A bit of false info going around....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
I just wanted to post up a quick thread in response to a few inquiries about our Race Spec shifter and this so called walking the dog issue...

It has been said by another vendor that the MGW Race Spec has an issue with walking because the shifter moves around when you get on it ( accelerate , brake etc.)

I'm not sure why this is an issue as it is FULLY DESIGNED to move in perfect unison with the trans. That is the whole point of a TRANS mounted shifter!!!

Cars going back to the original manuals in muscle cars dating back 50 years all had shifters mounted DIRECTLY to the top of the transmission and to say that a remote mounted and chassis mounted shifter is in some way superior is absolute nonsense.:doh::doh::doh::doh:

The MGW RACE SPEC will show more movement than the stock or other body mounted shifters because the motor and trans WILL move. Just because you try to hold the rear in place by 2 wimpy 6mm studs does not mean the engine and trans just magically stop moving. It means you are actually keeping the shifter from moving with it and limiting alignment not helping it!

The best way to keep the shifter from moving if you want the best of both worlds is to insert a trans mount bushing or harder ( poly) motor and tranny mounts. The only drawback to that is you get more NVH.

But the bottom line is the BEST way to get perfect shifts is to let the shifter move with the trans FREELY!!

I always use this analogy ...if you are going to ride a horse and want to stay on it you jump on it and hold on. You dont tie one leg to the fence to get more stability. :shrug:

Just wanted to clear this up and did not want to interfere with another vendors thread but this logic is just totally wrong.

George
MGW MT-82 Compact Race-Spec Shifter 2 4web.jpg
Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Now that's just plain silly. If people can't tell the other vendor is making an ignorant statement just by looking at how the shifter attaches and interacts with the trans. vs. body mount that won't allow the aft end to float they should be forced buy a Chevy Volt.

In other news - sources say that 'if you place a large plastic bag over your head and breath deep you'll live a long and healthy life!'

Reactions: CB

Roki187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally
Vehicle(s)
15gt pp, 2jz s14, 7.5 Gti and a Ls430
Had mgw shifters in both 03 cobra (35k miles)and 15 Gt (2kmiles). By far the best shifter/mod that shows instant lasting improvements with no drawbacks!!!! Work of art!!!!!!!! Thanx again mgw :cheers::cheers:

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Can't wait to install my MGW this spring! Fiance got it for me for Xmas and it's a work of art!

Sponsored

dbasql

http://djdenverb.com
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Roush 2016 RS3
Just got mine installed today. Is this why there is more vibration with the MGW?
I am serious I am not technical at all with cars just wondering.

Other than more vibration good lord it's night and day better. These are race cars and they should feel like it when engaging the drivetrain.

Ty for the further explanation on movement.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
youre going to get more vibration since its directly mounted now

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
youre going to get more vibration since its directly mounted now
Yes it has slightly more vibration but I love actually being able to feel what the trans is doing. The first thing I noticed when I bought my car was how numb and disconnected the stock shifter felt and how I constantly missed the 2-3 shift at WOT because how the stock shifter is fighting the body and transmission.

I still believe this is the best mod I have done to my car!:hail:MGW

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
I'll tell you what is rediculous, when you tell people that have the MT-82 how well the MGW shifter aids the shifting aspects of the trans and they instead buy a bunch of hodge-podge aftermarket trinkets to try and better it instead of going straight to the best "fix" on the market, that being the MGW Race Spec! Stupid hurts and can't be fixed.

MGW rocks!:headbang:

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I saw the other vendor make those claims. Lol, it's completely ridiculous. The MGW is by far the best shifter on the market.

Sponsored

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
Well I have no idea who this other vender is, and don't really care. What I can say is I was missing a shift every 3 times down the 1/4. To date I HAVE NOT missed 1 shift after the MGW shifter install. As far as movement, I have not felt any and I have stock mounts.....
This is by far the best mod one can do for a manual trans car... well ok second best mod, the first would be a auto trans.....
I'm not a nut hanger and I will say installing the dust boot suck azz. I got so mad I was ready to kill puppies installing it.....

Firststang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 magnetic grey mustang 5.0 gt
I installed my mgw race spec about 2 months ago. Shifts smooth as butter. Haven't had any issues and have had zero increase in nvh at all rpms. The shifter does have a slight silent vibration if you put your hand on it but that's because it's moving with the trans so it can shift as smooth as it does.
I have friends with ford racing shifters that "buzz" under load and don't feel half as good.
Anyone on the fence about upgrading should do themselves a favor and take the plunge with MGW.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Wow, that's like a competitive tire mfg claiming the other guys tires are wearing out because they are spinning in circles. LOL!

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
[MENTION=10681]MGW[/MENTION] Hey George, just wanted to jump in here since it's clear you're referring to our recently released shifter.

Let me just start by saying I respect you as a vendor and I think your shifter is a great product, not once are we debating that.

We'd like to clarify what we mean when we are talking about the 'walking effect.'

The number one thing to realize here is when we talk about 'walking' we are referring to the fact that the shifter is moving in the transmission tunnel relative to the driver. The 'walking effect' is something that we simply observed as a possible detriment to driver ergonomics. The way we are referring to it has nothing to do with the transmission and engine movement nor does it have anything to do with the shifter's alignment with the transmission.

Does your shifter move freely with the transmission? Yes.
Does the Steeda shifter stop the transmission and engine from moving about? No.
Does the Steeda shifter move less overall relative to the driver making it easier to find for more consistent shifting? Yes.

The only point we are trying to make is the ergonomic benefit of the Steeda shifter. We feel some are purposely ignoring the point of our statement, and are stating that we are making certain claims when we are in fact not suggesting these things whatsoever.

We are aware that your shifter is designed to move with the transmission and that’s a perfectly fine design approach, nothing mechanically wrong with that in any way. We simply took another approach while thinking about driver ergonomics. Also we never stated that there was anything wrong with your shifter - quite the contrary. However a third party customer posted a video comparison under his own power. We don’t claim that this design approach will stop the engine and transmission movement, because it won’t. But it does limit the shift lever movement relative to the driver and dampen a good amount of vibration.

We can agree to disagree on design approaches but both systems will work very well.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If some are going to refer to a shifter in sync with transmission movement as displaying a "walking effect" then let's be just as defining with respect to a shifter that moves partially with the transmission while at the same time trying to hold still with the body and call it the "torn between two lovers effect."

In essence, there's two schools of thought at play here.

MGW has graduated with their MT82 shifter from one that did tie into both the transmission and the body to one that is 100% in phase with the transmission. This is the way it used to be done across the board and continues to be the method of choice in various forms of motorsport. You'll never hear a NASCAR driver climb out of a car and state that they could have won the race but the shifter was out walking the dog. Consumers that yank the woeful MT82 and replace it with a Magnum XL (etc) transmission aren't commenting on this newfound "walking" effect either. Simply put, the MGW MT82 shifter isn't tied down to the body in an attempt to limit the dynamic response to rpm, gear changes, etc. And it completely replaces the stock shifter.

Steeda has chosen to mirror the stock MT82 shifter in that it attempts to quell movement by mounting the rear of the shifter to the vehicle of the body while directly mounting the front of the shifter to the transmission, bushing-less. This is the new age, NVH concern trumping performance, school of thought (aside from eliminating the front bushing). Steeda also requires the end consumer to reuse the entire lower linkage from the factory MT82 shifter which utilizes multiple joints and with tolerances beyond Steeda's control.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.