Sponsored

Anyone regret buying a ragtop vs a coupe?

gokart29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT convertible 6-spd manual
No regrets here. Bought mine 2 years ago with 19 K on the odometer. Living in the midwest, we have great convertible days and many days that are either too cold or too hot to put the top down. However, I drive mine year-round mostly on dry days and have a blast - top down or up. The top is so much better than those made twenty years ago or more. Having a manual and having taught my wife to drive a stick way back in our college days makes it even more fun!
Sponsored

Guitar1118

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
Current - 2017 GT, Previous - 97 Cobra, 03 Cobra,
Another old guy here. We have owned 4 mustang convertibles. 06-V6, 02-GT, 03-Cobra, and a 97-Cobra over the years. Living here in Kansas of course we see all seasons of weather. The reality is if you own a convertible, you know you will have to replace the top at some point because of weather wear unless it's a garage queen. You will have leaks; you will have hydraulic issues; it will be noisier. I just figured that was a given that I lived with because we love convertibles. Last year we finally bought a 17 GT Coupe. Love the Coupe for it feels more stable on the road and has a lot less wind noise compared to a vert with the top up even. We still miss having a convertible though so now are discussing purchasing a Coyote vert as a second car.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Love it. My first car was a '63 Impala convertible and I've had others along the way. When I was shopping for a car I had two important criteria, soft top and manual transmission. Having owned a '85 GT convertible the Mustang was at the top of the list.

It helps that I live in CA. The weather isn't a problem. Of course the ease of getting car jacked with top down is a consideration.

VoR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The ratio of women admirers at shows is much higher for verts than coupes
I can bring 8' 2x4's home from the building supply
LOL. I'm married so the admirers is not something I need, and I can also bring home 8' 2x4's.....in my truck.

Having said that, I had a 1984 Fox body vert, and I always had the top down and loved it! Weather in San Diego is a plus.
I prefer the coupe these days, but wouldn't mind one of each.

Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I'm on my 4th Mustang, 2nd convertible and I plan to keep it a long time. Even after almost 9 years of ownership I still love the way it looks and most of the miles I've put on it were with the top down. Texas is a great place to own a ragtop. I'm getting old enough that my next one probably won't be a manual, but a V8 manual convertible is just about the perfect fun car.

Partock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Love my vert. Always wanted one, and even though I might not always have the best weather for it, I take advantage of every chance to drive it with the top down. Of course, there's a little more to be concerned about, but, for me it's worth it.

20231022_084339.jpg

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Up until this spring, I had an 2017 ecoboost pp coupe, that i traded for a 2022 gt vert. I love the car! Love the 8 cylinder rumble… love the power, love those summertime topless days and nights… but its coming up on December, my car is put away for the winter already… where my ecoboost woulda had another month or so of use…

i am not saying i regret buying the ragtop, but i could not in good conscience leave the car in the driveway when we were getting freezing rain all the time. I felt it was not good for the top. So it is prematurely garaged for the winter…. My old coupe, i let it get snowed on without worrying a bit, but my ragtop is tucked in the garage.. so for this and next month, i kind of regret the fact that i bought a convertible. I kind of lost a months drive time.

i might regret it in early April too or as long as we get snow, sleet, freezing rain in maine, when normally the coupe would be accessible in the driveway.

come may through october ill be happy i got the convertible… now im just little sad that i did.

Oh and my garage where the mustang is now kept, shares space with a generator, snow blower, detailing cart and other clutter, so its not real easy to just pull it in the garage at night or during bad weather…

so now, my black beauty just sits……waiting till spring….
I think most of the folks that have a garage the clutter is the same.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
Have only had my '22 GT vert for 2 summers so far so that still is in 'thrills' mode and enjoying it. In the Southern Interior of BC, just above WA state, it is a 8-9 month vehicle with about 6 months of that top down. I just put it to bed today in my garage with a battery tender.

I bought it for the joys of top down driving on twisty two lane highways, especially in the hills and mountains, and loving the sound of the Coyote V8.

Sponsored

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Love my Vert here in the Dallas area. I get a solid 11 mos. here with rag down and heated and cooled seats. It does rest in garage when at the house.
Same here in Broward County - no regrets. If it's not raining the top is down so I can properly hear the Roush exhaust. Garage kept which mitigates wear & tear. Too hot in August? Nope, just blast the A/C and ventilated seats and get some color on your face. Now we're getting into the really nice time of the year for a vert. Previous one was a Miata. Only problem I have is it gets too cold at speed under 70 degrees for a native South Floridian. Heated seats to the rescue.

TDChi-Town

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible GT California Special
Up until this spring, I had an 2017 ecoboost pp coupe, that i traded for a 2022 gt vert. I love the car! Love the 8 cylinder rumble… love the power, love those summertime topless days and nights… but its coming up on December, my car is put away for the winter already… where my ecoboost woulda had another month or so of use…

i am not saying i regret buying the ragtop, but i could not in good conscience leave the car in the driveway when we were getting freezing rain all the time. I felt it was not good for the top. So it is prematurely garaged for the winter…. My old coupe, i let it get snowed on without worrying a bit, but my ragtop is tucked in the garage.. so for this and next month, i kind of regret the fact that i bought a convertible. I kind of lost a months drive time.

i might regret it in early April too or as long as we get snow, sleet, freezing rain in maine, when normally the coupe would be accessible in the driveway.

come may through october ill be happy i got the convertible… now im just little sad that i did.

Oh and my garage where the mustang is now kept, shares space with a generator, snow blower, detailing cart and other clutter, so its not real easy to just pull it in the garage at night or during bad weather…

I have a 2019 Red Mustang Convertible stick shift in Chicago. It is garaged. Of the eight cars I've owned only one had an automatic transmission. It is also my third red convertible in a row. My first was a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, the second a Mitsubishi Spyder Eclipse and now (since 2020) the Mustang, which is my favorite. I also race sailboats. When it rains when I'm in the car it sounds just like it does when inside a sailboat when it rains. When I'm on a boat and it rains sounds just like when I'm in the car with the stereo off.

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
I have 2k15 gt with long tube header no cat H pipe CAI and tuned by ROB Shoemaker and it loud and sassy I love it
20231116_144720.jpg
20231116_144720.jpg
20231116_144720.jpg

Keithfro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I actually had Been wanting a 6g mustang ever since I saw the unveil, but my wife made a deal with me and gave me the green light to get a fun car, but it had to be a convertible. We live in Colorado and the curvy mountain roads with the top down and hearing the exhaust echo through the canyons as you drive is just awesome. I wouldn’t trade it for anything and do not regret one bit getting a vert over a coupe. I know I would have been disappointed with the coupe!

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
No regrets at all. The 'stang is my 4th rag top and it's great. I've acquired 2 more convertibles after the 'stang. If you live in Florida without a convertible you may as well live in Milwaulkee.

My only small regret is that I didn't shop for a GT. I didn't expect to like the 'stang as much as I do. It's a GREAT touring car. One of the best I've ever owned. I'm sure I'd like it even better with another 100 ponies. C'est la vie.
Sponsored