ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang (Oxford White, PP)
A drop of oil can produce a shit ton of smoke. For everyone thinking its the pcv system I'm sorry, you are for sure headed down the wrong path. The fix for this is an aftermarket turbo, or reducing the amount of oil the turbo is fed. Even if Ford replaces your turbo, I'm sure as of now its the same one going back in. If someone with some machining skills can replace the banjo bolt for the feed line, I'm sure the issue will be less prominent. BUT I have no clue how to figure out how much oil can be restricted before the turbo is compromised.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR IC JLT CAI ATP DP Meth INJ Cobb Tune FR ABs
I am one of the smokers. I had my oil changed at 3K and yesterday at 6K. I was 1/2 qt low. Also I noticed I have a pretty significant amount of oily residue inside my intake, right next to the turbo.

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A drop of oil can produce a shit ton of smoke. For everyone thinking its the pcv system I'm sorry, you are for sure headed down the wrong path. The fix for this is an aftermarket turbo, or reducing the amount of oil the turbo is fed. Even if Ford replaces your turbo, I'm sure as of now its the same one going back in. If someone with some machining skills can replace the banjo bolt for the feed line, I'm sure the issue will be less prominent. BUT I have no clue how to figure out how much oil can be restricted before the turbo is compromised.

I'm going to quote you when my wife sees the bill for my new turbo upgrade.

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto

Ooookkaaayy....if that's the case, then why does it smoke at idle (lower oil pressure/flow), but not any other time. It all points to pressure building in the crankcase at idle, and forcing a small amount of oil past the turbo shaft seal. This could be the reasoning behind the engine shutoff delay that is in place to shut the engine down if it idles for x time period. This is the first car I've owned that truly has a positive crankcase ventilation system...all the others operated under a vacuum, even at idle. My turbo Buicks actually had a check valve type PCV to prevent boost pressure from entering the crankcase. It was easy to tell when it went bad....looked like you were fogging mosquitos..lol. I also added an inline check valve to them to be doubly sure no pressure made it into the crankcase. Depending on how the 2.3T system is designed, might be something we have to look into as a stop gap.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Ooookkaaayy....if that's the case, then why does it smoke at idle (lower oil pressure/flow), but not any other time. It all points to pressure building in the crankcase at idle, and forcing a small amount of oil past the turbo shaft seal. This could be the reasoning behind the engine shutoff delay that is in place to shut the engine down if it idles for x time period. This is the first car I've owned that truly has a positive crankcase ventilation system...all the others operated under a vacuum, even at idle. My turbo Buicks actually had a check valve type PCV to prevent boost pressure from entering the crankcase. It was easy to tell when it went bad....looked like you were fogging mosquitos..lol. I also added an inline check valve to them to be doubly sure no pressure made it into the crankcase. Depending on how the 2.3T system is designed, might be something we have to look into as a stop gap.
Ok I spoke with UPR & they told me that their 2 valve catch can takes care of that issue, rx catch can also had a similar setup which also addresses the positive pressure along with catching oil. I've been researching in an improved pcv system & everything points to what I have already & going off what UPR has told me it's pointing to the turbo...

Sponsored

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
Ok I spoke with UPR & they told me that their 2 valve catch can takes care of that issue, rx catch can also had a similar setup which also addresses the positive pressure along with catching oil. I've been researching in an improved pcv system & everything points to what I have already & going off what UPR has told me it's pointing to the turbo...
Guess I should have coughed up the extra $$ and got the 2V can instead of the regular one :headbonk:. I wonder if once the seal is compromised, that's all she wrote and you will be stuck with a leaker. I haven't seen any smoke since the T6 swap and bumped idle, but I can definitely smell it when the breeze is just right. Guess I'll start saving my pennies and get ready for a turbo swap. In hindsight, maybe I should have said F it and bought the GT, or a Scat Pack Challenger....had to be a cheap ass and get the Eco..:lol:.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Guess I should have coughed up the extra $$ and got the 2V can instead of the regular one :headbonk:. I wonder if once the seal is compromised, that's all she wrote and you will be stuck with a leaker. I haven't seen any smoke since the T6 swap and bumped idle, but I can definitely smell it when the breeze is just right. Guess I'll start saving my pennies and get ready for a turbo swap. In hindsight, maybe I should have said F it and bought the GT, or a Scat Pack Challenger....had to be a cheap ass and get the Eco..:lol:.
Its possible. With a bad PCV system (or one only designed for NA) bmw's that go FI end up with tons of seals pushed out. A serious PCV overhaul fixes it. I'm hoping to not go above and beyond with my brand new car, but only time will tell.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I know Joe from UPR had mentioned that their regular CC was getting boost pressure introduced into the can & I'm assuming due to the fact that no check valves were in place & a few other kits out there also imo are having this issue since check valves aren't in place. Anyhow yes it's a set back but even if it means replacing the turbo which Ford is doing or replacing it with let say MAPS kit I'm still under in price from a GT or anything else but hey to each their own

ScottyP3821

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MEB MAN
The 2v isnt doing anymore than the one valve. It still is venting from the same location just pulling vacuum from two sides. You want to be pulling pressure from the intake. Pulling vacuum pre turbo won't do anymore good than pulling from the intake. A single valve system is fine. What needs to happen is a second can be added and pull pressure off of not only the crankcase but also from the top of the cylinder head. A second can should be added and ran from the valve cover to the intake. That way pressure is being relieved both from the top and bottom of the motor.

