2019 Mustang GT Paint Issue (Hood)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
First we sand down the metal to get it as clean as possible. Then we apply Oxyphos to the metal for a few minutes, and rinse. We do that at least 2 or 3 times making sure the phosphoric acid gets everywhere. We then sand one last time, wipe with alcohol, and immediately spray 2 coats of etch primer. Then we start the painting process.
Using this method we find corroded aluminium lasts about 4 to 5 years before it starts showing up again. Remember this is on a boat in a harsh marine environment. On a car, i would expect it to last a few years longer before seeing it come through again.
There is another product from Vanchem called Fostex JMF that looks very promising, but i have yet to find a distributor in the EU for it.
It is worth mentioning aluminium oxide forms on the surface VERY quickly (seconds) so the gap between prep and primer needs to be as fast as possible. It is also worth mentioning the effects will rarely become structural as with steel, but just a mess cosmetically.
Sponsored

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It is worth mentioning aluminium oxide forms on the surface VERY quickly (seconds) so the gap between prep and primer needs to be as fast as possible. It is also worth mentioning the effects will rarely become structural as with steel, but just a mess cosmetically.
That's right. Hence the importance of getting the etch primer on as quickly as possible

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
That's right. Hence the importance of getting the etch primer on as quickly as possible
Do you have an etch primer brand recommendation? I assume it will be just a single stage? I bought the 2 stage epoxy primer thinking that was going to be tougher. I'll look for some of the etching chemicals you mentioned too.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you have an etch primer brand recommendation? I assume it will be just a single stage? I bought the 2 stage epoxy primer thinking that was going to be tougher. I'll look for some of the etching chemicals you mentioned too.
Not really, whatever is available locally at the time. Mostly AwlGrip or AlexSeal

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm glad they're giving you a new hood because even if sanded and repainted, that area will always corrode. No way to repair this issue. You can only replace and hope for the best.
That's my understanding but not sure why that's the case. Why can't the contamination be removed unless the aluminum was contaminated through and through from the mill?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Two things I’m wondering about now. She told me Ford will send them a bare hood, they paint it (dealership’s body shop) and then call me to swap the hoods out.

1. I should have a new 3yr warranty on new hood for future paint defects?
I doubt that will happen. Its pretty standard for the warranty on replaced/repaired parts on most products to be either a set amount of time (eg. 1 year) or the original warranty expiration, whichever comes last. One reason for that is to discourage customers sabotaging things and the other obvious one is the original warranty period is all you were promised. Sad facts of life.
Sponsored