Sponsored

Anything wrong with cooled seats?

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
It's probably you. But let me simplify... the cold air produced by the a/c system not only comes out the the air vents on the dash but is also directed at the floor. The colder >ambient< air goes along the floor and when it's gets under the seats the fans built into the seat pan lift the the cool air and recirculates it into the seat pan, hence cooling the butt. But the seat cooling does not have a direct connection to the a/c compressor. It just uses natural flow of air. That's why when the a/c unit is off, you wont feel cold on the butt, rather just the >ambient< air of what ever temp is along the floor and under the seat. Better?
I don't think that is right. I have actually had the heat on and the seat coolers on (weird, I know) and the seats were definitely getting cold. It has the "is my butt wet" feeling of sitting on an ice-cube. There is no way that it is just blowing ambient air through the seat.
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
UPDATE:

Got an email back from Ford that basically says go ask the service department at the dealership. Pretty sad when evidently Ford doesn't even know how it works. I'll try another avenue at Ford, I'm not pestering my dealership over a question like this.

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My seats cool wonderfully on the bottom, so-so on the lower back, and not much at all on the upper back. I definitely hear fan noise when the seat coolers are on, and I'd liken the sensation to sitting on an old, metal ice chest full of ice.

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
I am absolutely flabbergasted at how many different explanations the OP is getting on this question. I am sure he is now much more confused than before he asked.....

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I have felt the seat bottoms Cool without the AC on, therefor it is not just a fan bringing in cool air from the AC system. There is a fan as well, it also blows at the back of your legs. My seat back used to cool, but doesn't seem to be as effective anymore.

Sponsored

CJ4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base 6MT
Drove a convertible today with the cooled seats and it definitely worked on my back as well as the bottom.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I just sent a PM to FordService here on the board and hopefully they can shed a little more light on exactly how these function. I think part of the problem stems from the buttons themselves. They say AC on the cooled seat button and that may not actually be the case, or it may.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
It's a Peltier element! Why is this so hard for people to understand? It's the same thing an electric beverage cooler uses to cool itself.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
It's a Peltier element! Why is this so hard for people to understand? It's the same thing an electric beverage cooler uses to cool itself.
That is what I thought but it might not be the case. I'm trying to find out. Mine does NOT cool the seat with the AC off. A Peltier unit would do so regardless. I suppose mine could be not working but it works just fine with the AC on. Hence the confusion and Ford isn't letting me know yet either. :shrug:

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Just as someone mentioned above, my seat backed worked good the first couple of times, but now practically not all. I've only had the car 2 months. Really hope someone can figure this problem out.

Sponsored

Burningcoals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 401a
There is nothing but a fan. I have owned 3 cars with cooled seats. They all were just fans. Look at the other Ford vehicles. People have removed the fan from under the seat on other Ford models. There is apparently a filter that can get clogged and reduce the air flow.

Someone posted a schematic that showed only a heater element and a fan.

I love how peeps keep making stuff up. This thread is hilarious.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
has anyone got their hands on the TSM yet? any other car I've owned this would be answered quickly with a screenshot from the seat section.

best I could do is from the ford parts website, definitely shows at seat bottom and a separate seat back vent. Part number 19N550A- for seat back.
this site really isn't good for something like this though, for example I see no where on the parts in the seat section a heating element, which I'm sure should be in there by itself somewhere.

still maybe there some problem with the motors on these things that seems to be widespread.

* sorry the picture got cut off the 19N550B part, for seat cushion is the similarly red shape at the bottom center, if you haven't figured it out.
seatbackvent.png

Last edited:

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
has anyone got their hands on the TSM yet? any other car I've owned this would be answered quickly with a screenshot from the seat section.

best I could do is from the ford parts website, definitely shows at seat bottom and a separate seat back vent. Part number 19N550A- for seat back.
this site really isn't good for something like this though, for example I see no where on the parts in the seat section a heating element, which I'm sure should be in there by itself somewhere.

still maybe there some problem with the motors on these things that seems to be widespread.

* sorry the picture got cut off the 19N550B part, for seat cushion is the similarly red shape at the bottom center, if you haven't figured it out.
Firstly thanks for the pics.

BTW: Still waiting on an answer from Ford. FordService on the site has tossed my question higher up the chain and I will have to wait until next week for a response.

From the looks of this there are 2 fans then? One in the seat back and one in the seat bottom? I never feel anything blowing or cooling on my back. I wonder if mine is even working then. I don't see any ducting from the HVAC and I don't see any Peltier device in that picture. As others have said, I'm just leaning towards this circulating air from whatever it draws in the cabin. And I'm wondering now if the fan in my seatback even works, if there are indeed 2 fans. I just want to get to the bottom of this (no pun intended). ;)

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
There is nothing but a fan. I have owned 3 cars with cooled seats. They all were just fans. Look at the other Ford vehicles. People have removed the fan from under the seat on other Ford models. There is apparently a filter that can get clogged and reduce the air flow.

Someone posted a schematic that showed only a heater element and a fan.

I love how peeps keep making stuff up. This thread is hilarious.
There is absolutely no way "just a fan" can make my butt feel like I'm sitting on an ice cube. There is something there for sure.

Edit: ice cube is exaggerating, but there is definitely a chiller in there.

Last edited:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
There is absolutely no way "just a fan" can make my butt feel like I'm sitting on an ice cube. There is something there for sure.
This lol
Sponsored