Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Yo,

I'm in the market for an auto sports helmet. When I was at the track attack one of the instructors recommended the Zamp brand. I ordered an XL from Jegs but their sizing chart is either way off or the unit I received was mislabled. I have a fat head and wear an XL in Bell (my motorcycle helmet) but I couldn't even get the Zamp XL on my head. I'm leaning towards a Bell Sport Mag or Maybe a Simpson, open faced.

If anyone has any recommendations on brands/models and a good place to buy one, it will be much appreciated. The sport mag @ $280 is over twice the cost of the similarly designed Zamp (not sure about feature equivalency.) Bell seems to enforce a "lowest advertised price" policy. If anyone knows where I can order one at a reduced price, please shoot me a PM.

Muchos Gracias
Sponsored

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not sure where you are located, but if you're near a mid-major metro area, chances are you are near a shop that carries multiple brands and sizes. It's really best to try on a bunch and buy the one that fits best (as snug as you can stand while fitting the shape of your head/face). You may end up spending more, but when you consider WHAT the helmet protects, you'll probably get comfortable with the cost:)

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I haven't been able to find any retail stores locally (san diego area) that stock auto (as in cars) sports helmets. Motorcycle helmets won't fly for auto sports, as far as I know. Different ratings/standards.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I haven't been able to find any retail stores locally (san diego area) that stock auto (as in cars) sports helmets. Motorcycle helmets won't fly for auto sports, as far as I know. Different ratings/standards.
Same helmets are used for both at least scca

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
For Solo, yes. Once you graduate to anything else you'll need an SA-rated helmet.

http://www.scca.com/articles/2001486-choosing-a-helmet-which-is-right-for-you

I didn't know you could use an M-rated helmet for solo, so thanks. I can just use my motorcycle helmet for that. :)

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...2016_Solo_helmet_cert_decals_2.pdf?1450109868

Here's a useful article...

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/news/the-best-road-racing-helmets/

Or not, those are a bit pricey.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/06/10/guide-choosing-racing-helmets/

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
In my area you can use an MA2010 or later rated helmet for SCCA solo events, for track you need an SA rating. If your buying a new helmet, best to get a SA2015 rating.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Don't waste your money on an open face helmet. Your chin is a nice thing to keep. And in case you ever need something fire rated, just go for the closed face straight away.

Sponsored

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
I got a racequip helmet and its ok. I've had much better helmets, but I only wear it for 20 minutes at a time and it's not broken in yet. I have a fairly large head and wear the large.

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
IMO you can't go wrong with Simpson or Bell, these were probably the two most popular when I was running NHRA. IIRC in my class full face was required. 40+ years ago Bell used to advertise on billboards "If you've got a $10 head buy a $10 helmet".

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
IMO you can't go wrong with Simpson or Bell, these were probably the two most popular when I was running NHRA. IIRC in my class full face was required. 40+ years ago Bell used to advertise on billboards "If you've got a $10 head buy a $10 helmet".
I can understand that, but they all pass the same SA-2015 certification. It should protect you to the standards. A lot of the pricier helmets do have more comforts and features. The $200 helmets are basic helmets with padding. No vents or placed for speakers etc etc

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I'd be all over the Sport Mag but I want a black one and they're never in stock, even online. $280 is a reasonable starting price point. If I graduate to more advanced track events then I'll consider a pricier full face.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Don't waste your money on an open face helmet. Your chin is a nice thing to keep. And in case you ever need something fire rated, just go for the closed face straight away.
Jury is out on that one.....

With a stock car, airbags, HPDE, you may be better off open.
Weigh less, and airbag can catch under full face and do a lot
of neck damage. Now some have noted track debri hitting their
chin guard, that would of been painful at least.

Open face with a neck brace is fine in stock safety equipment
car. Weight becomes real important in a crash, any extra weight
on your noggin in a 20g impact is going to matter, a lot.

Light full face are very expensive, and most people will not spend the
bucks, and will still be pretty close or more than a much cheaper
open face. in a race car, no airbags, full 6 point, Hans, cage car, no brainer
go full face.
Sponsored