Sponsored

2018 Mustang Undercarriage

Maistroyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium
My F350 with a 6.7 Powerstroke has a composite oil pan. It's pretty stout. I was a little uneasy about it at first but after 6 1/2 years without any issues I can say they're good. If they work fine on a large turbo diesel, they'll be fine on a 5.0. The drain plus is very easy to remove and cannot physically be over tightened. Ford discontinued these after 2011 and went with the regular steel pan I believe because the composite pans are more expensive to produce.
Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Just to clarify on Gt350 exhaust, The toggle switch does switch to "open" or "Closed".When open, exhaust note is loud. When running in normal (Default) mode, as you apply throttle the exhaust will open gradually depending on how hard you accelerate.
Yes, that's why Roush can have custom positions on their quad upgrade kit, which uses the 350 Solenoids. There appears to be a return spring under the valve. Haven't had one off, so I can't verify that.

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Composite oil pan reduces NVH, aids in impacts, reduces aeration/foam, is lighter & stronger, doesn't magnetize, etc..

The active exhaust is worth every penny. I am particular about my sound, but after playing with the derivatives, it can convey different attitudes. You can hear more of the v8 cylinders rumbling, in either mode. It has more of a "cam" sound to the new yote3.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang gt
You know I appreciate these images. Until now, I sort of thought the s550 was merely a s197 ford threw a irs onto. Which one of those engineer interviews, sort of reinforced this notion. They said something regarding how they started with a s197 but eventually ended up changing everything before it was over, due to having to change the front suspension to cope with the new grip at the back. This led to a new k member, and new floors. I assume this is why the old wheelbase was retained . Comparing these to the boss 302 underside pictures on google , it is clear that every panel is different, just as the engineer indicated. I tend to take everything with a grain of salt though, given how often the phrase "total redesign" is thrown around. There is a few stamping similarities between the two chassis, although they might exists as merely a consequence of having to mount the same transmission and motor and the positioning that would be similar. I still wonder if a couple of vestiges of the old s197 platform remain in the s550 as a result of early Ford bean counting. Kind of interesting, that those old salesman tricks of cutaways,flipped cars, and comparative samples (like frame size vs competition in old f150 commercials) still seem to be the easiest method to communicate fundamental updates and increased stoutness, relative to the competition or past iterations. Noticed googling the 2016 camaro underside pictures, it seems to have an aluminum k member (at least it is bare metal, I presume it is aluminum). I am kind of glad ford stuck with steel for that particular part, body panels are one thing , but aluminum strikes me as a poor choice for parts that are most likely to be flexed.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Did they just paint the rear differential for show or will they actually be painting them? I've always noticed them just being a big rust color from the backside when people take them off.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Did they just paint the rear differential for show or will they actually be painting them? I've always noticed them just being a big rust color from the backside when people take them off.
Probably just for show. Not unlike how engine displays are done.

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, Shadow Black with Black Trim Pkg.
Note that the GT350 also has a composite oil pan. Added perk is that the "drain bolt" is not really a bolt.

Frankly, I can't think of anything cheaper than a regular ol' stamped steel oil pan.
IMG_7798- w svtp wm.jpg
Very true. Somewhere I just saw a post that Ford quit using the Engineered Polymer Composite oil pan on the big diesel trucks because it costs more than a steel pan. That drain plug is really nice too. Tool-less oil change! (I did my first a few weeks ago, and I like it.)

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My F350 with a 6.7 Powerstroke has a composite oil pan. It's pretty stout. I was a little uneasy about it at first but after 6 1/2 years without any issues I can say they're good. If they work fine on a large turbo diesel, they'll be fine on a 5.0. The drain plus is very easy to remove and cannot physically be over tightened. Ford discontinued these after 2011 and went with the regular steel pan I believe because the composite pans are more expensive to produce.
Oh, here's the post about the composite oil pan on the F350 6.7 Powerstroke that I just mentioned.

Sponsored

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I can't believe Ford showed off the underside so brazenly. No underseal AGAIN Ford !!! Come on learn from your mistakes
What exactly is 'underseal' translated English English to US English? We used to have 'undercoating', a thick rubbery tar-like coating supposed to prevent rust, but that's not needed these days with the superior series of rust-preventive metal treatments used on modern cars.

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely not. The waffle look is to aid cooling.
It might seem that cooling is the reason for the waffle look, but that's more relevant for metal parts, where the extra surface area means more cooling. I'm pretty sure in the composite oil pan, the waffling is for strength and rigidity while maintaining lighter weight, rather than getting the same strength from thicker moldings. Also, if it was for cooling, the square grid would not be good for air flow. Straight channels or something close, like curved but generally front to back ribs, would be best for cooling, i.e., heat exchange to the air. Also, unless heavily filled with graphene, the polymer composites generally conduct heat very poorly. Compared to aluminum, they are thermal insulators.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly is 'underseal' translated English English to US English? We used to have 'undercoating', a thick rubbery tar-like coating supposed to prevent rust, but that's not needed these days with the superior series of rust-preventive metal treatments used on modern cars.
I guess it’s undercoating in American English then. Although these days it does not have to be a tar-like coating as other products are available.
Over here they put salt on the roads in winter which rusts everything pretty bad even treated metals. E.g powder coating will not protect longer than maybe 10 yrs. galvanised steel will rust in a similar time etc. The Japanese manufacturers don’t protect their cars undersides either so ford aren’t alone. Volvo are particularly brilliant at protecting their cars with great galvanic coating and then a thick covering of a raptor bed liner like substance. Therefore a 20 yr old Volvo can look like new underneath while a 5 yr old ford or Mazda will look like it’s been through a war with subframes rusting from the inside out and bolt heads no longer usable, such that smaller ones round off too easily.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I guess it’s undercoating in American English then. Although these days it does not have to be a tar-like coating as other products are available.
Over here they put salt on the roads in winter which rusts everything pretty bad even treated metals. E.g powder coating will not protect longer than maybe 10 yrs. galvanised steel will rust in a similar time etc. The Japanese manufacturers don’t protect their cars undersides either so ford aren’t alone. Volvo are particularly brilliant at protecting their cars with great galvanic coating and then a thick covering of a raptor bed liner like substance. Therefore a 20 yr old Volvo can look like new underneath while a 5 yr old ford or Mazda will look like it’s been through a war with subframes rusting from the inside out and bolt heads no longer usable, such that smaller ones round off too easily.
The frame/unibody is galvanized and sealed very well against salt and the elements. It's just the stamped steel parts on the suspension that aren't treated. You can always use some fluid film or other wax/oil coating for those parts to keep salt from damaging them.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The body is galvanised, primed and painted. Look at the underside and you will notice the famously thin paint is even thinner where not on show to the customer. My red car is patchy red and grey underneath where ford saved money by using less red paint than on top.. Hence I think it’s probably a bit generous to say it’s sealed really well from the salt. Any small stone chips will instantly expose the steel to water and salt. Hence anything to make this less likely is a benefit if you live in a climate conducive to rust, especially with poorly surfaced roads.
Look at the underside pics of the red car further up this page to see how thoroughly the red paint was applied!! That example is especially patchy.
Sponsored