txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
I had the same notchiness. I change the fluid with the same BG fluid that you used and installed a weighted shift knob. The knob definitely helped eliminate most of the notchiness to the point that it feels pretty smooth for me.
Hmm... that's interesting that your heavy knob had that much of an effect! Where did you get yours?
Sponsored

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: August 25, 2023

Before my last track date I removed the Ford Performance hood struts due to the poor fitment of the passenger side fender bracket. No matter how hard I tried, I could never seem to get it positioned right or tight enough to not twist. Eventually the hood strut started popping off the bracket because it was so misaligned.

I ended up ordering just the fender brackets from the Redline Tuning hood strut kit (P/N: 55-00017). Iā€™m really impressed with the design and quality over the Ford Performance versions.

Here are some comparisons:

IMG_2031.jpeg

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: September 1, 2023

I absolutely LOVE going to Summit Racing in Arlington TX!!!

Sure, ordering on-line has itā€™s charms (especially if you can get free shipping), but thereā€™s nothing like that feeling of seeing speed parts in person šŸ˜Ž

There were some really cool cars in the showroom and I was able to sneak a quick photo in front of the store šŸ˜

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: September 3, 2023

After 39k miles and 15 track days, I replaced my spark plugs. I went with a set of NGK 6509 and gapped them at .049ā€

Here are the gaps I measured from the factory plugs I removed šŸ˜³

Definitely explains some of the poor performance I was experiencing after my last track day.

CylinderGap
#1.056ā€
#2.058ā€
#3.056ā€
#4.056ā€
#5.054ā€
#6.060ā€
#7.056ā€
#8.058ā€

IMG_2078.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: September 4, 2023

I love my Ford Performance Oil-Air Separator. I also love my Mishimoto radiator. Unfortunately those didnā€™t play nice (see here) and I needed a solution. Fortunately @StangTime has an amazing relocation kit that comes with a bracket that looks, feels, and fits like itā€™s OEM. Super impressed with this kit!

However, I live in Texas which on its own is super hot during the summers, but I also track my car which introduces a whole new level of heat to the engine bay. What that meant for the relocation kit was a breakdown and collapse of the hoses that came with the kit šŸ˜Ÿ

I still wholeheartedly believe in this kit, it just needed a Texas level hose solution. I ordered some 5/8ā€ PCV/Fuel hose from Radium Engineering to replace the collapsed hoses. I also picked up Earl's Performance Hose Inner Support Springs (P/N 770410ERL) from Summit Racing.

Iā€™m super happy with the new hoses and Iā€™m sure that the inner support springs are going to protect them from collapsing in the future.

IMG_2096.jpeg

IMG_2097.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: September 9, 2023

In post #110 I eluded to some ā€œpoor performanceā€ I was experiencing after that hot August track day (never again!)

Itā€™s really hard for me to describe itā€¦ something was just ā€œoffā€. Between 1k-2k RPM the car just felt kinda sluggish. I couldnā€™t tell if it was the engine, transmission, or something else. I changed the oil (no change) then I changed the spark plugs (no change). I had previously changed the transmission oil so I was sure that was fine.

I decided to go ahead and replace the differential oil to see if that might make a difference... and it did! After replacing the rear diff oil the car seemed to go back to her happy, free spirited, smooth running, galloping self that Iā€™ve always enjoyed! šŸ˜Š

I went with Red Line GL-5 75W90 for the new fluid. I may try the 75W140 in the future, but Iā€™m super happy with the 90 for now.

IMG_2142.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Track Date: October 7-8, 2023

Best. Track. Days. Ever!

After the obnoxiously hot track day back in August, I was super happy to get her back out on the track in some much cooler weather. This HPDE event was put on by The Drivers Edge and took place at Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX running the 2.7 mile course in the clockwise (reverse) direction.

I got to hang out with @Bruzer and his beautiful Mach 1 both days. We actually first met at this exact track back in 2022. I love making track day friends šŸ˜

One of the things that has always plagued my track days was the eventual check engine light with random misfire codes. The car always seemed to run fine and I never noticed a performance issue, but it was always a little concerning that those codes would always pop up.

However, this time no misfire codes! The only thing I can really attribute this to is possibly the new spark plugs gapped at .049ā€. Itā€™s entirely possible that the large (and varied) gaps in the old plugs were the culprits during high RPMs.

