Sponsored

2018 Mustang Automatic Dyno at JDM Engineering

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Not that I give a crap about dyno numbers. But the 119 trap speed was run at Atco in the fall. Where the DA can approach -1800-2000. That's huge for power! If you look at the Camaro fast list. The guys that are claiming high trap speeds. Are also north easterners racing in the late fall. Just food for thought on the high trap speeds. My bolt on stalled auto is trapping 117 in the same good Atco air. So the 18s are making good power. I seriously doubt 500 crank. But good power none the less.
Just to point out i'm not advocating that the car is making 500HP.

I actually find it more likely that IF the engine really is SAE rated, then its probably rated for 465. Which means they can call it 460 and be on the LOW side of the 1% variance. Meaning you will get at LEAST 460, but you could get UP TO 470. If most the autos really are putting down 415whp, which seems to be the average dyno, then that just means that the A10 REALLY IS 10-12% power loss and that the engine is really just making 460-470 on average.

Both of which are within the tolerances we are told for both
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just to point out i'm not advocating that the car is making 500HP.

I actually find it more likely that IF the engine really is SAE rated, then its probably rated for 465. Which means they can call it 460 and be on the LOW side of the 1% variance. Meaning you will get at LEAST 460, but you could get UP TO 470. If most the autos really are putting down 415whp, which seems to be the average dyno, then that just means that the A10 REALLY IS 10-12% power loss and that the engine is really just making 460-470 on average.

Both of which are within the tolerances we are told for both
I could buy that.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Here is the video. He thinks he has a 500hp car

painful.
"As of right now....I have the highest horsepower....stock mustang...it could be the unicorn.":lol::lol:

I need to update my sig.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Me too. I'm also not saying 500 HP, that's a ridiculous claim to get clicks by a wannabe YouTube star. I'm saying 470-475 HP MAX.

I bet once the GT350 is taken out to pasture and the GT500 is released Ford will "bump" the new 5.0's HP and Torque # to the more accurate # especially since GM will probably be bumping the Camaro's power for 2019.

Hey [MENTION=15685]bluebeastsrt[/MENTION] I know I've probably asked you before but what does your car Dyno at to trap 117 mph?
My mods are headers, flex tune, and cold air intake. That was good for 421 to the wheels on late august pulls.

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
waiting with much anticipation for next weeks batch of dyno runs at 525hp... :D

Sponsored

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
painful.
"As of right now....I have the highest horsepower....stock mustang...it could be the unicorn.":lol::lol:

I need to update my sig.
:lol:

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
painful.

I need to update my sig.
To be fair "unicorns" do exist. I was at a mustang meet where 4 guys had dealer fresh 03 Cobras. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were all pretty close except one for some reason made 10whp more than the other 3 on all 3 of his pulls. It was stock down to the filter and tires.

Would 10HP matter much on the track? No. Not really. But it was still odd. I've seen an SVT Focus do the same at a gathering one too. One put down more power than other stock SVTf's for some reason.

Doesn't stop his vid from being funny.

Sadly it was the guys @ JDM telling him those numbers too. Saying it was 17% loss from the A10. Like I said in my post above if the tranny is working @ 10%, and being chilly the last few days, he's probably JUST over 470HP. So hes still in line with the average most are making.

Last edited:

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
To be fair "unicorns" do exist. I was at a mustang meet where 4 guys had dealer fresh 03 Cobras. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were all pretty close except one for some reason made 10whp more than the other 3 on all 3 of his pulls. It was stock down to the filter and tires.

Would 10HP matter much on the track? No. Not really. But it was still odd. I've seen an SVT Focus do the same at a gathering one too. One put down more power than other stock SVTf's for some reason.

Doesn't stop his vid from being funny.
There can be small variances. That one guy may have had better fuel quality.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
There can be small variances. That one guy may have had better fuel quality.
True, but they likely were all on 93, and being Cobra guys likely a name brand. Doesn't rule it out though.

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
The 2% that keeps being thrown around here only applies to below an advertised number and was to keep manufacturers from overinflating their numbers. There is no rule saying a car manufacturer may not advertise a number lower than what a car actually makes. Please stop spreading the FUD.

Sponsored

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
The 2% that keeps being thrown around here only applies to below an advertised number and was to keep manufacturers from overinflating their numbers. There is no rule saying a car manufacturer may not advertise a number lower than what a car actually makes. Please stop spreading the FUD.
:doh::doh:

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
No it's not. SAE Certification makes for very small tolerances with engines having to be make +-1% of their advertised power. There is very little wiggle room. Read it for yourself if you don't believe it.

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
No it's not. SAE Certification makes for very small tolerances with engines having to be make +-1% of their advertised power. There is very little wiggle room. Read it for yourself if you don't believe it.
Explain to me how the Hellcat is SAE rated at 707 horsepower and yet it makes significantly more power than within 1% of its rating.

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Explain to me how the Hellcat is SAE rated at 707 horsepower and yet it makes significantly more power than within 1% of its rating.
What is so difficult to comprehend here? You cannot assume that a chassis dyno is more accurately reading the engine's actual output than the OEM certification dyno. There is actually a well defined SAE procedure for this measurement and it is also considered a voluntary "witness test" in the industry as a third party representative is brought in to observe that the procedure is being adhered to, including dyno calibration algorithms. This is something you can actually Google search, the current standard is J1349. Here is a much older version of the document I found in a quick search:

http://www.mie.uth.gr/ekp_yliko/SAE_ΔΥΝΑΜΟΜΕΤΡΗΣΗ_ΜΕΚ.pdf

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
It doesn't make more than advertised.
Sponsored