6r80 changed from 6th gear to 2nd out of nowhere

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
This has happened twice in the last 15 days, I was coasting along in 6th gear at about 70 km and out of nowhere the car changed from 6th gear to 2nd, no loss of power at all, it then started climbing back up the gears and continued to drive normally, has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking solenoids or valve body as it doesn't seem like a traditional slip, the car drives incredibly well otherwise, feedback would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
My buddies Camaro SS 1LE will do this if for some reason it anticipates a curve coming up. If he brakes and then turns the wheel is throws the car into 2nd.

I think on that car it’s a feature but sounds like a bug on yours. Is the car tuned? I’d try first resetting the keep alive memory by disconnecting the battery over night.

wmoore26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WASP
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
I agree with sms2022. If that doesn't help it could be a selanoid. I have that same transmission in my 2014 F150. There was an issue with the molded lead frame. Basically the metal particulate would cause that very same issue you're having. So Ford was supposed to put 2 magnets in every pan to prevent that issue, starting 2015. Everyone that had an earlier year of the 6r80 had to get a new lead frame which used a foam gasket to separate the selanoids so they wouldn't arc. Just some insight.

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
My buddies Camaro SS 1LE will do this if for some reason it anticipates a curve coming up. If he brakes and then turns the wheel is throws the car into 2nd.

I think on that car it’s a feature but sounds like a bug on yours. Is the car tuned? I’d try first resetting the keep alive memory by disconnecting the battery over night.

Thanks for the reply dude, no she's not tuned, fully stock! I'll definitely keep that reset in mind

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
I agree with sms2022. If that doesn't help it could be a selanoid. I have that same transmission in my 2014 F150. There was an issue with the molded lead frame. Basically the metal particulate would cause that very same issue you're having. So Ford was supposed to put 2 magnets in every pan to prevent that issue, starting 2015. Everyone that had an earlier year of the 6r80 had to get a new lead frame which used a foam gasket to separate the selanoids so they wouldn't arc. Just some insight.

The car is a 2017 V8, so they probably resolved that exact problem since surely, I recently had my transmission fluid changed "this first 2nd gear shift from nowhere happened before the fluid change " when my fluid was changed the old fluid was brown , but only really appeared to be a normal amount of metal ECT for a 40k mile transmission on the magnet, perhaps that old shitty fluid messed with the solenoids or valve body??

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
The car is a 2017 V8, so they probably resolved that exact problem since surely, I recently had my transmission fluid changed "this first 2nd gear shift from nowhere happened before the fluid change " when my fluid was changed the old fluid was brown , but only really appeared to be a normal amount of metal ECT for a 40k mile transmission on the magnet, perhaps that old shitty fluid messed with the solenoids or valve body??
Really doubtful. 40k change interval is great. I’ve hard trucks with 170k+ on the original trans fluid. The issue with the fluid is when it gets so dirty it starts clogging the trans filter which drops pressure, wearing the bands more and making you need to run dirty fluid with grit in it so the bands still grip. No way you ran into that scenario unless something failed.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
You are definitely going to want to double check fluid spec and fluid level though. Low fluid level can make transmissions do all sorts of crazy things.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
perhaps that old shitty fluid messed with the solenoids or valve body?
craptastic transmission is what Ford is proud of. You should see the list of Stupid in the A10 design. It's likely time for new solenoids and valve body.

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
Really doubtful. 40k change interval is great. I’ve hard trucks with 170k+ on the original trans fluid. The issue with the fluid is when it gets so dirty it starts clogging the trans filter which drops pressure, wearing the bands more and making you need to run dirty fluid with grit in it so the bands still grip. No way you ran into that scenario unless something failed.

Thanks for the info dude, what do you mean by "no way you ran into that scenario unless something failed"??

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
You are definitely going to want to double check fluid spec and fluid level though. Low fluid level can make transmissions do all sorts of crazy things.

The first instance of this random second gear change happened about a week before my fluid change, so it's definately not that

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
craptastic transmission is what Ford is proud of. You should see the list of Stupid in the A10 design. It's likely time for new solenoids and valve body.

Definately, will keep an eye on it, if it keeps happening then it's definately getting changed, hopefully it's just a temporary glitch or something..

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info dude, what do you mean by "no way you ran into that scenario unless something failed"??
No way the filter was clogged

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
No way the filter was clogged

Nah no way, mechanic never said anything so definately not, I'd be willing to bet the old shitty brown trans fluid has messed or glitched up the valve body or solenoids

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt

Today I was pulling out of a street the transmition kept going up in rpm and refused to change gears untill I had to intervene by upshifting with the paddle shifters, didn't do this again from at least an hour long drive, but I feel like the car was definately doing some weird shit like slightly firmer shifts going from first to second ect, do you think it could still be a solenoid or valve body?

OP
OP

Kalika

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt

Today I was pulling out of a street the transmition kept going up in rpm and refused to change gears untill I had to intervene by upshifting with the paddle shifters, didn't do this again from at least an hour long drive, but I feel like the car was definately doing some weird shit like slightly firmer shifts going from first to second ect, do you think it could still be a solenoid or valve body?
Sponsored

Last edited: