would be to reliably control boost at very low levels (IE only a pound or two in 1st gear)

Midwestracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Subbed for this my 18 10r Whipple could def use this in the future for index classes I'm running in drag and drive events and just overall

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If I understand this strategy, you are essentially employing an electronic throttle stop:
It is torque based. When you push the throttle it has no direct effect on the throttle blade. It is a torque request. So if your tires will spin at 100 Lb/ft and you limit power to 90 the blade will open far enough to give that amount of power.

You will accelerate as fast as is possible with your current set up.

If you have ever watched Street Outlaws one guy said he has a $50,000 box that makes sure he can get down a dirt road. This is a lots cheaper form of that device.
Sponsored