Sponsored

Auto vs Manual

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
You mean to tell me....you can get an automatic transmission? In a Ford Mustang?

Just kidding. Kind of. Automatics have come a loooooong way since the A4OD of the fox body. But still....an auto just doesn't "feel" right in this car to me.
Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I got an Auto.. I don't dislike it at all, but I'm kicking myself for not waiting and ordering a manual..

On the plus side, my car is quicker than a manual and there's a lot less to worry about with the Auto.. from what everyone says, it's a pretty bulletproof tranny that can take a beating vs the MT82 that gets mixed opinions.. some guys swear by it, others seem to hate it and do everything they can to try and improve it as much as possible.

Don't forget also: Remote start.. oooooh.. aaaah...

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
If you feel insecure and feel you are superior and think man handling a stick is a testosterone fueling event, then by all means get a manual. When you do that to fit into the crowd you must belittle everyone who drives something else.

Seriously though just get whatever you want. Tired of these posts where people are looking for the internets opinion on whether they should by an auto or a manual.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
If you feel insecure and feel you are superior and think man handling a stick is a testosterone fueling event, then by all means get a manual. When you do that to fit into the crowd you must belittle everyone who drives something else.

Seriously though just get whatever you want. Tired of these posts where people are looking for the internets opinion on whether they should by an auto or a manual.
I think it's a legitimate question.. I was in the same position before I got my car. I wanted a manual but I realize there are advantages to the auto as well.

I didn't really ask "the internet" for their opinion on the matter but I did ask some friends who have had manual cars including stangs, in the past and almost all of them recommended the auto.

After speaking with them is when I really started to look into the pros and cons of the auto and while I never really "decided" to get an auto it went from not being an option for me to being more or less on equal ground in my mind to the manual. At that point I went to the dealer with the thought of the Manual being #1 and the auto being a close 2nd choice.. and well they just happen to have a beautiful shadow black 16' with 19'' wheels and well I just wanted it so I got it. Lol. But yeah.. I kinda regret not ordering the car exactly the way I originally intended to get it.

But again, I do not dislike the auto at all.. it's pretty good and launches damn hard from a dig, just wish it had 3.31's instead of 3.15's.

OP
OP
AoAIronman

AoAIronman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Ruby Red Manual
My original intent for this question was about which tranny is more reliable. Ive seen a bunch of posts about the clutch blowing out within less than 5000 miles which sounds like it will get old if they jus replace it with the same old crap. I also wanted to know how the paddle shifters felt after a long period of time therefore going to the dealership to test drive these doesnt help me with that.

Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
My original intent for this question was about which tranny is more reliable. Ive seen a bunch of posts about the clutch blowing out within less than 5000 miles which sounds like it will get old if they jus replace it with the same old crap. I also wanted to know how the paddle shifters felt after a long period of time therefore going to the dealership to test drive these doesnt help me with that.
Both are good. Lots of drivers cant drive stick so I take that with a grain of salt and some auto drivers beat their transmission like a race horse so I take that with a grain of salt as well.

Put down the magazine and keyboard and get what you want. If you want a manual but are concerned with the 'reliability' so you go with an auto because magazine articles and internet told you so then you really aren't happy because that's not what you want.

...And who uses paddles for a long period of time???

P.S. Over a year and 11k miles and my clutch is fine.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
99% of the clutches that dont make it are because of the operator.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350

Sponsored

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
I really want to get a manual
Welcome to the forum. If that's what you really want - get it. You don't want to buy a new car with an auto, and a month later rationalize it by saying, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

M82 is fine, clutch is fine, OEM shifter is sh!ty. Full synthetic in the tranny makes for a little more noise, but as far as the noise, I like it... I like it a lot.

99% of the clutches that dont make it are because of the operator.
YEP!

That is all...

OP
OP
AoAIronman

AoAIronman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Ruby Red Manual
What aftermarket shifter have most people been getting?

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Are you flipping kidding me there are a thousand of theses threads already
Sponsored