Sponsored

Aftermarket HU Anyone? (Base GT)

topramen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Base GT
Has anyone managed to install an aftermarket head unit yet? It seems like people are either upgrading to the premium screen or TomTop/Moddication/Raxiom unit and it doesn't seem all the bugs have been worked out yet for a $700 unit. It would be nice to drop in a Pioneer or Alpine hu with RCA hookups.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Using a MFT/Sync 3 bezel you can swap in a shallow 2 din unit fairly easily... The depth of the unit cannot really exceed 5" though.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
Using a MFT/Sync 3 bezel you can swap in a shallow 2 din unit fairly easily... The depth of the unit cannot really exceed 5" though.
i did exactly this. if you dont mind trimming the plastic bracket that holds the sync module you can fit a deeper double din in. The one i installed doesnt have a cd but its pretty much a full size unit.

i went with a china special cause its full android, but you could put anything in there.

[ame]

Gmacguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP
Did one in my car... i got ecu data and tpms monitoring working using a maestro rr programmed off a 2015 F150.

I have not gotten steering wheel controls or climate controls to work on the stereo yet. I'm gonna try and find out what the CANBUS codes are for the steering wheels and climate controls using Forscan, then send the data to Idatalink and maybe they can load a firmware. If that doesn't work then i have a couple other ideas to make them work but there pretty complicated.

All in all, its 10 times better then the stock system. I have engine diagnostics, tpms, android auto, wireless mirroring with touch controls from the stereo, blind-spot cameras and it made the stock speakers sound surprisingly good but it took some serious fabrication to get it done. I wrapped my bezel and flush mounted the radio to make it look cleaner but still need to finish some small things on the faceplate. I would not recommend do it unless your experienced in aftermarket integration/fabrication.

Last edited:
OP
OP
topramen

topramen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Base GT
i did exactly this. if you dont mind trimming the plastic bracket that holds the sync module you can fit a deeper double din in. The one i installed doesnt have a cd but its pretty much a full size unit.

i went with a china special cause its full android, but you could put anything in there.
That looks pretty sweet! Were you able to maintain the steering wheel controls?

Did one in my car... i got ecu data and tpms monitoring working using a maestro rr programmed off a 2015 F150.

I have not gotten steering wheel controls or climate controls to work on the stereo yet. I'm gonna try and find out what the CANBUS codes are for the steering wheels and climate controls using Forscan, then send the data to Idatalink and maybe they can load a firmware. If that doesn't work then i have a couple other ideas to make them work but there pretty complicated.

All in all, its 10 times better then the stock system. I have engine diagnostics, tpms, android auto, wireless mirroring with touch controls from the stereo, blind-spot cameras and it made the stock speakers sound surprisingly good but it took some serious fabrication to get it done. I wrapped my bezel and flush mounted the radio to make it look cleaner but still need to finish some small things on the faceplate. I would not recommend do it unless your experienced in aftermarket integration/fabrication.

I have installed my own stereos on the past but they were simple. From what you are saying that sounds like more trouble then it may be worth for me :shrug:

It seems we are pretty limited when it comes to upgrade options:frusty:

Sponsored

Pablotheartist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6

How hard was the install? Would you recommend doing it? Im tired of my tomtop unit

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
To answer the previous question no I haven't gotten the steering wheel controls to work. No aftermarket adapter yet that I'm aware of that works.

The install was easy if you've done car audio work before. If I was doing it again I'd try one of the units off Amazon that comes with it's own bezel and replaces the hidden head unit parts. That's the only other way I'm aware of that gets rid of the sync abomination.

Jesse R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 2003 Mach 1
You would think somone might be debuting a new head unit at SEMA right now....maybe?:confused:

jke0114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red