Sponsored

A stupid PP-fitment wheel question: Square/rotatable?

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I'm sure this has been covered here and I think I even remember reading a thread about it, but I can't find it now.

Basically, while I'm not in the market right at the moment, I'd like to examine some options for down the road. I'd like a square setup for my GT/PP that I can also rotate. I'd like this set of wheels to ideally do all duty, from my daily commute to my once-in-a-while track/AutoX runs.

I do understand that I'd likely have to use spacers to clear the PP brakes. Would this be a plausible failure point given that the car does see (admittedly light) track usage?

And, really, what are my options? Are there any wheel sets that fit the bill for what I'm looking for? I'd love to get a decent set of tires and be able to rotate them and still have decent grip on the track while spreading the wear.

Mea culpa if this has been covered a million times, or if I'm asking for a completely unreasonable thing.
Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
i may be misunderstanding what you're looking for. I took it as "I want a square setup that works with the PP (not PP wheels) and tires i can use for daily/autox"

There are tons of different options. I went with a (relatively) light wheel with the MRR GF9 19x9.5 on all four corners at a +30 offset. I run Michelin PSS with 275/40r19 all the way around. The wheels are rotatable without a space and the fitment is spot on.

The PSS tires weigh 4lb less total than stock tire setup, and the wheels (at least mine) came in dead on 25lb a piece. That's pretty light for a "cheaper" wheel.

I worked with Paul [MENTION=11685]Need4SpeedMotors[/MENTION] and it was great.

here's how mine sits with +30 all the way around.

28708850873_97ea12c82d_c.jpg

28945740296_be60afd64a_c.jpg

I think +30 is perfect for 9.5, and honestly, with the PSS i've had excellent wear so far, and the grip is insane. In the wet it's rock solid stable, where the Pirellis were spooky. The dry grips is magnitudes better. I have no traction issues whatsoever. No reason IMO to go wider than 275 with my current power level. Maybe if I ever go FI, but not NA.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
[MENTION=19664]Chad11491[/MENTION]

Super nice set up. I like the 40 profile side wall, gives a nice meaty look to the wheels. I'm currently running 19x10" 6GR's square, with 285/35's all round. I may consider upping to a 285/40 once my current tires are toast.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Thanks! I was just trying to stay relatively close to OEM sidewall size. And honestly i like how it fills the slightly uneven gap the steeda ultralites have with their drop, it makes it pretty much dead even since the front sidewall is slightly taller than stock. It doesn't feel any different though. I was thinking about 285/35, does it feel any different than the stock 40 sidewall comfort wise?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm sure this has been covered here and I think I even remember reading a thread about it, but I can't find it now.

Basically, while I'm not in the market right at the moment, I'd like to examine some options for down the road. I'd like a square setup for my GT/PP that I can also rotate. I'd like this set of wheels to ideally do all duty, from my daily commute to my once-in-a-while track/AutoX runs.

I do understand that I'd likely have to use spacers to clear the PP brakes. Would this be a plausible failure point given that the car does see (admittedly light) track usage?

And, really, what are my options? Are there any wheel sets that fit the bill for what I'm looking for? I'd love to get a decent set of tires and be able to rotate them and still have decent grip on the track while spreading the wear.

Mea culpa if this has been covered a million times, or if I'm asking for a completely unreasonable thing.
There's tons of wheels that will clear front brakes without spacers - why do you think you need spacers ? About any 19" wheels with the correct offset (front one has +45mm) will work.

Sponsored

OP
OP

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I've only read about many wheels needing spacers to clear the front brakes, or having different offsets from front/rear.

What I'm looking for is basically a set of four identical wheels so I can run 285s (preferably) at each corner and rotate them rear-to-front throughout their life.

Again, I apologize if I'm unclear or am asking a stupid question. This is my first car in a decade; I've spent the last 10+ years on motorcycles and, while many principles carry over, four wheels add some confusion to the issue (and prior to that, the only performance cars I cared about were drag cars and road track performance was largely irrelevant).

Thanks for the input, folks! Ideally I'll find something in a simple five-spoke design as I prefer simple, classic lines and ease of cleaning, but it looks like I may indeed have some options. Those GF9s are pretty attractive, I'll admit.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
i may be misunderstanding what you're looking for. I took it as "I want a square setup that works with the PP (not PP wheels) and tires i can use for daily/autox"

There are tons of different options. I went with a (relatively) light wheel with the MRR GF9 19x9.5 on all four corners at a +30 offset. I run Michelin PSS with 275/40r19 all the way around. The wheels are rotatable without a space and the fitment is spot on.

The PSS tires weigh 4lb less total than stock tire setup, and the wheels (at least mine) came in dead on 25lb a piece. That's pretty light for a "cheaper" wheel.

I worked with Paul [MENTION=11685]Need4SpeedMotors[/MENTION] and it was great.

here's how mine sits with +30 all the way around.

28708850873_97ea12c82d_c.jpg

28945740296_be60afd64a_c.jpg

I think +30 is perfect for 9.5, and honestly, with the PSS i've had excellent wear so far, and the grip is insane. In the wet it's rock solid stable, where the Pirellis were spooky. The dry grips is magnitudes better. I have no traction issues whatsoever. No reason IMO to go wider than 275 with my current power level. Maybe if I ever go FI, but not NA.

Looks amazing Chad !

So there are a number of great options that work without spacers, it all just depends on what you are aiming to achieve.

so a 285/35/19 easily can be done and you can have ranges of wheels from 9.5 all with way to 10 square.

A few brands to check out.

MRR GF9
MRR M350
Project 6GR
SVE I believe also.

Just to name a few.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
How about the MRR VP5? I like the simple 5-spoke design there.
That also sorry slipped my mind

19x9.5 ET 30

I have confirmed and done it a number of times.
Sponsored