Sponsored

3D Printed Protoype Turbo Manifolds: Eye Candy Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
Any idea how far out are we on these?!? I really wanted this system when it was introduced to the public, but the wait is killing me. I since have a brand new Whipple sitting here waiting to go on. I would consider selling the Whipple if i knew I could have this in my hands soon.

Bob
Realistically, 2-3 months....as we need 8 weeks for the manufacturer to produce the castings once we confirm the 3D printed manifolds are perfect with no changes needed.

If any changes are needed, we have to have the manifolds re-printed and checked again for fitment.

If we have to revise the molds, you're looking at another $50K. The stakes are high & there is no room for error, so we've got to be 100% confident the mock-ups fit like a glove.
Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
If a customer ran only e85, would the exhaust gas temperatures be low enough that they could run the 3d printed version you have pictures of?

Just kidding, that's great looking stuff! I bet a bunch of folks are gonna go fast as hell with those. I've seen some really fast turbo cars with cast manifolds that weren't even designed with turbo use in mind.

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
If a customer ran only e85, would the exhaust gas temperatures be low enough that they could run the 3d printed version you have pictures of?

Just kidding, that's great looking stuff! I bet a bunch of folks are gonna go fast as hell with those. I've seen some really fast turbo cars with cast manifolds that weren't even designed with turbo use in mind.
You wouldn't' believe the number of people who have asked if they could buy the 3D printed manifolds...I was dumb founded, lol.

I appreciate the support and we look forward to having this kit on the market.

ben@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Turbo
Chris we can fire it up and test the theory on the dyno!! Im betting on meltdown before we get it loaded haha

Sponsored

FATHERFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yall don't have that 2000° rated plastic?

ben@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Turbo

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I wish we could 3D print metal, I've been struggling with getting the plumbing done for a small set of twins in a datsun 240z. My fabrication skills leave much to be desired, and it sure would be nice to be able to design them on a computer. I found out the hard way that late model corvette manifolds are double walled, which complicates things when you're trying to use them as turbo manifolds. Some of it looks like Ray Charles welding with a box of matches.

OP
OP

spdbydesign

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spdbydesign.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Vert
I wish we could 3D print metal, I've been struggling with getting the plumbing done for a small set of twins in a datsun 240z. My fabrication skills leave much to be desired, and it sure would be nice to be able to design them on a computer. I found out the hard way that late model corvette manifolds are double walled, which complicates things when you're trying to use them as turbo manifolds. Some of it looks like Ray Charles welding with a box of matches.
I've seen a few companies turbo kits that look like this on the market for various platforms over the years, lol.

I think the saying is "function over form"...but I disagree. :D

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
In my case, if I worried much about form I would never get the car running. Hopefully it'll be strong enough for its performance to take the edge off the ugliness of the piping. I expect mid-low 5's in the 1/8th pretty much as soon as it's somewhat dialed in.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.