Sponsored

Any New England winter drivers?

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I bet everyone here that i will take off faster in a hill or flat road with few inches of snow by putting the traction control at OFF.
Yes the snow mode help to controle the car easily. But in certain situations traction control cuts the power to wheels to quickly.

I did it on uphill road, and by letting the traction control on i will sending this message from here even few months later :-)

Also when you are on a parking place and stuck you need some wheelspin sometimes
Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Traction control stop the spinning very quickly. Sometimes in a little deep snow or sludge you need to evacuate the snow for the tire to reach a gripper surface or harder. Otherwise you will stay on the same place . Try it , one time and you will understand that sometimes a little wheelspin is usefull.
^ This. From a dead stop its all about getting down to a surface that you can grip if there is too much snow.

If you have trouble getting moving turn T/C off completely. Once you are moving is where T/C can be helpful to keep you from sliding laterally... or you can just pay attention and back off the throttle as soon as you slip. It's all about experience. I was forced to learn how to drive in the snow with a 4x4 truck... with it in 2WD. 4WD was there to pull me out after I learned any hard lessons on throttle control and steering input. Can't thank the old man enough to making me learn that way

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It s because you have never driven in real winter condition.
:lol:

Believe me, we have "real winter condition" in Minnesota.

I know enough about "real winter condition" to know that once your tires start to spin, they get warmer and water + ice is a lot more slippery than just ice.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
:lol:

Believe me, we have "real winter condition" in Minnesota.

I know enough about "real winter condition" to know that once your tires start to spin, they get warmer and water + ice is a lot more slippery than just ice.
lol heat at 0 F by spinning on snow ????

you just need few wheelspin may be one or two rotations, just to put away fresh snow or slush. I have driven 15000 miles only last winter and here winter last 5 months

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Made it through the Boston winter last year on the factory all seasons. The car handled it ok. I'll be purchasing some Blizzaks this year. Common sense and a light touch on the throttle will get you far in the snow. Drive it year round and enjoy every moment!!

Sponsored

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Instead of wasting $$ on blizzaks or risk still driving my car, I just buy a junker to get me thru. Bought an 01 Maxima with 205k on it for $400, still drives fine so I plan on using it this winter too.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, but I have to drive a junker:D

I don't know about RI, but in MA it would need insurance too.

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Instead of wasting $$ on blizzaks or risk still driving my car, I just buy a junker to get me thru. Bought an 01 Maxima with 205k on it for $400, still drives fine so I plan on using it this winter too.
So do you put your Mustang in storage all winter?

I personally know people that do that, and I don't really get it. I could understand a beater Subaru to take to work during snow storms, but I couldn't stand the thought of driving a beater for 5 months, paying insurance/maintenance/registration on it, and knowing that a perfectly good Mustang is sitting in storage waiting for spring.

$600 winter tires don't seem like a bad idea ;)

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
Used Blizzak LM-32s the last two winters in Chicagoland. We had pretty mild winters and the mustang was excellent. I am a believer in snow mode because I typically have a heavy foot and it is pretty flat around here. I went the winter beater route with my previous Mustang and it sucked. Between the repairs, insurance, and just driving around a piece of junk for 4 months out of the year I am a big believer in having a dedicated set of snows. I took it to a touchless carwash weekly and used waterless carwash once I got home from the carwash to keep it looking good.
Sponsored