93 octane?

saleen405

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT PP
Those who run 87, are your exhaust tips sooty?
They ain't sooty but salty from all this damn salt on the roads...:headbonk:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
They ain't sooty but salty from all this damn salt on the roads...:headbonk:
No kidding but today the damn snow finally melted and got to romp through all 6 gears finally. Tomorrow Freezing Rain...:headbonk:

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Okay in my country we have 91 and 95, what should i use? is the 95 an overkill?

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Okay in my country we have 91 and 95, what should i use? is the 95 an overkill?
I think Europe (and I believe adjacent countries) rate their gas octanes different than the USA, so from what I understand Oman's 95 octane would be about the same as USA's 93 octane.

The maximum rated horsepower of 310hp in the 2016 Mustang Ecoboost was achieved with 93 octane gas, if that is what you want than go with the 95 octane that is offered in country.

Before putting any gas in your car though I would consult with local experts first.

TC :)

Last edited:

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I think Europe (and I believe adjacent countries) rate their gas octanes different than the USA, so from what I understand Oman's 95 octane would be about the same as USA's 93 octane.

The maximum rated horsepower of 310hp in the 2016 Mustang was achieved with 93 octane gas, if that is what you want than go with the 95 octane that is offered in country.

Before putting any gas in your car though I would consult with local experts first.

Thanks i'll do a bit of research to confirm this :)

Sponsored

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

The maximum rated horsepower of 310hp in the 2016 Mustang was achieved with 93 octane gas, if that is what you want than go with the 95 octane that is offered in country.

I did a bit of searching and you were right apparently the US use a different octane rating than the rest of the world called AKI (Anti-Knocking Index) which is basically the average of the RON (Research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number) thats why it looks like you guys have a lower octane rating when it is actually the same.

Since here in OMAN we use the RON to rate our fuel i should be fine running Octane 91 when i buy the Mustang GT which equal octane 87 in US and below are conversion rates for information.

US AKI--------EURO RON
87--------------91.1
88--------------92.2
89--------------93.2
90--------------94.3
91--------------95.3
92--------------96.4
93--------------97.4
94--------------98.5
95--------------99.5
96--------------100.6
97--------------101.6
98--------------102.7
99--------------103.7
100-------------104.8

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Does anyone know the HP difference between 87 and 93 on a GT? From what I've seen appears to only be in the 1% range from a Ford comment?

I know its a big difference on the ecoboost like 40hp but if it is only 5hp on a GT any other benefits? I've since switched back to 87....

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Does anyone know the HP difference between 87 and 93 on a GT? From what I've seen appears to only be in the 1% range from a Ford comment?

I know its a big difference on the ecoboost like 40hp but if it is only 5hp on a GT any other benefits? I've since switched back to 87....
Pretty sure there is a thread in the technical section about this.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
You put 87 octane in a Yugo not in a high performance car in my humble opinion. Though the specs allow you to, does not mean you should. High Octane has additives to keep your fuel system clean

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You put 87 octane in a Yugo not in a high performance car in my humble opinion. Though the specs allow you to, does not mean you should. High Octane has additives to keep your fuel system clean
I think that putting a higher octane fuel than is needed is a waste of money.

Low octane fuel also has additives to keep your fuel system clean.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
High octane has the same additives that are in plain Jane 87 octane. Premium fuel won't keep your valves any cleaner than 87 octane.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
87 is fine. I switched back for winter and gas cost savings. Will run 93 when I put my tune back on.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
As one poster said the higher the octane ratings the less combustible the fuel is. ECU will retard the spark on lower octane fuel the prevent preignition (engine knock). Biggest feet of older cars (engine knock) is valve train. The fuel will detonate before a valve is actually seated. This will do 1 of 2 things. 1 lose of compression from blow by the open valve and 2 the valve will get slammed into place by the detonation.
Higher octane fuels will also run much cooler.
I have 4 vehicles and 3 of them require at least a min of 91 octane gas from factory.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I think that putting a higher octane fuel than is needed is a waste of money.

Low octane fuel also has additives to keep your fuel system clean.
Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.
Sponsored