Sponsored

Blade key and enhanced security package.

5.0onBoard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Black GTPPP
This Sunday I took my car to get detailed at a local car wash center.

I was bs'ing with the intake guy about the local sports team while he tried to upsell me, no biggie.

I went inside to grab a cola and pay the bill when a younger kid comes in and says "Sir, you forgot to give us your key."

I thought nothing of it and handed over the keyfob and apologized.

The guys did a fine job and I tipped them. The fob was in the coin holder and I went on my way.

Today I looked at the fob and noticed it was slightly open while sitting on my desk. I pop the cover off thinking that it just came open when I find the blade missing from inside the fob. I have not had a chance to check for missing paperwork or if Im missing the back up garage door opener.

So my question is twofold.

First, what can come of this. I understand the blade can open the passenger door and the glove box but not start the car. But how does this work with the enhanced security package. Will the alarm go off? Will the center console stay locked? The car is not with me otherwise I would do some testing myself.

Secondly, how do I get a new blade? Im slightly OCD and having a fob with a missing component irritates the shit out of me.

Thanks

TLDR;
Blade was stolen from key fob at car wash. How will stolen blade work if used on car with enhanced security package and how do I get another blade.
Sponsored

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
I would call them and see if they have it, before I worried about it too much. And talk with the manager, and inform him. The best case is you can just go in and pick it up. Worst case you change the access code to your garage, and buy a new key.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
No shit. I would be headed back there and confronting whomever stole it. And taking my goddamn tip back.

OP
OP
5.0onBoard

5.0onBoard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Black GTPPP
The problem is I dont know who stole it. There are probably 20 people working at this place at any moment. I know the guy who checked my car in (not personally) and I remember the kid who came and got my key. Then there were several actual car washer guys. Ill try the manager I guess.

I was curious in case they took some personal info like my address how the alarm would act when used with the blade.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This is why I never let other people wash my car.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
The problem is I dont know who stole it. There are probably 20 people working at this place at any moment. I know the guy who checked my car in (not personally) and I remember the kid who came and got my key. Then there were several actual car washer guys. Ill try the manager I guess.

I was curious in case they took some personal info like my address how the alarm would act when used with the blade.
My 2014 Edge Limited had a blade key, and when I used it, the alarm went off. With the electronic start, there is no way to start the car with the key, so they would only be able to take items left inside the car while the alarm is blaring.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Yeah I'd make sure you get that blade key because I think if they put it in another fob, it'll work on your car.

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
Yeah I'd make sure you get that blade key because I think if they put it in another fob, it'll work on your car.
No....That's now how they work. The blade key has no chip in it at all. The equivalent would be putting a piece of metal into an explorer key and saying it would work on the mustang. All fobs are programmed to their car.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The key does nothing but opening the doors and the glove box.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm betting the alarm would deactivate if the door is opened with a blade key. Haven't tried it, but seems the car would sense that the lock was turned by the key and therefore not sound the alarm.

OP - you can use the blade key in your spare remote to do a test and find out first hand.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'm betting the alarm would deactivate if the door is opened with a blade key. Haven't tried it, but seems the car would sense that the lock was turned by the key and therefore not sound the alarm.
I thought the blade is nothing but a physical unlock device and most alarm system looks for physical unlocking the door to sound the alarm.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I thought the blade is nothing but a physical unlock device and most alarm system looks for physical unlocking the door to sound the alarm.
Depends on the design of the lock. If it somehow can tell if the lock was turned with the key instead of being forced or jimmied somehow, then the car may disable the alarm before the door is opened. Only way to know is do the test with the blade key.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Yeah carwash guy definitely snatched it and needs to be dealt with. Blade for blade
Blade1.jpg

OP
OP
5.0onBoard

5.0onBoard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Black GTPPP
I'll be back to my car in about an hour and will post an update. I have the extra glove box key in addition to the blade key from the other fob.
Sponsored