Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

ktodd1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack / 2016 Ecoboost Premium
Hey guys,

Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. When you head to the dealer, I'll look into assistance options on my end. Also, it's good to get these issues documented on new vehicles. This feedback helps Ford determine areas of widespread customer concern for future recalls and satisfaction programs.

Jeff
Jeff, I sent you a PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yup - same noise as mine is making as well. But, I've only heard it from in the car, and it looks like that video was from outside. His sounded a bit louder than mine, but who knows.

Jeff, Do you want that info even if we're not taking in to the dealer at this point?
Ugly John - the noise is also heard inside the cabin as well, I just rolled down the window and stuck my phone out so you can hear the noise even more from outside.
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Jeff, I sent you a PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, ktoddd1989. I'll check it out!

Jeff, Do you want that info even if we're not taking in to the dealer at this point?
It's good to get the issue documented, Ugly John, even if you don't plan on heading to the dealer. This alerts us of anyone that's having a specific issue, to see how widespread the issue may be.

Jeff

hauntedone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the same issue... The 1st dealer replaced the drive shaft but that didn't fix or stop the noise..

The 2nd dealer found the issue. Looks like the rear output shaft flange was a poor fit . They replaced it and the noise went away....for about 2k miles.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
My car makes the same noise shifting from Park to Reverse. I only notice it when the car has been sitting for an extended period of time. I haven't really worried about it and chocked it up to normal operation... Very curious to see how this develops. If we definitively determine the issue I might take mine in as well.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My car makes the same noise shifting from Park to Reverse. I only notice it when the car has been sitting for an extended period of time. I haven't really worried about it and chocked it up to normal operation... Very curious to see how this develops. If we definitively determine the issue I might take mine in as well.
Let's get this checked out, zackmd1. PM your VIN, mileage, name, phone number and dealer info. I'll connect you with a regional customer service manager to further assist.

I had the same issue... The 1st dealer replaced the drive shaft but that didn't fix or stop the noise..
The 2nd dealer found the issue. Looks like the rear output shaft flange was a poor fit . They replaced it and the noise went away....for about 2k miles.
Hey hantedone,

Glad they were able to take care of everything. Are you saying that it came back after 2k miles, or has it been good for the last 2k? Send over a PM if you're still having the issue. I'll escalate the concern.

Jeff

Sponsored

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
I got back from the dealer just now for this same issue. They are ordering a new drive shaft for me. We will see what happens, based on post above from hauntedone sounds as though another part may be the issue.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I got back from the dealer just now for this same issue. They are ordering a new drive shaft for me. We will see what happens, based on post above from hauntedone sounds as though another part may be the issue.
Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll get a customer service manager to follow up, and make sure everything's going in the right direction. :)

Jeff

hauntedone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah the first dealer replaced the driveshaft and noise was the same.. The rear flange shaft i guess is bad on all these cars as the car gets worn in. After 2k more miles the noise is getting worse for me now.

I need to take it back to the dealer but am getting tired of spending days at the dealer again.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Yeah the first dealer replaced the driveshaft and noise was the same.. The rear flange shaft i guess is bad on all these cars as the car gets worn in. After 2k more miles the noise is getting worse for me now.

I need to take it back to the dealer but am getting tired of spending days at the dealer again.
So they originally found the issue but it now as returned? Thats not good... As before I will be following this thread closely.

hauntedone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes they fixed it , but little by little the noise returned... now it does it every time I put the car from park to reverse...

Sponsored

Rondog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustangecoboost
My dealer is also replacing my drive shaft (back ordered a few weeks already) for my loud clunk. We'll see.

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)

I'm curios to see how this all plays out. A Ford service rep did call me and I was given a case number, so I'm happy for the response and support. If the driveshaft does not fix it I may consider buying a solid driveshaft from DSS. This should also change the pinion shaft flange as well. Not sure, guess we shall see.

albsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
yeah I had this problem very consistently between 1000-1500 miles. It basically occurred for me when going from 2nd -> 1st, 1st -> R, or R -> 1st.

The noise sorta went away after 2 weeks though, I'm at 2200 miles and it only really occurs occasionally when the car is really cold in the mornings. I also started taking it slow going from forward <==> reverse, stopping the car fully for a second seems to have helped.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
yeah I had this problem very consistently between 1000-1500 miles. It basically occurred for me when going from 2nd -> 1st, 1st -> R, or R -> 1st.

The noise sorta went away after 2 weeks though, I'm at 2200 miles and it only really occurs occasionally when the car is really cold in the mornings. I also started taking it slow going from forward <==> reverse, stopping the car fully for a second seems to have helped.
Let me know if you'd like to have this addressed. I understand it's subsided slightly, but if you're still concerned, I'll get this escalated to a customer service manager. They'll assist in the repair process with you and the dealer.

Jeff

hauntedone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can tell you that ford is replacing drive shafts because they are just guessing. Like in my case. The noise will still be present until they replace rear flange. But then again that only cures the problem for 1-2k miles ... The defect has to be the transmission at this point
Sponsored