2019 Mustang GT Paint Issue (Hood)

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey all, just posting this to see if anyone else has experienced something similar on their car.

My car is shadow black and has only been hand washed twice (trying to avoid swirls) since new. I noticed the other day after washing the car at my usual spot that a small area on the top of the hood on the drivers side has started to bubble. (Will post pics tomorrow, ran out of daylight)

took the car to a Ford body shop that was recommended to me. Very nice lady came out and took a few pics to send off to Ford for approval. After speaking with her a bit she said that a lot of Ford Explorers with aluminum hoods have been seeing this sort of issue but she hasnā€™t seen too many Mustangs with it.
Once approved, she said Ford will ship them a new hood and they will call me once itā€™s good to swap out.
Maybe this time they will align the new hood properly on the car ;)
Sponsored

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thanks for sharing, please keep me posted. My 19 Shadow Black is having the same issues.
Iā€™ve been pondering taking it in to Ford also.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Known issue with the Aluminium hoods - its corrosion under the paint due to cross contamination during manufacture. Take it to the dealer and they will take some pics and send to Ford. Almost guaranteed you get a new hood.

Ford replaced the hood on my '16 back in March

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ya she told me she does roughly 3 Explorer hoods per week :eek: didnā€™t realize something like that could slip past QA but doesnā€™t surprise me.

took a couple pics of my hood for reference...
775A1FE9-36BC-4E27-8A5A-C9D98302846B.jpeg
3AD35D61-03A5-4F75-81B8-B847A20A8AAA.jpeg
19EC8CFC-A7C3-4FB0-9807-A85122AB6304.jpeg

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Was the hood wet when you took pics? Because there's quite a few paint bubbles I see (besides the edge area) which look like overspray.

The bubble on the edge has been happening since mid 2000s. Ford still hasn't gotten their shit together.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No the hood was dry and dirty. I park directly under a maple tree and it drops all kinds of things on my car :( every morning during the warmer months I walk out to see what looks like someone punctured a can of pop on the roof/side of my car but itā€™s from the tree.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Its a common problem with Aluminum hoods from 2009. Ford has still failed to fix the issue. Iā€™ve seen where folks have had it repaired by Ford only for it to come back later..

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's pretty sad that this has been such a long-standing issue and Ford just can't be assed to fix it. Aren't manufacturing companies supposed to embrace concepts like continuous improvement and six sigma quality?

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I took mine in for a paint issue. Sucks getting replacement painted parts.
Its a ford though

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Two things Iā€™m wondering about now. She told me Ford will send them a bare hood, they paint it (dealershipā€™s body shop) and then call me to swap the hoods out.

1. I should have a new 3yr warranty on new hood for future paint defects?

2. I paid for the premium undercoating thatā€™s guaranteed not to rust for 10 years. They should be on the hook to have the new hood done correct?

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Two things Iā€™m wondering about now. She told me Ford will send them a bare hood, they paint it (dealershipā€™s body shop) and then call me to swap the hoods out.

2. I paid for the premium undercoating thatā€™s guaranteed not to rust for 10 years. They should be on the hook to have the new hood done correct?
Undercoating will do nothing for galvanic corrosion. Unless you can get the coating in between the steel and aluminum, you can't prevent dissimilar metals from corroding.

I'm glad they're giving you a new hood because even if sanded and repainted, that area will always corrode. No way to repair this issue. You can only replace and hope for the best.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1

How much was the cost for to is coating?
Think Ford has a 5 year rust warranty anyhow. By then you could just a new cooler hood and re paint anyhow.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has the hood issue but I'm not going to replace it with the same problem. I'm gonna solve it with an aftermarket hood that cant rust. Haven't decided which one yet.

TechGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Convertible - Magnetic
I noticed my ā€˜16 GT Premium Convertible doing this on the hood and now I am finding the same thing happening at the top corners of both fenders as well. Itā€™s disappointing because the car has otherwise been amazing.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cervinis is having a sale ...
Sponsored