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
I've read through all of these posts and the posts about positive part of the PCV system made me wonder whether it might be worthwhile for one of the guys with a smoker to let the car idle until it starts smoking and then remove the oil filler cap and gently or partially hook up a shop-vac to the oil filler cap to put the crankcase under vacuum and see if the car suddenly stops smoking. It might be an interesting experiment to see if the positive pressure in the PCV system is the problem.

I don't think you'd want to make a tight seal with the oil filler cap and the shop-vac. That much vacuum might cause funny things to happen with the engine. But produce enough vacuum to relieve the positive pressure in the crankcase could produce some interesting data.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know where the positive pressure is coming from? I know you get some from blow-by, but blow-by is worse under boost, not at idle. I've heard of PCV systems that tap some of the incoming air to pressurize the crankcase. Does the EB do this?

Last edited:

Sponsored

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
The 2v isnt doing anymore than the one valve. It still is venting from the same location just pulling vacuum from two sides. You want to be pulling pressure from the intake. Pulling vacuum pre turbo won't do anymore good than pulling from the intake. A single valve system is fine. What needs to happen is a second can be added and pull pressure off of not only the crankcase but also from the top of the cylinder head. A second can should be added and ran from the valve cover to the intake. That way pressure is being relieved both from the top and bottom of the motor.
Hey, Scotty. My understanding is that the EB PCV system has 2 sources of vacuum. The stronger of the 2 is the from the intake behind the throttle body. That one goes to the PCV valve in the crankcase, but is only good when not under boost. Under boost, the PCV valve shuts it off to keep the boost from pressurizing the crankcase. The weaker one is vacuum from the intake pre-turbo. I thought that one went to the crankcase too, but since there's no danger of it ever being pressurized, it is working all of the time. Where else could you get vacuum from to pull more of the pressure out of the engine?

I think there's a chance that the UPR 2-valve CC might be able to produce better vacuum under boost than the stock WOT vacuum line. Their latest version of the can replaces the stock silicone reducer at the turbo inlet with one that has a vacuum connection right on the reducer. Since the vacuum connection is right there where the intake is necking down to meet the turbo inlet, the air velocity across the vacuum connection will be increased which should product a stronger vacuum, I would think.

I'm following all of this closely because I should be getting my EB in another 6 weeks or so, and I'd like to know what I can do to stop this before it starts.

sj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
I've read through all of these posts and the posts about positive part of the PCV system made me wonder whether it might be worthwhile for one of the guys with a smoker to let the car idle until it starts smoking and then remove the oil filler cap and gently or partially hook up a shop-vac to the oil filler cap to put the crankcase under vacuum and see if the car suddenly stops smoking. It might be an interesting experiment to see if the positive pressure in the PCV system is the problem.

I don't think you'd want to make a tight seal with the oil filler cap and the shop-vac. That much vacuum might cause funny things to happen with the engine. But produce enough vacuum to relieve the positive pressure in the crankcase could produce some interesting data.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know where the positive pressure is coming from? I know you get some from blow-by, but blow-by is worse under boost, not at idle. I've heard of PCV systems that tap some of the incoming air to pressurize the crankcase. Does the EB do this?
If anyone is thinking of doing this, make sure your shop vac doesn't pass process air through its motor in anyway. Most don't, but even if it doesn't crazy things can happen with flammable mixtures, please be careful. Oil aerosol makes a nice fire ball when ignited.

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange--Did you ever get your stock turbo swapped? I'm trying to justify my turbo upgrade and need your help with the correct answer here. I mean, if all Ford is going to do is keep throwing the same old shitty stock turbo on it, I might as well get a 800 HP turbo and build my engine, right?:shrug:

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
If anyone is thinking of doing this, make sure your shop vac doesn't pass process air through its motor in anyway. Most don't, but even if it doesn't crazy things can happen with flammable mixtures, please be careful. Oil aerosol makes a nice fire ball when ignited.
Damn good point! I actually didn't know that oil aerosol could ignite like that, and I was just thinking about the oil vaports, not about the fuel vapors in the blow-by. Thanks!

Last edited:

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Orange--Did you ever get your stock turbo swapped? I'm trying to justify my turbo upgrade and need your help with the correct answer here. I mean, if all Ford is going to do is keep throwing the same old shitty stock turbo on it, I might as well get a 800 HP turbo and build my engine, right?:shrug:
Hey Frogger no not yet the warranty turbo is at the dealer but this being my only car I don't know how long they are going to take to replace it so I'm trying to work it around my day off.
Sponsored