Sponsored

2018 GT engine rattle.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
So you guys got me searching around some more to see if I could find other rattle videos. Ran across thins one;
[ame]

If that plate is like that on both the manual and auto cars, I could easily see how that could cause a noise like this under the right load and rpm. I'll crawl under mine this weekend to have a look.
Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
FWIW, I'm going to see if I can capture the noise mine is making this evening. I have a 2018 GT PP, and mine sounds pretty much exactly the same as cgldad's video of his 17. Roughly the same RPM/load scenario too. Now that I can hear it, I can ALWAYS hear it though, even at steady cruise at 65. It's just faint, and it started at around 500 miles (1030 on the car now).

I was even able to catch a peep of mine while driving this morning with the window down, and to me, it sounded it was coming from under the car more than in front of it...but it's really difficult to tell sitting inside.

Anyway, I'm not convinced this is a problem with the engine yet, so much as it's something else picking up an engine harmonic of some kind. I just talked to a co-worker about getting mine up on a lift this weekend to see if we can spot it, and I was going to order a cheap "action camera" to mount on the underside of the car to see if I can help spot it that way. Normally I wouldn't blow cash on a camera for something like this, but I'd like to help solve this riddle, and then I get a camera I don't care about that I can mount in cool spots for autox.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I have a chassis ear, but like I said I'm not wanting to spend too much time on it. Ford can figure it out. I certainly think the sound is internal myself. Also, I can make my 2013 F-150 make the same noise around 2300 RPM as well... (There may be some correlation there with timing differences between my truck and the car that make sense) I'd like to to get in to another Mustang and see if it makes the same noise. Need to get in my dads truck and see if I can get it to make the same noise as well..

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Slightly off-topic, but did your Ford dealer tell you that they would charge you a diagnostic fee if they could not duplicate a condition that you asked them to address under factory warranty?

I've been to two different Ford dealers in the Northeast that did this; once when I had my 2010 Taurus in for warranty work a while ago, and for the 2016 Mustang I got rid of....
I've never been told this by any service dept. They also know I would never bring it to them unless there was a real reason to. If they told me some crap like that, then I'd never go back to them..

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Interesting that the noise happens in a 2013 F-150, I wonder if this is just normal chatter for this engine then?

Sponsored

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Interesting that the noise happens in a 2013 F-150, I wonder if this is just normal chatter for this engine then?
Normal, probably not.. Just happens to be there, probably so..

I've really never heard it will I started looking for it on my truck.. Once I found it, it made sense because I'd hear a little something every now and then when it was cold.. But the auto tranny makes it really hard to hear if it's in auto mode because it won't hold 2300 RPM, it will just change gears..

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
This was pulled from a GT350 site.. Not sure if I can link the page, but here is the SSM from Ford regarding the GT350 and forged pistons...
SSM 45738.JPG

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
This was pulled from a GT350 site.. Not sure if I can link the page, but here is the SSM from Ford regarding the GT350 and forged pistons...
Are the pistons forged in the 18 motors?

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Here is also a video that the GT350 guys had... Sounds the same, maybe a slightly higher RPM..

Listen around the 3:10 mark on..

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
But does yours abate when warm? Mine doesn't, I can always hear it. Temp doesn't seem to make any difference, and my rattle sounds identical to what you posted.

I don't want to deal with the hassle of a dealership warranty repair if I don't absolutely have too. I'd like to try and troubleshoot this myself first, which is why I'm going to play around to see if I can discover what mine is. I'm hopeful it's nothing serious, car only has 1k miles on it.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
But does yours abate when warm? Mine doesn't, I can always hear it. Temp doesn't seem to make any difference, and my rattle sounds identical to what you posted.

I don't want to deal with the hassle of a dealership warranty repair if I don't absolutely have too. I'd like to try and troubleshoot this myself first, which is why I'm going to play around to see if I can discover what mine is. I'm hopeful it's nothing serious, car only has 1k miles on it.
Yes, it certainly gets better about 10 miles or so.. I can still hear it, but it is really faint at that point to where I need to be listening for it to hear it.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Yes, it certainly gets better about 10 miles or so.. I can still hear it, but it is really faint at that point to where I need to be listening for it to hear it.
It's possible we are chasing different issues that sound similar then...though your video nails the sound my car makes to a T. Mine is never very loud, and I don't think it's piston slap because it doesn't go away when it's warm. I haven't noticed mine changing in volume much, if at all in fact.

I'll see if my phone can capture the sound leaving work today, and if it does, I'll get it posted up so we can compare notes. Another thing I've noticed with mine, is that I can change the pitch of what I hear in the cabin by putting some light sideways pressure on the shifter. I haven't been able to listen to the noise outside enough to know if this also impacts how it sounds under the car.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It's possible we are chasing different issues that sound similar then...though your video nails the sound my car makes to a T. Mine is never very loud, and I don't think it's piston slap because it doesn't go away when it's warm. I haven't noticed mine changing in volume much, if at all in fact.

I'll see if my phone can capture the sound leaving work today, and if it does, I'll get it posted up so we can compare notes. Another thing I've noticed with mine, is that I can change the pitch of what I hear in the cabin by putting some light sideways pressure on the shifter. I haven't been able to listen to the noise outside enough to know if this also impacts how it sounds under the car.
Is yours around the same 1900 RPM or so? I can make a very similar sound with my transmission if I keep pressure on the shifter.. Yours may very well be tranny related... Can you make it go away with shifter pressure?
Sponsored