I was working on my heel-toe shifting all weekend and made great improvements in this important technique. Towards the end of the event, I found myself thinking less and naturally doing it more. A few more track days and it should be second nature!

I did have one ā€four offā€ incident where I came in too hot, used all my grip for braking (brake or turnā€¦ choose one!) and ended up going off track. I didnā€™t let that discourage me, rather I learned from it and improved šŸ‘

Here was the ā€œbest lap timeā€ breakdown for each session over the two days:

Saturday:
1. 2:26.960 (instructed)
2. 2:24.873 (solo)
3. 2:22.666 (instructed)
4. 2:20.648 (solo)

Sunday:
1. 2:22.641 (instructed) (ā€œfour offā€ Link to video)
2. 2:21.581 (solo)
3. 2:20.091 (instructed)
4. 2:17.752 (solo) (Link to video)

IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0260.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
I got my report card from my instructor šŸ˜

Things really progressed for me over those two days and my instructor was fantastic. I canā€™t wait to get back out!

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: October 22, 2023

In post #108 I replaced the Ford Performance hood strut fender brackets with the better fitting Redline Tuning brackets. With the Ford Hood struts I didnā€™t have to do anything special with the windshield washer tubing mounted to the hood. Maybe because the brackets didnā€™t fit very well, the twist in the mount actually provided clearance for the hose šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Well, regardless, with the Redline Tuning brackets installed and fitting PERFECTLY, the hose got crushed. Oops, completely my mistake. Iā€™ve been around the forums long enough to have heard about the need to adjust the hose routing slightly.

I worked with Benny @LevittownFordParts to get a discount code for a new OEM washer hose (JR3Z-17A605-A). The install was pretty easy. Just had to remove the passenger wheel, fender liner, and a good bit of the hood insulation retainers.

The new hose even comes with the mounting tabs pre-installed which made it pretty dead simple to install. All I had to do was put in the right ā€œwhoop-de-doā€ in the hose and everything was back to normal.

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: October 28, 2023

In the previous post, when I replaced my windshield washer hose I accidentally dropped one of the hood insulation retainers down the front of the engine. In an effort to try and find it, I was underneath the car trying to see if it was resting on the under belly tray. Thatā€™s when I saw this:

IMG_0550.jpeg

Yeah, thatā€™s a worn spot on the Ford Performance Track Handling Kit sway barā€¦. Apparently it has been rubbing against one of the Mishimoto oil cooler line fittings. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

When I had installed the oil cooler I had made sure that there was clearance between the fittings and the sway bar. However, that check was performed when the car was up on jack stands. Once the car is off the stands under its own weight, that gap closes a bit as the middle part of the sway bar moves downward. Now enter some aggressive track driving and things (apparently) start to rub.

The solution is to rotate the thermostatic sandwich plate a bit more as well as adjust the angle of the hoses. To get proper access, I really needed to remove the underbelly tray. But after I had installed the PP2 air splitter, it seems that the plastic rivets used as part of that install prevents separating the underbelly tray from the splitterā€¦

So, I actually just took the entire front number off with the underbelly tray and PP2 splitter still attached. At the height of my car on jackstands, a 5 gallon bucket slides perfectly under the tray for additional support while un-bolting the bumper.

I adjusted the sandwich plate and the hoses and hit the worn part of the sway bar with some Ford Blue spray paint. Itā€™s not a perfect match, but will protect the bare metal and let me know if the problem is permanently fixed šŸ‘

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0595.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: November 12, 2023

Iā€™ve been on the hunt for some new track wheels. The original plan was to use the OEM 19x8.5ā€ Polished Aluminum wheels (255/40-19) for the street and LMRā€™s SVE 19x10ā€ PP2 replica wheels (285/35-19) for the track.

As these things go, I fell in love with the look of the PP2 style wheels and after the tires on the OEM wheels were down to the wear bars, I never put them back on again.

After a lot of research, I really wanted to get a set of APEX EC-7 wheels in 18x11ā€. Those are the cheapest set that Apex sells and the track tire options for 18ā€ wheels are great.

