Sponsored

Ambient Thermal Management IS BACK! Celebrate With A Forum Discount!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
OK, who can do this for the ATM vs. Whipple Mega?
To be quite honest it's going to be nearly identical to the Levels. Same size, with a little different tech. Even whipple said in their post that whipple and levels are going to pretty much be on par with each other.

For the extra 300+ dollars for the whipple, I think the decision is pretty clear haha
Sponsored

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
Any chance of doing a special on off color coating? If not would it be possible to get an unfinished one where I can get it coated locally?

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any chance of doing a special on off color coating? If not would it be possible to get an unfinished one where I can get it coated locally?
Haha should do it in that heat reactive paint. Paint with Pearl can do custom temps. I'd do 100* black to red. So after 100* it looks like it's glowing red :p

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
OK, who can do this for the ATM vs. Whipple Mega?
My experience with the Levels was LAG. It cooled very well, about on par with the ATM. If the Whipple is about the same as the Levels then why add lagg without meaningful cooling?

Remember for any air to air exchanger, air density affects cooling. The less boost the turbo is able to maintain, the less heat is conducted to the inter cooler. Bigger is NOT always better. In my testing I was able to hold higher boost with the ATM most likely due to the slightly smaller volume, better end tank design and rounded bars which give you a 15% boost in flow efficiency (meaning lower pressure drop).

It is my theory that because of the ATM's more optimized design it's able to cool as well as units that are a bit larger without incurring as much pressure drop. Having spent nearly a year with larger FMIC's on a stock turbo with just a tune and having driven the car with stock and FP calibrations I can confirm the lag / throttle response issues I had were related to the FMIC as it occurred on both.

Also note that one of the fastest bolt on cars at the time (and still one of the faster cars) was SB1 racing, with just the ATM inter cooler and an early Tune+ E30 tune they were into the bottom of the 12's when other cars with similar mods weren't able to make as good of times. While the driver plays some factor, it's a lot less with auto's and he was darn consistent.

Hopefully my data combined with SB1 Racing's proven results on the track are enough to show the performance of this particular inter cooler. Now it may be a different story with Big turbo cars, the larger FMIC's may perform better, but with the stock turbo I think the ATM is better suited or even a good stage 1 unit like the garett core (after all they designed the actual turbo in your car!) or CP-e units: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/intercoolers/2015-mustang-23l-ecoboost-intercooler

If you chopped off the thin section at the top of the ATM, it would be a stage 1 with a little higher efficiency due to the rounded bars. Thankfully added in more cooling area at the top section but kept it thin to keep volume down, adds some little extra cooling for more circuit track oriented driving without adding a lot of volume but I think it's about as big as I would recommend on a stock turbo. Heck even Tune+ recommended the ATM as the best stock turbo FMIC when I first started modding.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Haha should do it in that heat reactive paint. Paint with Pearl can do custom temps. I'd do 100* black to red. So after 100* it looks like it's glowing red :p
That would be pretty cool :D

Sponsored

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
No tune needed
No tune needed, stock and other tunes can still benefit from the cooler temps because the temps in the tune tables will pull less timing since they are lower resulting in more power and better for your engine.
Not to say that it wouldn't do even better WITH a tune, just that you MIGHT get away with it if this is all you're doing...

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I really want to purchase this unit and get it installed, but I am seriously afraid of throwing a CEL by removing the active grill shutters.

Would my mechanic know what to do with it? Maybe keep the motor plugged in, but cut them?

SleepyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I really want to purchase this unit and get it installed, but I am seriously afraid of throwing a CEL by removing the active grill shutters.

Would my mechanic know what to do with it? Maybe keep the motor plugged in, but cut them?
I did the install myself Sunday or Monday and pulled out the active grille shutter. I threw away the upper and lower grille shutters in the trash. After doing that and removing the AGS bracket, all that's left is a lone sensor and the connection it plugs into on the bottom of the crash beam. I just connected that sensor and I'm pretty sure I trashed the rest of the system. No CEL, but apparently a body code does appear if you use a device to read the codes. I've put about a 100 miles since I put the intercooler on and car has been running fine (actually way better since it doesn't heat soak) on the stock tune.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Pull the motor on the AGS when you take it off. It's a small hex bit and then you can literally rip it out. I can take a picture in a bit. I just ziptied it behind the crash beam.

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Pull the motor on the AGS when you take it off. It's a small hex bit and then you can literally rip it out. I can take a picture in a bit. I just ziptied it behind the crash beam.
That would be great, thank you very much!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ambient Thermal Management

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford and BMW
We could probably make this happen. It would cost a little more though and we'd have to wait to have to have a new unit made for you unfinished.

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
So just checking... The silicone piping does or does not support recirc? (Such as the GFB DV+) Last I heard you guys were working on a solution. :cheers:

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford and BMW
So just checking... The silicone piping does or does not support recirc? (Such as the GFB DV+) Last I heard you guys were working on a solution. :cheers:
Does not currently, but we are working on a solution now! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.