Sponsored

Bags or coilovers?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my ecoboost and am having a hard time deciding whether to go with the airlift performance kit or go coilovers. Pros/cons? :shrug:
Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
If you have the money, go bags. Although I'm biased lol. Unless you're like a diehard SCCA racer, The Airlift Performance series will fit and exceed your expectations.

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Funny I was actually wondering this since I just got a partial sponsorship and was considering going with bags.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Just realized you wanted specific pros/cons.

Pros:
-Height adjustability on your smart phone
-No puckering while going over speed bumps, just raise her up!
-Aired out looks pretty damn good IMO.
-Adjustable dampening on all 4 corners, just like coilovers
-No need for ramps to get the car on a jack or lift. Just raise her up and slide them under.

Cons:
-Maintenance is going to be a little more than coil overs. Need to empty the tank every now and then. Make sure to drain the water trap. Literally takes but 10 minutes of your time to do those things.

-A little additional weight, depends on how many compressors you go with (1 or 2), tank size etc. But with the weight savings from the OEM struts, springs etc. as the Airlift set are lighter, you are probably talking a max gain of 20-25lbs wet.

-Lengthier Install time. Probably about 2-4 hours longer for running electrical wiring, airlines, mounting components.

OP
OP
ecoboostdan2.3
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Yeah I have been in contact with hypermotive about taking my car up there to do a purchase/install combo for the new airlift v2 digital kit. Have been very impressed with the reviews and ratings of airlifts products as a whole. On the downside, it will cost me about twice as much to go bags vs coilovers. I would do the install myself (as I have for all my other mods) but in this case I think I would rather a professional job since I don't have access to a lift.

Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I have been in contact with hypermotive about taking my car up there to do a purchase/install combo for the new airlift v2 digital kit. Have been very impressed with the reviews and ratings of airlifts products as a whole. On the downside, it will cost me about twice as much to go bags vs coilovers. I would do the install myself (as I have for all my other mods) but in this case I think I would rather a professional job since I don't have access to a lift.
Have you installed springs before? Stuts/Shocks? If so you can do this man. It wasn't overly difficult.

I installed my kit on jack stands by myself. There are a lot of resources to pull from for videos/write-ups etc. You can always PM me if you decide to do it yourself and run into some snags.

Also a few of those pros like smart phone integration, height sensors etc. aren't available on the V2 kit.

-Trevor

OP
OP
ecoboostdan2.3
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Have you installed springs before? Stuts/Shocks? If so you can do this man. It wasn't overly difficult.

I installed my kit on jack stands by myself. There are a lot of resources to pull from for videos/write-ups etc. You can always PM me if you decide to do it yourself and run into some snags.

Also a few of those pros like smart phone integration, height sensors etc. aren't available on the V2 kit.

-Trevor
Yeah I've done a few spring and shock/ strut installs, and really could probably do this myself as well, just weighing out all my options lol. Which kit from airlift do you have?

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I've done a few spring and shock/ strut installs, and really could probably do this myself as well, just weighing out all my options lol. Which kit from airlift do you have?
Then I'm sure you CAN do it. Just all that matters if you feel like putting in the hassle and time in doing it haha. A lift sure would have been nice through all that though lol.

I have the 3H kit.

OP
OP
ecoboostdan2.3
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Then I'm sure you CAN do it. Just all that matters if you feel like putting in the hassle and time in doing it haha. A lift sure would have been nice through all that though lol.

I have the 3H kit.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase that specific kit, and how much was it?

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase that specific kit, and how much was it?
I got mine for a really good deal the day the 3H kit was released. I got mine from Andrew at www.OpenRoadTuning.com . Call them up and ask for Andrew and say Trevor referred you :thumbsup: .

Sponsored

BAdrosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Cobra
I have coil overs but would have gone bags had it been in the budget, can't tell you how many times I've gone over a train track or into a steep driveway wondering if I was going to rip the front bumper off.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP

We'll definitely take care of ya. In the end, I think you'll be very happy. We've done ALOT of installs on these systems so if you want us to install, we can definitely get it done for you. If you want to install yourself, give us a shout during the process if you end up running into snags. In the end, we work on Mustangs, specialize in Mustangs and race Mustangs.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just realized you wanted specific pros/cons.

Pros:
-Height adjustability on your smart phone
-No puckering while going over speed bumps, just raise her up!
-Aired out looks pretty damn good IMO.
-Adjustable dampening on all 4 corners, just like coilovers
-No need for ramps to get the car on a jack or lift. Just raise her up and slide them under.

Cons:
-Maintenance is going to be a little more than coil overs. Need to empty the tank every now and then. Make sure to drain the water trap. Literally takes but 10 minutes of your time to do those things.
AccuAir has sensors to measure the ride height on all corners so the car is leveled.

-A little additional weight, depends on how many compressors you go with (1 or 2), tank size etc. But with the weight savings from the OEM struts, springs etc. as the Airlift set are lighter, you are probably talking a max gain of 20-25lbs wet.

-Lengthier Install time. Probably about 2-4 hours longer for running electrical wiring, airlines, mounting components.
My question is how does it know if its leveled? Is it a pressure based system or the controller is actually looking at height?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
3P is a pressure based system whereas the 3H is height sensor based.