DJinAC

More cars than brains
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super Black Nissan Altima SL
My MKZ is AWD and its fun to throw around when its wet or dry. There is something about driving a slow car fast that is better than a fast car slow. That being said I do miss the GT but my lower back just would let me keep it as a daily. I will pick up a used one someday for a weekend toy.
Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
For the cost of that Porsche, you could own 3 or 4 different Ford models, all for different purposes.

Part of living in areas where heavy annual snowfall is common, most people already accept that their non-winter car will get parked for the winter season, and many have two sets of wheels/tires for different seasons, in addition to snow chains.

An AWD Mustang will never happen. Almost every manufacturer not based in Germany would rather steer you to many other models they build that have AWD as an option if that's a requirement, as they don't have buyers willing to part with $100-200k for a single all-purpose vehicle.

Ever notice that almost every high-performance AWD drive car comes out of Germany, where is snows often. An exception is the Nissan GT-R, which is not particularly suited for snow driving like the Germans build.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You can drive RWD perfectly in snow. I drive one.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
For the cost of that Porsche, you could own 3 or 4 different Ford models, all for different purposes.

Part of living in areas where heavy annual snowfall is common, most people already accept that their non-winter car will get parked for the winter season, and many have two sets of wheels/tires for different seasons, in addition to snow chains.

An AWD Mustang will never happen. Almost every manufacturer not based in Germany would rather steer you to many other models they build that have AWD as an option if that's a requirement, as they don't have buyers willing to part with $100-200k for a single all-purpose vehicle.

Ever notice that almost every high-performance AWD drive car comes out of Germany, where is snows often. An exception is the Nissan GT-R, which is not particularly suited for snow driving like the Germans build.
Japan snows a lot too.

Stangrcr67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium, 1992 mustang lx 5.0
This is why I have a tuned audi a4 to play with when the weather isn't as nice as I would like it to be for the mustang. Plus keeps me from having to clean the mustang as often as I would otherwise. If it's not nice enough out to drive the 5.0 the way I want to then I leave it parked.

Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Japan snows a lot too.
True, but there just isn't a plethora of super sedans offered with all-wheel-drive coming out of Japan like Audi, BMW, and Porsche. The WRX is a fine car, but Turbo-4 is the only option, and the GT-R is not sold as a capable snow car.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford is doing a awd rocket....Focus RS. I don't think Ford will every mod the driveline of the stang to awd. It all goes back to stang heritage.
Ford destroyed STANG heritage, when they built the 2015 Mustang with IRS, 49 years worth of heritage.:mad:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The Focus RS started life as a transverse engine front wheel drive car that has the engine mounted ahead of the front axle. It became 4WD by adding a Haldex system that consists of a clutch pack, a drive shaft, a rear differental and a set of half shafts driving the rear wheels.

The Mustang is a RWD car with a longitudal engine that is set way back. In order to make it 4WD you will need to add a transfer case behind the transmission, a drive shaft, a front differential, and a set of front half shafts one of which goes through the oil pan. You can do that in a tallish sedan like a BMW, a Mercedes, or a Charger which is based on an old Mercedes E Class. In a low riding pony car like a Mustang? No bloody way you can make all of that fit.
This 1000hp 2015 awd mustang says hello. These can be bought.

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/ubb-unveils-1000-hp-twin-turbo-awd-mustang/

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

Sponsored

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Description of Your Car(s)
Until we get so far away from gas motors that electric/gas hybrids are common in every category of cars, I don't think we'll see it. At the very least, it would inflate the cost to something very un-mustang-like. I would love to have something like an awd performance variant, but it's just not going to happen. I'm sure it could be done- look at the jag f-types; but the price would be closer to those as well.

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Why couldn't you drive the Mustang as is with snow tires? RWD doesn't mean it's bad in the snow once you add snow tires. More control than FWD in snow.

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think there are a few levels of snow here. There is snow 1-10 inches. Then there are the parts of the country that regularly have 40+ inches of snow each winter. Snow tires or not, a mustang isn't going to do well in those circumstances.
Sponsored