Adding an acrylic window to trunk floor

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
So I just finished my stereo replacement and I'd like to show off the amp rack I designed in the spare tire well. I'd like to do a large oval shape with the chrome pony I pulled off the front grill in the middle. Not sure where to begin, I've never worked with plexiglass before. My thought is to have it under the trunk floor, so I can have a cover that's carpeted...for daily use, and remove for car shows. Any ideas?

Here's the amp rack...

20231218_195240.jpg
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
You would need at least 1/4" thick for that. You should buy a small piece and put it in the trunk near the amp and test for high temp impact. I was thinking the same thing as a clear cover to the airbox under the hood. But I think the high temps may warp or crack it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You would need at least 1/4" thick for that. You should buy a small piece and put it in the trunk near the amp and test for high temp impact. I was thinking the same thing as a clear cover to the airbox under the hood. But I think the high temps may warp or crack it.
Use Lexan instead of Plexiglass. It's far more robust and not as easy to scratch. It's good for 265 deg F. Perfect for an amp window or intake cover.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My first concern would be air flow. Your amps need exposure to the air for proper heat dissipation. Enclosing them could cause thermal shut down. If you really want to do acrylic over the rack I’d add a few 12v computer fans to a switched power on circuit in a push-pull configuration.

As for how to do it, check out CarAudioFabrication on YouTube, he has a few videos about doing acrylic. But, unless you have a router you’re most likely not going to have a good finished result. Maybe call around to your local trophy shops, they usually have acrylic engravers than can do something like I did.
IMG_0600.jpeg

The snake is etched into the backside of the acrylic and is edge lit from top and bottom.

zx2reme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
My first concern would be air flow. Your amps need exposure to the air for proper heat dissipation. Enclosing them could cause thermal shut down. If you really want to do acrylic over the rack I’d add a few 12v computer fans to a switched power on circuit in a push-pull configuration.

As for how to do it, check out CarAudioFabrication on YouTube, he has a few videos about doing acrylic. But, unless you have a router you’re most likely not going to have a good finished result. Maybe call around to your local trophy shops, they usually have acrylic engravers than can do something like I did.
IMG_0600.jpeg

The snake is etched into the backside of the acrylic and is edge lit from top and bottom.
I agree. I tried cutting my own with a router and it was a huge mess. I had a local sign shop cut a piece (though not as big as yours) and had them laser etch it. I just finished this up yesterday. The section where the air tank is,
20240319_204049.jpg
I cut years ago. I think that one was with a router though. Not sure why it didn't work this time; maybe different type of acrylic.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I agree. I tried cutting my own with a router and it was a huge mess. I had a local sign shop cut a piece (though not as big as yours) and had them laser etch it. I just finished this up yesterday. The section where the air tank is,
20240319_204049.jpg
I cut years ago. I think that one was with a router though. Not sure why it didn't work this time; maybe different type of acrylic.

Looks good! There are two different types of acrylic, extruded and cast. Extruded acrylic is more prone to chips and shatters from cutting and routing. The bit you use is also very important. You want a spiral fluted up cut but.

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Ok guys, I had a stereo shop make an acrylic 12x10 ovel with the running horse and Mustang underneath...looks great! Now, how to cut my trunk floor (already took off the insulation and glue). I'm thinking of getting a sheet of 1/4 wood and shaping it to fit in the opening...then cut a hole...maybe 11x9 (an inch smaller than the piece). Sandwich the acrylic between the wood and the trunk floor plastic/carpet deal.

My only concern is how the carpet will look. Maybe cover the current carpet with some black carpet used for subwoofer boxes? Then cover the rest of the trunk the same way to match? This could also solve my issue with the carpet holes for the OEM sub bracket...

I've done this stereo completely myself (with help from you guys...but no shops), so it would be cool to do this also.

Thoughts?

20231218_195318.jpg

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ok guys, I had a stereo shop make an acrylic 12x10 ovel with the running horse and Mustang underneath...looks great! Now, how to cut my trunk floor (already took off the insulation and glue). I'm thinking of getting a sheet of 1/4 wood and shaping it to fit in the opening...then cut a hole...maybe 11x9 (an inch smaller than the piece). Sandwich the acrylic between the wood and the trunk floor plastic/carpet deal.

My only concern is how the carpet will look. Maybe cover the current carpet with some black carpet used for subwoofer boxes? Then cover the rest of the trunk the same way to match? This could also solve my issue with the carpet holes for the OEM sub bracket...

I've done this stereo completely myself (with help from you guys...but no shops), so it would be cool to do this also.

Thoughts?

20231218_195318.jpg
Joann Fabric carries a charcoal carpet that very closely matches the stock trunk trim. I have a few yards of it that I didn’t use in my build if you can’t find it.

As for the floor, 1/4” MDF would work however depending on the dimensions you could run into issues getting it in and out of the trunk opening. My false floor has a seam down the middle so it easily fits into the trunk as two pieces.

Are edge lighting the acrylic? If so you’ll need some way to attach the LED strip perpendicular to the floor board. You can do this with a 1/2” piece of MDF that’s attached to the bottom of your false trunk floor.

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Yup, bought some LED strips that I'll use to light up the piece...have to figure out how to do all this without a router...or maybe just bite the bullet and get one.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Yup, bought some LED strips that I'll use to light up the piece...have to figure out how to do all this without a router...or maybe just bite the bullet and get one.
Palm routers aren’t too expensive.

Sponsored

zx2reme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Joann Fabric carries a charcoal carpet that very closely matches the stock trunk trim. I have a few yards of it that I didn’t use in my build if you can’t find it.

As for the floor, 1/4” MDF would work however depending on the dimensions you could run into issues getting it in and out of the trunk opening. My false floor has a seam down the middle so it easily fits into the trunk as two pieces.

Are edge lighting the acrylic? If so you’ll need some way to attach the LED strip perpendicular to the floor board. You can do this with a 1/2” piece of MDF that’s attached to the bottom of your false trunk floor.

This! I Have multiple pieces for my setup. I have the factory sub and the Meth tank in the trunk and the floor wraps around both. In order to get it to do so and allow me to remove when necessary for servicing components underneath the floor, I couldn't keep in one piece because it wouldn't fit. If you have nothing on sides of trunk, you might get away with it, but test out with some cardboard or material that is stiff.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The lighting amp/sub stuff never ceases to amaze me. I couldn’t do it, not skilled enough to get all that together. But man it looks so fricken awesome.