Sponsored

BMW people; what's their obsession with Mustang GT's?

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Here I am sitting at a light waiting for the green and a loud car pulls up beside me, and begins revving his engine(it was hard to see what as he stopped in my blindspot). After pulling off on the green I see its a BMW 230i(the 4 cyl. turbo version rated at 255 hp). Sounds like he was running a straight exhaust, lots of turbo noise & blow off valve noise. I got caught at the next light about a mile down the road and he cuts a couple of lanes -just so he can line up beside me. We are at the front of the line, 6 lane road, light traffic, 45 mph limit.

I know 4 cyl.'s can be heavily modified(I use to have an Evo) and that BMW usually under rates their hp output from the factory. So I said to myself "let's give this guy "Sport" mode-just in case. Me: Gen 3 Coyote with A10-all stock.

The light turns green, we start rolling and at 5 mph he hits it. So did I! He stayed with me until about 40, then he got 3 car lengths for his trouble. Next light he makes a right turn and disappears. Didn't even roll down his tinted window to say thanks. The last 2 BMW's(who also picked on me, got the same treatment)

Now I can appreciate his heavily modded BMW running well, but picking on a Mustang GT thinking he's going to beat it? No, I can't figure out why either. I imagine if he had beat me he would be bragging to his friends"I just kicked a guy's ass in a Mustang GT with my little 4 cylinder".

Yeah right! Mustang GT=3, BMW's=0.
Sponsored

ralph7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2000 GMC 1500, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'm an old guy (71) that just bought a '19 low mile Bullitt, used to street race everybody back
in the early 70's with various home built GM cars, won a lot, usually not for money.
That trait still remains, but nowadays you can go to jail and get your car taken away from you, maybe to never return? I don't know and don't want to find out.
But yeah, the urge is still there, so thanx for the BMW warning... :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That trait still remains, but nowadays you can go to jail and get your car taken away from you, maybe to never return?
Usually as long as you don't spin tires or exceed the speed limit they look the other way. At least in my part of the woods.

Traffic is so bad here I can't even play on the freeway unless it's 3 AM. I'm too old to be out at that time.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
It's the same obsession I have with BMWs/Hellcats/Ricers/etc. 🚗

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
At 29 you would think that I would get into trouble racing folks like this but I don't. Its called maturity and not caring about showing off.

I never participate in any of that street race crap. I think it is dumb. Buzz off and leave me alone as I cruise on a sunny day in my droptop mustang to go volunteer or drive my viper to Costco to pick up groceries. I'll see ya at the next light once I'm done sipping on my coffee. I don't have anything to prove to random strangers on the road.

Sponsored

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I'm in Atlanta. I know better than to take that bait. I have 3 friends with BMWs, and one is an older box style(I'm not familiar with models because I dont care for them) thats a turbo car. It's an absolute monster. The others are newer M series. I've rode in them all and I wouldn't race any of them. If I was supercharged maybe I would. The way they launch I'd need slicks to leave the way they do. In my humble opinion my car is a force to be reckoned with to be N/A, but chasing someone down is not my type of race!

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm constantly getting "challenged" when I'm out, in traffic, at stoplights, busy areas, all over. Probably equal parts Chargers, Hellcat Challengers, BMWs, and the occasional Supra lately. However, I've seen a few too many bad endings to that story so I don't indulge....UNLESS we're on a highway/TP since there's no side streets and NO traffic, then if I'm interested in the other car, from that speed, I'll go a few seconds to see and hear both cars. It's not much more than time to accelerate to get past someone on a two lane road when there's a passing lane.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I'm always looking to race when I'm out & about solo, but most won't due to the fact that I won't race in town. They want to take it to a back street or highway then I'm game. Also don't like rolls, prefer digs.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
At 29 you would think that I would get into trouble racing folks like this but I don't. Its called maturity and not caring about showing off.

I never participate in any of that street race crap. I think it is dumb. Buzz off and leave me alone as I cruise on a sunny day in my droptop mustang to go volunteer or drive my viper to Costco to pick up groceries. I'll see ya at the next light once I'm done sipping on my coffee. I don't have anything to prove to random strangers on the road.
Street racing isn't really racing. It's about how willing you are keep your foot on the gas, so why bother, right?

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

It’s dumb and the risks aren’t worth the reward. You could end up with an impounded car, hefty ticket or possibly a night in the clink. And that’s not even the worst that could happen.

Not to say I haven’t done dumb things in my youth, but never in a car and the only person that could’ve (and did a few times) gotten hurt was me.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well, 3 series and M4s and such are basically German muscle cars, so they're just trying to be muscle car community, they just aren't terribly good at it.. My previous car before this was actually an underpowered, 10 year old E46 3 series.

BMW coupes and mustangs have an ton in common. For years the M3s and Mustang GTs competed in FS in autocross, with the 2011 ZCP M3 being the car to have in the class. I kind of miss driving against them.

At this track day back in 2018, this M4 (and it's driver) were a close match for my near stock PP1. (I had good tires at least).

I'm passing on the straight here.
Cota1.jpg

He was close behind still a few corners later. In this shot I nail the apex and he missed it by a bit too much.
Cota2.jpg

Cleesj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP 401a 6MT MP
Funny enough.. a couple months ago, it's a long story.. but essentially I ended up with a 2011 BMW 550i for a very little amount of money, or else I would of passed, but.. I feel I have more people try to race me when I am in that than in my mustang, lol. And the 4.4L twin turbo V8 runs pretty strong

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Here I am sitting at a light waiting for the green and a loud car pulls up beside me, and begins revving his engine(it was hard to see what as he stopped in my blindspot). After pulling off on the green I see its a BMW 230i(the 4 cyl. turbo version rated at 255 hp). Sounds like he was running a straight exhaust, lots of turbo noise & blow off valve noise. I got caught at the next light about a mile down the road and he cuts a couple of lanes -just so he can line up beside me. We are at the front of the line, 6 lane road, light traffic, 45 mph limit.

I know 4 cyl.'s can be heavily modified(I use to have an Evo) and that BMW usually under rates their hp output from the factory. So I said to myself "let's give this guy "Sport" mode-just in case. Me: Gen 3 Coyote with A10-all stock.

The light turns green, we start rolling and at 5 mph he hits it. So did I! He stayed with me until about 40, then he got 3 car lengths for his trouble. Next light he makes a right turn and disappears. Didn't even roll down his tinted window to say thanks. The last 2 BMW's(who also picked on me, got the same treatment)

Now I can appreciate his heavily modded BMW running well, but picking on a Mustang GT thinking he's going to beat it? No, I can't figure out why either. I imagine if he had beat me he would be bragging to his friends"I just kicked a guy's ass in a Mustang GT with my little 4 cylinder".

Yeah right! Mustang GT=3, BMW's=0.
I have both and both are fun for different reasons, Coyote wins; no contest
IMG_3159.jpeg
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_3159.jpeg
IMG_0545.jpeg

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)