Sponsored

25.2 mpg unbelievable!

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I can get close to 20mpg average if I keep the revs below 2k. I Normally get 16-17 MPG average.

The computer is also very optimistic and I find it that it's off by about 1mpg whenever I calculate it myself.
Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I can get close to 20mpg average if I keep the revs below 2k. I Normally get 16-17 MPG average.

The computer is also very optimistic and I find it that it's off by about 1mpg whenever I calculate it myself.
That's about what I'm getting in my 2015. I baby this thing and can't get anywhere near 25 on hwy, more like 20 to 21 and 16 - 17 in city

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Let me know how the 5.0 can defy physics and gets same gas milage as an engine with half the cylinders propelling near 200 lb lighter car?

Tests in a controlled environment clearly shows 2.3 having higher MPG than 5.0. And, no, there is absolutely no reason why Ford would sabotage test results for 5.0 as CAFE is a big deal.

https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-data/data-cars-used-testing-fuel-economy
The 5.0 doesnt defy physics i have driven an ecoboost mustang as a loaner, and i got about the same mpg as the gt with the way i drive. Ok lets say i am going up a hill or incline and cruise is on 60 mph that 5.0 has the torque to pull up that hill without to much of a sweat, whereas the 2.3 goes up and has to apply more throttle to get up the same hill. As soon as that ecoboost uses its boost, it is no longer just a 4 cylinder, it is using as much fuel as a 6 or 8 cylinder. Its all about how much you can control it without using boost, if you can then yes you will get better mpg than a gt but were not talking 2 maybe 3 mpg better under certain conditions.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I re-filled the tank last night, the average for my first tank is 25.8, no highway driving. Most of the time I was driving easy, a couple of good runs but I can't complain for a brand new car that had 8 miles on it when I got it.

Weather in the Chi-Town area has decided to be mental for the next week so the car is in the garage. I plan on using it for going to work next week for the whole week, we'll see how it does with insane Illinois drivers who insist traffic flows at 80 mph or better, I don't see the mpg being very good.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 5.0 doesnt defy physics i have driven an ecoboost mustang as a loaner, and i got about the same mpg as the gt with the way i drive. Ok lets say i am going up a hill or incline and cruise is on 60 mph that 5.0 has the torque to pull up that hill without to much of a sweat, whereas the 2.3 goes up and has to apply more throttle to get up the same hill. As soon as that ecoboost uses its boost, it is no longer just a 4 cylinder, it is using as much fuel as a 6 or 8 cylinder. Its all about how much you can control it without using boost, if you can then yes you will get better mpg than a gt but were not talking 2 maybe 3 mpg better under certain conditions.
My wifes Fusion 2.0 turbo on the highway is pretty good, you're right hills dip into the turbo which can cut the mpg in half or better until you get up the hill.

The A10 in normal mode keeps the car in gear almost like a converter lock and you can tell it's not even trying unless of course you hit a steep grade.

My 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII averaged 32 mpg on the highway because the converter locked, that car amazed me at how good it did on the hwy. Around town was another matter, it averaged around 18 - 20.

Sponsored

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Lol I don't know what you guys are doing to get those numbers. I get about 16.7 average driving relatively normally. I definitely don't shift below 2k RPM though I'll say that much. Cruise at about 75-80 MPH on the highway in 6th with 3.55s holds the RPM above 2k there as well.

Aaaaand a lot of downshifting, and engine braking, and a bit of fun on on-ramps since I drive on the highway on a daily basis. Ok I think I see why I can't get the same numbers.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Lol I don't know what you guys are doing to get those numbers. I get about 16.7 average driving relatively normally. I definitely don't shift below 2k RPM though I'll say that much. Cruise at about 75-80 MPH on the highway in 6th with 3.55s holds the RPM above 2k there as well.

Aaaaand a lot of downshifting, and engine braking, and a bit of fun on on-ramps since I drive on the highway on a daily basis. Ok I think I see why I can't get the same numbers.
Stock no tune or cai!

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Ahhhh the awesomeness that is driving a manual vs an auto. Since this is my first automatic Mustang I find myself not pushing it unless it's needed.

When I had my last one which was a 6spd stick and supercharged every on ramp was a blast. It begged to be driven fast and at 12.1 in the 1/4 it was fast for the street in 2007.

A full throttle pull on the 18 with the A10 is impressive as hell but not as much fun as a stick. I can no longer drive a stick due to my left foot which is a long story but the automatic accelerates so smoothly and with so little effort it puts a smile on my face, but man do I miss the manual.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Ahhhh the awesomeness that is driving a manual vs an auto. Since this is my first automatic Mustang I find myself not pushing it unless it's needed.

When I had my last one which was a 6spd stick and supercharged every on ramp was a blast. It begged to be driven fast and at 12.1 in the 1/4 it was fast for the street in 2007.

A full throttle pull on the 18 with the A10 is impressive as hell but not as much fun as a stick. I can no longer drive a stick due to my left foot which is a long story but the automatic accelerates so smoothly and with so little effort it puts a smile on my face, but man do I miss the manual.
That sucks man, but glad to hear you're enjoying the auto! I think I had better MPG before I put any exhaust on the car, now that I have rumbling and growling, I can't get enough so I tend to cruise at higher RPM lol even on the street.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Wild Horse may be getting his mileage due to his "tune", I get 19 city and 22-24 hwy.
Dunno. I do have a base GT which is a lot lighter then the Premium GT. In town for me is around 16-18 mpg.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I have a 129 mile commute...
What? That must be a typo. Even if it is round trip and just out of curiosity, why do you do that?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Wild Horse may be getting his mileage due to his "tune", I get 19 city and 22-24 hwy.
He's probably the only person on the forum, or even this planet, that tries to hypermile a GT :lol:

I can understand if these threads were started by a person with an Ecoboost, but if you own a V8, who cares? It's like a Prius owner running the 1/4 mile. It's like Ben Stiller going Simple Jack. Just stop.

Btw, your GT isn't going to get just 1-2 mpg less with combined city and highway. Think 5 mpg less. If you can get 30 mpg in a GT, you are driving wrong. Simple as that.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Some of us are using our cars daily with a commute to work. Mine for example is 80 miles round trip. Therefore I do care a bit about the mileage. I don't care about the mileage for when I'm using the car for fun but I do for my work commute. I don't find the need to drive aggressively everyday early in the morning and in traffic etc. Its not about driving it wrong, it just depends on how your using it. I never expected civic like mileage but was pleasantly surprised that when driven gently I only get 1mpg less then my Acura TL (26mpg vs 25mpg)(On 93).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
He's probably the only person on the forum, or even this planet, that tries to hypermile a GT :lol:

I can understand if these threads were started by a person with an Ecoboost, but if you own a V8, who cares? It's like a Prius owner running the 1/4 mile. It's like Ben Stiller going Simple Jack. Just stop.

Btw, your GT isn't going to get just 1-2 mpg less with combined city and highway. Think 5 mpg less. If you can get 30 mpg in a GT, you are driving wrong. Simple as that.
Not hypermiling anything. I set cruise at 65 mph (5 mph over the speed limit here), and forget about it.
And how am i driving it wrong? Last time I checked my car runs 11's.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
'15 GT PP, manual, supercharged. 80ish on the freeway and I drive "spiritedly" the rest of the time. I average around 14 mpg, which is cr@p but I don't daily drive it or commute in it.
Sponsored