If I could pickup a used set that would really be fantastic, so I setup a Watch on the Member Classifieds Wheels & Tires forum and installed the Mustang6G app on my phone so I could receive push notifications. Iā€™d check out new postings, but unfortunately anything close to what I wanted was always out of state.

Then, one fateful day I got a notification of not one but TWO sets of Apex 19x11ā€ wheels for sale in my area! A huge bonus is that they both had used but still useable tires!

Not having a truck myself, I had to coordinate with my dad to borrow his to go pick them up. I met @RandomTask at Eagles Canyon Raceway where he was driving with Chin Track Days for a two day event. He was kind enough to bring both sets to the track and after some great car/track talk I loaded up the tires and took them home.

The next day I gave the GT a bath and did a little photo shoot at a local park. Here are the before, after, and after again shots:

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0675.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: November 16, 2023

Back in April of 2022, I installed the Ford Performance Front Control Arm Kit (M-3075-F) with the integrated brake cooling air deflectors to support the eventual install of the 15ā€ rotors and 6-piston Brembo calipers as well as the Performance Pack belly pan.

Well, after 14 track days the front driver ball joint on the tension link finally gave out. On my last track days (Oct 7 & 8) out at Eagles Canyon Raceway, I probably went over this bit of curbing about 56 times just that weekend šŸ˜³

IMG_0036.jpeg

You know what they say, ā€œYou paid for the whole track, so use the whole track.ā€

I really just wanted to service the bad ball joint, but come to find out that it is NOT serviceable and you have to replace the whole damn control arm!

Well, if I must replace them, time to see what upgrades are available. I really like BMR Suspension components and so I started looking at their CBK760 Front Radius Rod Bearing Kit, but Iā€™d still have to source a new control arm and I donā€™t have the shop equipment to press out the factory bushing and press in the new bearings.

Instead, I widened my search for some pre-assembled replacements and finally settled on the Steeda S550 Mustang Front Control Arms Tension Links w/ Bearings. The install was straight forward and I look forward to seeing how these feel on the track.

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build date: November 29, 2023

Big wheels (post #117) need big camber! I already had -2 degrees dialed in with the FP Track Handling kit, but with a target of -3 degrees I needed some help from some castor/camber plates. After a good bit of research, I decided to stay local and chose the Vorshlag plates made right here in Plano, TX.

For the install and alignment, on the recommendation of @RandomTask, I went with Texas Track Works in Fort Worth, TX. They wanted me to bring my track tires so that they could make sure we had proper clearances around the suspension and fenders/liners. Of the two sets of 305/30-19 tires I have, the Eagle F1 Supercar 3Rā€™s are actually a little wider than the Hankook RS4ā€˜s, so I wanted to bring them for the fitment.

Did you know you can fit four 19x11ā€ wheels wrapped in 305/30-19 tires inside a Mustang? šŸ˜‚

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg

When I got to Texas Track Works we uncovered a bit of mis-communication where they thought the castor/camber plates were going to be ā€œcustomer suppliedā€ while I thought that they were being provided by the shop (the cost of the plates were included on the quote I received and agreed to when I made the appointment).

It was an honest mistake that either of us should have been able to prevent with a bit more clarification before the appointment. I was fully expecting to have to leave and reschedule for a different day. However, Trent (The Puppet Master) doesnā€™t give up that easily! He contacted Vorshlag, had them expedite making the plates (apparently they are made to order!!!) and then had them couriered (put in an Uber!) and delivered from Plano to Fort Worth!!

Absolutely amazing customer service. Everyone makes mistakes, but the lengths Trent went through to make it right will ensure that I am a repeat customer and will recommend ANYONE who needs quality work done to take their business to Texas Track Works!

Oh, and get thisā€¦ the Uber driver delivered my plates in ā€Americaā€™s Most Affordable EVā€ā€¦ the 2023 Chevy Bolt EV šŸ˜‚

Throughout the install, Forrest (Owner) made sure to work with me on castor and camber settings and gave me some solicited recommendations on what I might do next to the car (Vorshlag Brake Cooling Deflectors šŸ˜Ž).

The plates and install look amazing and I canā€™t wait for my next track day to see how she handles now!

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0785.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention that I had them enlarge the strut tower hole while they were at it!

IMG_0788.jpeg
Sponsored