Sponsored

Audi S6 vs. 2015 GT PP

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
My co-worker brought her husband's Audi S6 into work earlier this week when we had to attend a meeting at another facility and discussed carpooling. She thought it was a MY15, but wasn't sure. When she had mentioned it before, I looked up some numbers and noted that the MY16 S6 had a few more ponies than the 2015 GT, and a little more weight, but was nearly a second better in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the 2015 GT. I later went back and did more research, and found that the 2016 S6 numbers were estimated, and the estimates had since been revised to be very close to the 2015 GT. Anyway, back to my time in the passenger seat of the S6...

My co-worker is definitely a bit of a conservative driver, but she hammered on the gas a couple of times from a 5mph roll, and the car seemed to have excellent throttle response and quick acceleration with no turbo lag that was noticeable by me. Also, the car felt very controlled and refined in acceleration, quick yet casual. Interior materials seemed to be a notch above a GT Premium (although I haven't seen a Premier Trim in person yet), as did the tech. The engine however was very quiet, and so where the turbos. The tire/road noise, however was not very quiet at all at highway, which I found to be distracting and very disappointing.

While the S6 certainly seemed to play the part of luxury sports sedan very convincingly and seemed to be a bit more refined and advanced than a decked out S550, I'm didn't not feel like the MSRP jump was justifiable...not that I'm contemplating buying an S6 anyway.

However, down to brass tacks...if the opportunity arose to put that car head to head with my GT PP when I get it, how are the chips gonna fall, stock for stock? But speaking of chips, also, what if the S6 got chipped/tuned and the GT PP where whippled?
Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
My co-worker brought her husband's Audi S6 into work earlier this week when we had to attend a meeting at another facility and discussed carpooling. She thought it was a MY15, but wasn't sure. When she had mentioned it before, I looked up some numbers and noted that the MY16 S6 had a few more ponies than the 2015 GT, and a little more weight, but was nearly a second better in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the 2015 GT. I later went back and did more research, and found that the 2016 S6 numbers were estimated, and the estimates had since been revised to be very close to the 2015 GT. Anyway, back to my time in the passenger seat of the S6...

My co-worker is definitely a bit of a conservative driver, but she hammered on the gas a couple of times from a 5mph roll, and the car seemed to have excellent throttle response and quick acceleration with no turbo lag that was noticeable by me. Also, the car felt very controlled and refined in acceleration, quick yet casual. Interior materials seemed to be a notch above a GT Premium (although I haven't seen a Premier Trim in person yet), as did the tech. The engine however was very quiet, and so where the turbos. The tire/road noise, however was not very quiet at all at highway, which I found to be distracting and very disappointing.

While the S6 certainly seemed to play the part of luxury sports sedan very convincingly and seemed to be a bit more refined and advanced than a decked out S550, I'm didn't not feel like the MSRP jump was justifiable...not that I'm contemplating buying an S6 anyway.

However, down to brass tacks...if the opportunity arose to put that car head to head with my GT PP when I get it, how are the chips gonna fall, stock for stock? But speaking of chips, also, what if the S6 got chipped/tuned and the GT PP where whippled?
I love to play devils advocate here as I have an extensive background in European cars and I have a few friends that work at Audi/VW agencies. They're deceivingly fast and with just a tune and nothing else they'll run an 11.5-11.9 - Down to brass tacks we need to remember that the Mustang is going to come in at almost 700 lbs less than the Audi! It's a big German Sled. Lots of weight. At the end of the day I think it would come down to the driver, road conditions etc but to my knowledge the S6 has a fairly pretty stout launch control. If the GT had a Whipple Supercharger installed it would be a pretty unfair fight and the Mustang would more than likely put multiple car lengths on the Audi. Just my .02 here and I'm sure a few more will chime in!

Let me know if you're to have any other questions and I'm here to help!

Alex

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
It has a little more ponies, a LOT more weight...

but it is a second faster because it's AUTO Tranny has a "dual clutch" and it is AWD. Here are 2016 Specs for S6:

It has 25 less HP than my SRT and is about the same weight (slightly heavier_ -- but faster because of the fast shifting auto, and the ability to get traction from it's AWD. It also costs at least $25K more so you would expect this.

twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 244 cu in, 3993 cc
Power: 450 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 406 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS (German Market):
Wheelbase: 114.8 in
Length: 194.1 in
Width: 73.8 in Height: 56.3 in
Curb weight (C/D est): 4350 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST): (The factory claims 4.5 seconds to 60 mph....a little underated here compared to C&D estimate)
Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.1 sec
Standing ÂĽ-mile: 12.0 sec
Top speed: 155 mph (governed)

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
My coworker did mention that her husband looked into chipping the car and it should yield an easy 550 hp...that's where I thought the Whipple comparison would get interestingly.

I struggle with the C/D estimates, because they're just that. Until they actually run that... 0.9 seconds difference between the estimate and the factory claim is huge.

OP
OP
ORANG50

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
The other thing it made me wonder is how much the IRS wheel hop slows down the mustang.

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
Yep, and...

I struggle with the C/D estimates, because they're just that. Until they actually run that... 0.9 seconds difference between the estimate and the factory claim is huge.
....the C&D editors LOVE imports. They will always edge toward faster estimates of those over US built cars (which they always hedge toward slower than actual), ....unless it's a Camaro.
Sponsored