2022 Mustang gt hydrocarbon filter

PaviSingh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavi
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The 22 Mustang gt loses 10 hp. I read this is because of the restrictive hydrocarbon filter. Ive seen videos of how to remove and get your 10 hp back. Will getting an aftermarket cold air intake also get me my hp back? How much hp do you think ill gain with an aftermarket intake. Also any aftermarket cold air itake recomendations?
Sponsored

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
The 22 Mustang gt loses 10 hp. I read this is because of the restrictive hydrocarbon filter. Ive seen videos of how to remove and get your 10 hp back. Will getting an aftermarket cold air intake also get me my hp back? How much hp do you think ill gain with an aftermarket intake. Also any aftermarket cold air itake recomendations?
Hi,

Our S550's are equipped with an excellent cold air intake right from the factory. It's completely closed and cold air is drawn from the front of the vehicle, through the grille on the passenger side.

IMO, standard CAIs are simply very expensive cosmetic kits. However, coupling a new CAI with a larger throttle body and a custom tune may push the power up a bit.

Removal of the carbon filter and installation of a K&N filter improves the throttle response and has smoothed out shifting of my 10R80, after a brief period of re-learning. Initially I was concerned about apparently unstable shifts, but it improved nicely.

Good luck with your research and upgrade!

OP
OP

PaviSingh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavi
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hi,

Our S550's are equipped with an excellent cold air intake right from the factory. It's completely closed and cold air is drawn from the front of the vehicle, through the grille on the passenger side.

IMO, standard CAIs are simply very expensive cosmetic kits. However, coupling a new CAI with a larger throttle body and a custom tune may push the power up a bit.

Removal of the carbon filter and installation of a K&N filter improves the throttle response and has smoothed out shifting of my 10R80, after a brief period of re-learning. Initially I was concerned about apparently unstable shifts, but it improved nicely.

Good luck with your research and upgrade!
What year is your mustang, the carbon air filter was added in 2022 which is the reason there saying there’s a loss of 10 hp

Sponsored

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I've got a 23 GT/CS.
The only thing that I've noticed after removing it is that when you sit at idle for 5 or 10 minutes, a fairly strong odor of hot oil occurs inside the car. I believe that's normal, and may be why the filter was added.

OP
OP

PaviSingh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavi
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just read the thread thankyou! So if I buy a K&n cold air intake for 200dollars I would essentially get my horsepower back too right?
If it is a "no tune" CAI the answer is no. It may look really good but you are not going to feel anything, although your head may think otherwise (placebo effect).

Also, and this has been discussed many times, the "Gross" 10HP loss is meaningless in terms of outright performance. Folks on here love to play with their Mustangs and this was something new to play with. No one has determined that in day to day driving the removal of the HC filter has resulted in a meaningful increase in performance. But again the placebo effect is real, and strong.

OP
OP

PaviSingh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavi
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If it is a "no tune" CAI the answer is no. It may look really good but you are not going to feel anything, although your head may think otherwise (placebo effect).

Also, and this has been discussed many times, the "Gross" 10HP loss is meaningless in terms of outright performance. Folks on here love to play with their Mustangs and this was something new to play with. No one has determined that in day to day driving the removal of the HC filter has resulted in a meaningful increase in performance. But again the placebo effect is real, and strong.
If you watch the video the dude above linked, there was a 18 horsepower gain on the dyno. Doesn’t this show that show a meaningful increase in performance

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If you watch the video the dude above linked, there was a 18 horsepower gain on the dyno. Doesn’t this show that show a meaningful increase in performance
I watched it. Very impressive. On the drag strip, maybe. In day to day driving not so much. I've spoken with a few folks who have done this and their overall reaction was meh. But it's a cheap mod so go for it if you are so inclined.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PaviSingh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavi
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I watched it. Very impressive. On the drag strip, maybe. In day to day driving not so much. I've spoken with a few folks who have done this and their overall reaction was meh. But it's a cheap mod so go for it if you are so inclined.
Yeah, it’s free horsepower so why not take it you know. I’ll still get the horsepower gain if I just buy a cold air intake correct?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yeah, it’s free horsepower so why not take it you know. I’ll still get the horsepower gain if I just buy a cold air intake correct?
If you are tuning for it sure you can even out and gain a bit. But open intakes lead to higher iats which can mean less timing aka less power. The +18 oem flows efficiently. Best bet, remove the carbon filter, replace intake filter with a high flow filter, keep oem intake. Increase in flow and keeps your iats down.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
The factory ambient air intake is sufficient for most applications vs. most aftermarket ambient air intakes.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Just read the thread thankyou! So if I buy a K&n cold air intake for 200dollars I would essentially get my horsepower back too right?
Hi,

Not exactly. I installed a $65 K&N filter element into the stock intake and removed the carbon filter. This definitely reduced air flow restriction, and I noticed a temporary destabilization of my 10R80 shifting accompanied by a slightly quicker throttle response. The shifting stabilized after about 100 miles and seems to be smoother than before the air filter mods. Is this real or imagined? I'm not sure, but it's really fun to tinker with the beast and even more fun to drive it! :)

I hope that I also gained HP, but without a dyno, I'll never know for sure!
Sponsored