Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
mine has the 2k piston slap only when dead cold once warmed up no noises are heard beyond the DI injectors when active. But I am only at 700 miles on the car.
So the 2k noise is piston slap?
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
So the 2k noise is piston slap?
Yes, sounds exactly like my old inline 6 cyl on my E30 did when cold. You couldn't hear it once warm. I do detect the noise still being there when warm just not as loud. Between 2-3k RPM...

Well let's hope my engine doesn't end up like OP's

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
Here's my 19' fully warmed up. not sure if the phone captures it but there is a slight tick at 2-3k rpm especially when I first get on the throttle

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Uploaded a video of mine when cold.
My Mustang GT Diesel (lol)

Tell me this sounds normal....

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Uploaded a video of mine when cold.
My Mustang GT Diesel (lol)

Tell me this sounds normal....
Sorry, not normal engine noises there. Get the dealer to check it out, and have them look for metal in the oil and in the oil filter.

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I dropped the car off at the dealership this morning (again).

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Mine is much louder inside than out. If I roll the windows down, the sound inside goes away or is heavily masked. I just hear the exhaust note and occasionally a faint bit of the rattle if any at all.
That did make me wonder about the tube amplifying the sound inside.
I also don’t have the “tick” at all, just the odd light load rattle.
Unfortunately, the loads and rpms under which it is doing it is broadening and the miles creep up.
It currently does it between 1,800-3,300 rpms in the first 3 gears. Once you get in to 4th gear it doesn’t appear to rattle under any condition.....yet.
I am sure it didn’t do it when I first got the car. I started noticing it around the 300 or 400 mile mark.
Yeah same here, mine is definitely louder inside. I can hear it outside, but not anywhere near as easily.

If the dealer is going to remove the oil pan again, you should ask them to check the rod side clearance, which is easy and quick to do.
That's a good idea, I'll do that.

I had two F150 loaners and I owned 18 (lemoned) and now I own 19. All rattled.
I thought the people report that they dont have it didnt know what they are looking for.
now, I got disappointed by you saying you have seen 2 18s without the rattle. it is strange.
Did you listen them when oil was cold? I mean if you met with them somewhere that they had to drive, oil would be warm...
Yes, engine cold. Car had a few thousand miles too, and the stock exhaust, so the rattle should have been easy to hear. Now...I wasn't driving, so it's possible their car does rattle, but they don't drive it in a fashion that would let me hear it. I can make mine do it at will, between 1800-2200/2300 RPM, but I have to be really light on the gas. If my friend was driving heavier footed than me, it would have likely stayed quiet.

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Ford Dealership says Ford won't allow them to touch it. They advised me that I should start the lemon law and gave me the BBB contact info.
Funny thing, they said "it definitely doesn't sound normal", but also said "Ford won't let us touch it now".

Welp, here we go I guess...

Sponsored

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The claim will first be reviewed to determine if it involves a warranty dispute against an automobile manufacturer. If the claim involves a warrantable defect or non-conformity, you will receive an email confirmation within the next business day with instructions on how to create an online account using the PIN number you provided when filing your claim. Please check your junk or spam folder if you do not see an email in your in box. The consumer account will have the initial claim packet including the Customer Claim Form (CCF) for printing. You may also upload your supporting documents including:

1. Copies of your repair order;

2. Copies of your current vehicle registration;

3. A copy of your sales or lease agreement; and

4. Any other correspondence or notification letters related to your claim

A hard-copy of the initial packet will also be mailed to you.

A copy of your complaint may be shared with the automobile manufacturer (where applicable) and a company representative may contact you to discuss a possible resolution.

How fun...

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Ford Dealership says Ford won't allow them to touch it. They advised me that I should start the lemon law and gave me the BBB contact info.
Funny thing, they said "it definitely doesn't sound normal", but also said "Ford won't let us touch it now".

Welp, here we go I guess...
Derp? Why can't they touch it? I know that ford put out something stating the BBQ tick was normal, but not this...

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah, they are saying it's related to that, even though it's clearly not.
I think they just don't want to deal with it any more.

FYI, on my first engine, this is what is on my invoice as far as the symptoms...

DAjgAHQ.jpg

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
How do you see a wrist pin from the spark plug hole?