Sponsored

Autocross and now service advance trac?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Yeah this is a tough one because a restart of the car fixes the issue and on my car it will clear itself while running if I let it sit for a minute.

The dealer will just say to do either of the above claim there is no problem. I believe Ford will support the above action as well because I don't believe they see the autocross enthusiast is worth the cost and trouble. Great analog track cars will probably increase/hold their value well if these systems continue to be so glitchy.
Aren't there at least some DTC's (durable trouble codes)? I've seen that terminology in the FSM but haven't looked to see if any of the ABS codes are in that category.
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I get a steering angle sensor fault code occasionally and that's it.

My car is 100% stock other than tires... I'm thinking there's something in the idea of "locking brakes with sudden high pedal pressure" causing it. Seems to happen every time I hit brakes really quickly. When I settle into a flow I seem to be able to brake as hard as I want with no issues, so it's something about braking quickly. Maybe it makes the car think there's impossible decel rates happening?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get a steering angle sensor fault code occasionally and that's it.

My car is 100% stock other than tires... I'm thinking there's something in the idea of "locking brakes with sudden high pedal pressure" causing it. Seems to happen every time I hit brakes really quickly. When I settle into a flow I seem to be able to brake as hard as I want with no issues, so it's something about braking quickly. Maybe it makes the car think there's impossible decel rates happening?
Sounds like a possibility. Do you left foot brake and if so do you ever hit the brakes really quickly before your right foot is completely off the throttle?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sounds like a possibility. Do you left foot brake and if so do you ever hit the brakes really quickly before your right foot is completely off the throttle?
I never LFB for autocross. I do tend to spike the brake pedal quickly when I'm rushing my inputs, on the RS I'd get "panic assist" (aka full ABS braking) and on the GT350 I get the silly nannies turning back on :(

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never LFB for autocross. I do tend to spike the brake pedal quickly when I'm rushing my inputs, on the RS I'd get "panic assist" (aka full ABS braking) and on the GT350 I get the silly nannies turning back on :(
First I enjoyed the pictures you posted on another forum. :) I do think you could have been at least 1/4 inch closer to the cone in the head on shot though.:D

Second I checked the FSM regarding DTC (which actually stands for diagnostic trouble code). It appears that many of those stay in memory for about 40 start/stop cycles. The FSM also mentions that Ford tools can exercise many sensors with the car in the service bay.

Third I'm sure that you and others have experienced the problem on "normal" sites but did it happen in the portion of the course with the grass growing in expansion joints?

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
First I enjoyed the pictures you posted on another forum. :) I do think you could have been at least 1/4 inch closer to the cone in the head on shot though.:D

Second I checked the FSM regarding DTC (which actually stands for diagnostic trouble code). It appears that many of those stay in memory for about 40 start/stop cycles. The FSM also mentions that Ford tools can exercise many sensors with the car in the service bay.

Third I'm sure that you and others have experienced the problem on "normal" sites but did it happen in the portion of the course with the grass growing in expansion joints?
Haha, I ran over the next cone on course, so i think I was close enough ;) The day before I hit a cone on the passenger side at 60+ mph and put a few clear coat scratches in the bumper :(

I only have the Forscan app on my phone (I do have it on my laptop but I've not used it yet), so I can't do any of the Ford tool stuff.

The entire course has grass in the expansion joints :p Let me watch the videos to see where on course it went to defaults. IIRC it happened right after a straight section of course where I think I overused the brakes to check up.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Interesting as I have never had it happen at an AutoX, I do set track mode then foot on the brake and hold TC until it says Advance Track Off. I have had it happen twice on the race track, once at Daytona when I didn't have it all the way off and the banking freaked it out and CMS when it was wet and I was running in Sport mode only. Both times it took several drive cycles before it reset itself.

Peter

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
So this weekend I had no issues.... I'm not sure if what I did fixed it or just the track conditions didn't cause it.

I took off the connectors for the steering angle sensor, all abs sensors and cleaned them out and used a electrical cleaner spray on them reseted all the connectors. I also check all axle but torque and found one slightly under. Finally I pulled all the abs sensors and cleaned them off. Performed steering angle sensor relearn as the final step.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just for my info for those of you with Premium packages and therefore a T/C and AdvanceTrac toggle switch and a separate driving mode toggle switch. Do both default to "normal" each time you start the engine or only the T/C and AdvancTrac? My base car only has one switch which defaults to normal.

I'm planning on trading my 15 base GTPP for an 18 base GTPP with 301A and MagneRide dampers. The 18's owner guide says the damper settings are based on the selected drive mode and I'm curious whether each restart for autocross runs will require both turning off AdvanceTrac and also selecting track mode.

Thanks,

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Every restart requires choosing the drive mode and THEN turning AdvanceTrac off.

I of course had no issues today... lol

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every restart requires choosing the drive mode and THEN turning AdvanceTrac off.

I of course had no issues today... lol
This is what I expected (both statements) :)

Thanks.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
so..........
what are ya'll concerned about, really? the chimes/light when it faults? i get it this all. the. time. for years. especially on uneven/low grip surfaces and during high speed elements that involve steering/braking over bumps.
the only time it has ever intruded for me was after a botched burnout at a pro solo that also triggered ABS warnings and shut the system down, rendering braking useless that run - key off/on and a short run up to the lights reset the system. is this the kind of dysfunction that everyone is experiencing here? if so, i understand the concern (but also wonder why i'm not experiencing the same behavior, especially given the amount of mods/grip i have, and how hard i'm pushing the car, relatively). otherwise, it's much ado about nothing - "expect the chimes/light and carry on" has become my mantra, and be glad ford improved fault tolerance over the s197 (which REALLY intruded, always) :)

edit: wth dick! i don't see your name reg'd for nats this year!?! you better have a good excuse/vacation planned in lieu!! :)

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so..........
what are ya'll concerned about, really? the chimes/light when it faults? i get it this all. the. time. for years. especially on uneven/low grip surfaces and during high speed elements that involve steering/braking over bumps.
the only time it has ever intruded for me was after a botched burnout at a pro solo that also triggered ABS warnings and shut the system down, rendering braking useless that run - key off/on and a short run up to the lights reset the system. is this the kind of dysfunction that everyone is experiencing here? if so, i understand the concern (but also wonder why i'm not experiencing the same behavior, especially given the amount of mods/grip i have, and how hard i'm pushing the car, relatively). otherwise, it's much ado about nothing - "expect the chimes/light and carry on" has become my mantra, and be glad ford improved fault tolerance over the s197 (which REALLY intruded, always) :)

edit: wth dick! i don't see your name reg'd for nats this year!?! you better have a good excuse/vacation planned in lieu!! :)
I've only gotten chimes and message the couple of times it happened to me in the past. However, I'm pretty sure other guys have said that AdvanceTrac reverts to "normal" rather than staying "off". This is a big deal of course.

I don't have a good excuse other than fighting to stay out of last place in FS makes it easy to skip Nats. Saving $$$ for an 18 GT PP MagneRide 301A 10A to have both performance and luxury and better autocross gearing for FS. Good luck at Nats!

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I've had the chimes also but I have had the system revert to normal on me which drastically affected my times. I could give two shits if the lights just came on.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
^^ for 350 owners the fault sets the Mag suspension to normal, turns on traction and stability control; car slows by at least 2 seconds.
Sponsored