Sponsored

Android auto wireless (at least from phone)

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Never needed or wanted to charge a phone in the car.
Plus there is not enough power in the USB port to effectively charge any phone made in the past few years.

On my 25 mile 40 minute commute the USB port will only charge the phone 5 to 10%.

I seldom need to charge the phone in the car but when I do I have a cigarette lighter fast charger. It will get me 60 to 70% in my commute.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Plus there is not enough power in the USB port to effectively charge any phone made in the past few years.

On my 25 mile 40 minute commute the USB port will only charge the phone 5 to 10%.
Then you need to get yourself either a quality wire or new phone, cuz mine charges through the USB port like a muffaka...figured about 1% a minute if I don't use the phone itself.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Then you need to get yourself either a quality wire or new phone, cuz mine charges through the USB port like a muffaka...figured about 1% a minute if I don't use the phone itself.
Same could be said about about buying a new phone that doesn't need to be charged more than once a day while you sleep.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
This is incorrect. The newer USB power ports are more powerful and change fine.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
How do you charge your phone in the car?

I'm not out here to change your mind if you want to pay upwards of $400 for a slower interface, but I personally do not find it at all difficult to keep a wire in the car and plug my phone in. Takes of all 5 seconds. Plus the added benefit of charging my phone.
Wireless charger. Once you get used to it, having to plug a wire in and out every time you get in a car gets a bit annoying.

There's also this project, which I have not yet tried myself:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-4-1-proxy-gateway-for-android-auto.3813163/

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wireless charger. Once you get used to it, having to plug a wire in and out every time you get in a car gets a bit annoying.
I have wireless charging at home but what would be just as annoying as plugging in a wire in the car is taking the phone out of my pocket in the car regardless of how I charge it.

I get it that lots of people need or want to touch their phone or see its screen in a car but I don't so want it to stay in my pocket. Anyone who disagrees I'm gonna sick Norm on them and see how he does in lesser of two evil scenarios :wink:

That's the kind of thing I expected to exist. But reading thru that thread tells me its likely to need a lot of trial and error/tweaking and still not work at all or poorly. Which the manufacturer of the device in post #3 gives as the reason for the device. Really a shame that all the interfaces leave so much wiggle room for manufacturers and software developers that interoperability is so hit and miss.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
This is incorrect. The newer USB power ports are more powerful and change fine.
Could we'll be in the past year or two but my 17 Mustang, 15 Mustang, the wife's 14 Dodge and all the cigarette adapters that are not Qualcomm Fast Charge compliant won't.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Same could be said about about buying a new phone that doesn't need to be charged more than once a day while you sleep.
That is one of the primary features I look for when buying a new phone, the size of the battery. It's why I very seldom have a need to charge the phone in the car. I can quite often go two days without putting the phone on the charger.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Could we'll be in the past year or two but my 17 Mustang, 15 Mustang, the wife's 14 Dodge and all the cigarette adapters that are not Qualcomm Fast Charge compliant won't.
17, 15, and 14 MY were not compliant.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
A lot of cars that have wireless AA also have wifi charging. It kind of goes hand in hand.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

I seldom need to charge the phone in the car but when I do I have a cigarette lighter fast charger. It will get me 60 to 70% in my commute.
Lol my iPhone SE, Itl be 5% and plug in, 5 min drive it’s 50%
Pumps it up pretty good. But it’s like 5-6 years old

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Was delivered Feb 8.

Planned to do a review sooner but never used it long enough to really review it.

I don't plan to use it except for road trips and maybe not even then.

I never used Android Auto before because I wasn't going to take my phone out of my pocket.

But I made one miscalculation in ordering this device. And that is, it turns out I like Sync better for some things and Android Auto shuts those down. If I'd tried Android Auto by cable first, I probably wouldn't have ordered this.

Would be different if I could enable/disable Android Auto while driving with a single Sync3 touch or voice command. Way too many eyes-off-the-road steps to enable/disable via sync.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
And that is, it turns out I like Sync better for some things and Android Auto shuts those down. If I'd tried Android Auto by cable first, I probably wouldn't have ordered this.
Welcome to the club. 😁
The problem is that Sync 3 is quite good; I think it's one of the best automotive infotainment systems I've seen. That makes Android Auto and CarPlay seem primitive and annoyingly restrictive by comparison. But I've also seen systems that made AA look like a major upgrade. You'd love it if you had one of those.

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Was delivered Feb 8.

Planned to do a review sooner but never used it long enough to really review it.

I don't plan to use it except for road trips and maybe not even then.

I never used Android Auto before because I wasn't going to take my phone out of my pocket.

But I made one miscalculation in ordering this device. And that is, it turns out I like Sync better for some things and Android Auto shuts those down. If I'd tried Android Auto by cable first, I probably wouldn't have ordered this.

Would be different if I could enable/disable Android Auto while driving with a single Sync3 touch or voice command. Way too many eyes-off-the-road steps to enable/disable via sync.
So, if you're not a fan, are you interested in selling the Motorola unit?

Personally, I like Sync 3, but I like Android Auto WAY more.

JR
Sponsored