Sponsored

Anyone regret buying a ragtop vs a coupe?

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
Why can’t Ford give us T-tops or the hard top shell option like the old Mercs and Vettes?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jxp1962

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Why can’t Ford give us T-tops or the hard top shell option like the old Mercs and Vettes?
So right!

My old “chicken” lived outside through maine winters for years…. T tops took the snow fine…. I would not do this with my ragtop….

IMG_3342.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
T-tops were, in the main, the manufacturers giving you an open air experience in the face of legislation that would have made convertibles impossible. That threat evaporated and convertibles returned, killing T-tops. Since they can charge much more for a convertible, with a larger profit, they chose money over giving you what you want.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I had a 1998 Firebird w/o T-tops, a 1999 Trans Am w/T-tops, and a 2001 WS6 w/T-Tops. So, been there, done that. In my opinion it was too much work for around town where I really enjoy a top down.

I had to open trunk, open door/window, unlock one side, remove, secure in the trunk, open second door/window, remove, secure in trunk, close trunk, return to car, drive. Of course when you get to your destination/home, "basically" reverse sequence of steps. It was a bit of work for short trips, and when surprise showers came, I my clothes were fairly wet before getting to a stop and reversing all those reinstall steps. They looked cool (better in my opinion than a solid top), but I grew out of love with them over the years.

I love the ease and speed of Mustang top lowering/raising. And I actually think Ford did a great job on the aesthetics, as well as quality on the Gen6. Thankfully, convertibles today are nothing like the ones I've experienced in years past.

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
I had to open trunk, open door/window, unlock one side, remove, secure in the trunk, open second door/window, remove, secure in trunk, close trunk, return to car, drive. Of course when you get to your destination/home, "basically" reverse sequence of steps. It was a bit of work for short trips, and when surprise showers came, I my clothes were fairly wet before getting to a stop and reversing all those reinstall steps. They looked cool (better in my opinion than a solid top), but I grew out of love with them over the years.
My Bronco came with the infamous MIC hard top, and while I never got caught in the rain, just felt weird having two panels off but not the back, not to mention whereas my soft top I can stop and flip it forward the one time I was caught when it started raining, I'd be SOL if I were ever caught in the rain with the T-Tops on my Hardtop.

Works for certain cars, these didn't feel like one of them.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Yeah, its you I basically quote all the time! Imo, I dont race, so why do I need the extra rigidity?
If I am ever forced to buy something with a roof, it will be a BMW M3 Competition XDrive (4 Door). My wife's knees are bad and she has trouble getting into my car, so I hear about it.

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
If I am ever forced to buy something with a roof, it will be a BMW M3 Competition XDrive (4 Door). My wife's knees are bad and she has trouble getting into my car, so I hear about it.
Exactly. Personally an E90 M3, but that works too bro

jayson_b24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I only regret that I have but one life to give to my country. Short answer: no. Longer answer: both my truck and my wife's SUV have panoramic moonroofs, my daughter's car has a moonroof, and my motorcycle... well... doesn't have a roof, lol. We've wanted a 'vert since my wife had to get rid of her '06 'vert and it only makes sense in SoCal. Top down (or open on one of the others) so we can fully enjoy the sunshine and the smog! Now if we could just petition more companies to manufacture 'vert parts...

jayson_b24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
My wife's X1 xDrive has a panoramic moonroof. Could be an option?

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My Bronco came with the infamous MIC hard top, and while I never got caught in the rain, just felt weird having two panels off but not the back, not to mention whereas my soft top I can stop and flip it forward the one time I was caught when it started raining, I'd be SOL if I were ever caught in the rain with the T-Tops on my Hardtop.

Works for certain cars, these didn't feel like one of them.
https://www.bestop.com/products/sunrider-for-hardtop-ford-2021-2023-bronco-2021-2023-bronco-raptor/

OP
OP
Jxp1962

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Well in Maine today it was a balmy 53 degrees, top went down for the first time of the year…. Nice but still a bit chilly!