2018 GT PP - Cyl 3 Piston contact on wall - 6000 Miles

ntev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
2018 Mustang GT PP
6000 miles

Brought in for first oil change 2 weeks ago. Mentioned a passenger side 'valve tick' that was intermittent dependent on how warm the motor was, more noticeable when warm and at idle. Ford dealership ran some diagnostics. Metal shavings in the oil filter, Cyl 3 cylinder wall said to have 'light' rubbing from the piston, maybe loose wrist pin or something. Dealership corresponds with Ford and is told to order a new short block and xfer both heads. I want a crate motor.

Anyone have any experiences like this? I submitted a claim to the Ford line and got a case number which has 'been elevated'. I dont want to sit around and wait for an electronic message from Ford telling someone else what to tell me, I want to talk to a divisional, regional, some sort of actual person who I can make a change. Super upsetting to have an 6000 mile engine torn apart and rebuilt after I just paid over 40K for the car.

Nick
Sponsored

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
That really sucks. I would feel the same way. Good luck on the crate motor. But judging by what people have posted about short block replacement and the buyback process, it seems to be a slow process with very poor communication from Ford. Hopefully your experience is better.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If they don't give you a long block, try to lemon it and get a refund or a replacement car.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
You are up against 3 options really. Try and get the full motor which they likely won't do. See if you can lemon law/BBB the car. Finally just be happy with the short block and see if it helps.

While it is down you can ask Ford for payment assistance. Also if you decide to try and lemon it you can ask for a refund or replacement. Many threads on all the topics on this forum.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Hey man that sucks!

But I thought the tick was a normal characteristic according to Ford. Or is that the typewriter tick as opposed to the valve tick or the 2k piston rattle. So many noises...

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Lots of info on this issue. I would recommend contacting NTSB and file a complaint. If everyone who has this issue did this, the NTSB would be forced to investigate based a validated case numbers for engine issues. Currently there 12 total complaints for the 2018 Mustang; six are engine issues and four of these are for ticking.

Link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/FORD/MUSTANG

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....Dealership corresponds with Ford and is told to order a new short block and xfer both heads. I want a crate motor.....
While your being upset is understandable, Ford is doing right by you. Their obligation is to fix the problem, and that's what they're doing. A long block wouldn't make any difference in any way, so you're being taken care of properly.

I'd just let them fix it, it will be fine.

OP
OP

ntev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
While your being upset is understandable, Ford is doing right by you. Their obligation is to fix the problem, and that's what they're doing. A long block wouldn't make any difference in any way, so you're being taken care of properly.

I'd just let them fix it, it will be fine.
Metal shavings were found in the oil filter. The technician said that this is conistent with 'breaking in a motor' but I didn't see the shavings nor am I familiar with the amount of shavings conistent to such an instance. As far as I'm concerned there could be metal all throughout the motor and heads, but only the short block is being authorized.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Metal shavings were found in the oil filter. The technician said that this is conistent with 'breaking in a motor' but I didn't see the shavings nor am I familiar with the amount of shavings conistent to such an instance. As far as I'm concerned there could be metal all throughout the motor and heads, but only the short block is being authorized.
The filter got the shavings, and the heads will be fine.

Just relax, let them do their work and take care of the situation. I promise you, it will be fine. And you'll have a new motor too. Make sure they give you a car to drive for the duration of the repairs.

I know it sucks, but these things happen. It will get taken care of.

Don't stress about this, it's standard stuff techs do all the time, and they have fantastically detailed instructions and check lists to go through.

OP
OP

ntev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Long block has been ordered through the dealership, apparently. Will meet it when it comes in, and keep you all updated.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
That's what happened with mine, they said short block, then sent me pics of the long block they received and installed.
Sponsored