Sponsored

2018 Mustang. Anyone warming to it?

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I don't hate it but I wouldn't buy one. The rear changes aren't too bad but they're change for the sake of change. Front and bonnet I really dislike. Headlights I don't mind but the lower grill no longer ties into the upper grill design wise and the fake brake duct area just looks wrong, it's lines don't match anything on the car. Given we'll likely miss out on the bonnet vents again the loss of the power bulge is going to make it look timid and plain, not at all muscle car like. Interior looks OK and more power and torque is always welcome.

I just couldn't live with the exterior changes though.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
So, on day one of the reveal opinion was 99% negative. I get that. People don't like change.

I'm seeing a shift towards a more positive attitude on the interwebs today though.

Are you guys warming to the new look yet?
I think it is a little simplistic to infer that the negative response has been due to resistance to change.

The early images did not put the car in a good light. The boring yellow colour (actually orange?) did not help and the blacked-out windscreen emphasised the plainness of the bonnet design even more. Keeping in mind that the Australian Mustang will probably not have the bonnet vents, the bonnet is going to look very pedestrian indeed.

From three quarter angle the car look ok, but from head-on it still looks very average. They went too far with lowering the frontal area, in my opinion.

The wider lower grille is a mistake too, it emphasises the lower nose even more.

However, I could probably live with it but would prefer not to.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
I have in the Magnetic official pictures, not too bad. I actually like it now.

I still don't like it in the Orange though

SPRTAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT 6MT
Am I the only one that finds the new digital dash hideous?
I personally think it looks cheap and nasty like the crap that was offered in some cars from the 80's

Sponsored

ICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic 6MT GT Fastback
Am I the only one that finds the new digital dash hideous?
I personally think it looks cheap and nasty like the crap that was offered in some cars from the 80's
I don't find it hideous, but I don't think it quite fits cohesively into the ethos of a Mustang either.

Very fitting to have it in the latest high tech Euro luxury car, but not in an 'old school' V8 muscle car.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It deffentantly needs an aftermarket front fascia

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Nope.

The front is still too blend. Like Camry.
Without heat extractor, the hood is just.... too... Camry...

I like the new digital dash, just not on my Mustang.
Call me old school but I like dials.
'Ground Speed' LOL. How cool is that :p

I do like the quad pipes and taillights though but not enough to sway me over.

S550 Ver 1.0 will be a future classic. That's for sure. :first:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Is anyone one with a 2016/17 on order contemplating cancelling and re-ordering the 2018? Just a thought.
Yes absolutely. The MY17 that I ordered is still coming but I will be caning that and reordering a 2018. If Australia is lucky we will get a lot of those new features included which SHOULD be on any new car at it's price point.
I have waited patiently ever since the Australian Mustang was first mentioned in 2014 for finances to be in place and it seems to me that I would be crazy to go ahead with buying the runout model.
Another year's wait will be ok (I hope).

Sponsored

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT
Noticed they have dumped the Pirelli's and used Michelin's must be a far better choice than the crap on our current mustangs.

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
I don't mind it but then again I like my 2016 (MY17) model better. I love the front end on mine and the retro style dash. The digital dash has no appeal to me, I am old school in many ways.

The questions is-if this was the car Australia was presented with back in 2015 instead of what we got, would we have embraced it just as much as we embraced our current model? I say the answer may be yes, we never had a factory Mustang until that time. A two door 50 year old legend built in the USA now in Australia.

Now that I have the luxury to choose between the two models, I prefer my 2016 model. But hey that's just me, each to their own. No matter which one we choose, it is still a legend and not a Toyota Puris

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
I don't mind it but then again I like my 2016 (MY17) model better. I love the front end on mine and the retro style dash. The digital dash has no appeal to me, I am old school in many ways.

The questions is-if this was the car Australia was presented with back in 2015 instead of what we got, would we have embraced it just as much as we embraced our current model? I say the answer may be yes, we never had a factory Mustang until that time. A two door 50 year old legend built in the USA now in Australia.

Now that I have the luxury to choose between the two models, I prefer my 2016 model. But hey that's just me, each to their own. No matter which one we choose, it is still a legend and not a Toyota Puris
Paul don't you have a MY2017 ?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
As I said day 1, tech, interior and engine improvements are great. Exterior changes are horrible and were so unnnecessary. They could have just done some tiny tweaks to the exterior, the other changes and called it a day and been onto a winner. Instead they ruined it.
My thoughts exactly. MY18 would have been a universal smash hit if they had left the front end alone. So much win dragged down by a failed redesign.

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Paul don't you have a MY2017 ?
Hi Paul, yes a MY2017 but built in 2016. Same ship buddy's you and me.
:cheers:
Sponsored