Sponsored

2018 comparison to 2015

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
You shouldn't have to shop as high as a GT350R or Chevy's [late] Z/28 to get a similar level of equipment that's light on amenities and tech-for-the-sake-of-gee-whiz-tech, either.

How many people really care about the texture of the plastic interior bits while they're actually driving the car? For those that perhaps actually do, is a Mustang truly the right car?

Norm
I'll pile on by saying that in 2017 there is just no excuse for cheap plastic in a car that is anything other than the most bargain basement model. How much more can "good" plastic cost, $5 per car? OK, maybe $10.
Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
I'll pile on by saying that in 2017 there is just no excuse for cheap plastic in a car that is anything other than the most bargain basement model. How much more can "good" plastic cost, $5 per car? OK, maybe $10.
Just speculating, but it could be purely a weight decision. Better quality plastics are likely denser and would add to the overall weight of the car. Being that IRS added so much weight this may have been a way to not only keep costs down but also weight.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I'm hoping that stock vs stock that the 2018 GT will be faster in the 1320 than my 2014 GT.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
The pictures are growing on me kinda...im liking that rearend more and more but is the new front grille really bigger than the '15-'17?..hope not cause it was big enough already!

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
The pictures are growing on me kinda...im liking that rearend more and more but is the new front grille really bigger than the '15-'17?..hope not cause it was big enough already!
Yes, it is clearly bigger, and I think that is my main gripe with it. The first S550 grill was pretty perfect in my opinion, aggressive but not obnoxious. Somehow the front of the '18 seems more droopy. I like the more defined edges, but something about it makes it seem like the front end sags... can't really put my finger on it though.

Sponsored

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Yes, it is clearly bigger, and I think that is my main gripe with it. The first S550 grill was pretty perfect in my opinion, aggressive but not obnoxious. Somehow the front of the '18 seems more droopy. I like the more defined edges, but something about it makes it seem like the front end sags... can't really put my finger on it though.
The S550.1 headlights sweep backwards on the top, and the side/rear comes up and they meet at a point.
The S550.2 headlight sweeps back, but then turns down and meets the bottom at a downward angle.

That's what gives it that derpy, droopy look.

Same reason the S550.1 looks so much more aggressive than the S197.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
The S550.1 headlights sweep backwards on the top, and the side/rear comes up and they meet at a point.
The S550.2 headlight sweeps back, but then turns down and meets the bottom at a downward angle.

Agreed, it is partially that, but if you look at the comparison on the first page, the ".2" all of the defining points on the front are pulled down and out (fog lamps area, grill bottom, plastic between the openings and lower grill). That combined with the more flat hood I think all adds up to give it that saggy front end look. It would be worse, IMO, if they had not made the lines on the front more crisp and added the shiny-ness to the black in the grill.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes

Walk through any parking lot. The upturned headlights are prevalent from Prius, Accord, Fusion, Accent, you name it. I would describe the 2018 more of "meets in the middle" since the whole light is somewhat angled up. This is more in line with BMW headlights. Compare a 2005 5 series to a 2015 5 series. I like that Ford is deviating from the pack a bit.

But, I am not disparaging the '15-17 look. The reality is that while we may scrutinize the each model like Aylmer, focusing on minor differences that offend our sensibilities, others can barely see the difference. They see both as clearly Mustangs.

I think those who say the 18 is ugly, must not like the 15-17 that much either. Those who think the 15-17 will look out of date are overstating the difference. How many of you (who have never owned one) can spot the difference between a 2001 and 2002 BMW 3 series?

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Definitely I do not think the 2018 is ugly. I just do not like it better than the 2015. Which is what I think most people's issue is.

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
I think it still looks pretty aggressive. The car looks much better in person.
IMG.jpg

Sponsored

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Not a fan of the 2018. That being said, I wasn't a fan originally of the S550 and it grew on me to be one of my favorite car designs out now. This could be another situation. At least from a technical aspect we know it will be better.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I had the opp to cancel my 2017 order and wait for the 2018 and I just don't like it. The only thing I would have off the 2018 is the quad exhaust and increased engine power.

That. Is. All.

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had the opp to cancel my 2017 order and wait for the 2018 and I just don't like it. The only thing I would have off the 2018 is the quad exhaust and increased engine power.

That. Is. All.
So you'd stick with the stock Pirelli's?

I guess some people's tastes are quite fruity.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The '15 looked great when it first came out, as did the '05. But I'm sorry the front of the '18 looks dropey (not right) and the vents look like they've been stuck on as an after thought. Speaking to someone at Ford, he said they've had very mixed reviews on the '18 (read this as not good) and they are going to learn the lessons for the '20. Leaving the aesthetics to one side though, can't complain about the other improvements for a midway life refresh.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Ive stuck with my stock pirellis..awesome tire about this time of year too
Sponsored