Sponsored

AC Compressor Sanity Check

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Hey guys, I suddenly lost AC/defrost and I'm trying to nail down the source so I know how bad this is going to cost me. I have confirmed that the AC compressor clutch engages/disengages when AC is on and off, respectively, but I have some behavior I would like to see if any of you guys see on your cars. I would imagine this isn't Mustang AC compressor specific but I don't have another vehicle to test with right now. In the very center of the AC compressor/clutch assembly viewed from the front of the car, there is a single bolt. Just outside of the center are three metal nubs, like rivets. When my AC clutch is engaged, the three metal nubs and the black metal plate they are on spins very slowly, maybe 5 RPM. I don't know if this is part of the clutch or the compressor itself, because the clutch is engaging and disengaging as expected.
Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
It is part of the electric clutch. It should be rotating the same as the belt pulley when clutch is engaged.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I thought, but now I'm seeing that it's not consistent. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be or not. Here's two videos with different behavior:

In the above video, the car is started with the AC off. About halfway through the video, the AC is switched on and the clutch engages and the center part slowly spins.

In the above video, the AC is switched on and the center part is not spinning, but the clutch is engaged.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
It should lock and spin at the same speed as the rest of the compressor. the clutch looks like it is shot.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. You can’t really see it in the videos but there is black fuzz coming out of that center most part of the hub. I’m wondering if that is friction material.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you are still within the 3/36 or have an extended ESP Warranty - it should be covered. However in the event it’s not, here’s the info you need:
6B039C30-3DB9-4369-BB85-82D18DA0DE6D.jpeg

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because of holiday travel commitments, I was hoping to replace the compressor after I got back home to the bay. The compressor clutch decided to melt and seize the compressor while I was on the highway on Christmas Eve, which was awesome. I turned the damn defrost on and didn't think anything of it... fatal mistake. Oh well, new compressor is in now and all is right with the world.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have 3 months left on my 36k so I will be checking this tonight. Does that TSB posted above cover us if after the bumper to bumper is up?
Sponsored