2017 Ford Mustang will outperform Chevy Camaro in every way

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Ahhh yes the big day is almost here! thePill cannot contain his excitement!
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
GM will not reveal weights on the 16th either. If they had good news they would be letting you know. What will happen is that they will ignore the weight issue or come out with a small blurb about "Camaro chassis will lose 200 pounds in some configurations". Putting off weight numbers can mean only one thing, it didn't lose as much weight as claimed. Bow tie boys better work on their excuses when this happens. And again I'll say the same thing happened here last year. Unrealistic expectations and letting the rose-colored glasses cloud the picture of reality. If GM was smart they would be touting their strong suit the LT1 engine/8 speed automatic combo. As quiet as they are about it makes you again wonder how much they are detuning it as we speak.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
GM will not reveal weights on the 16th either. If they had good news they would be letting you know. What will happen is that they will ignore the weight issue or come out with a small blurb about "Camaro chassis will lose 200 pounds in some configurations". Putting off weight numbers can mean only one thing, it didn't lose as much weight as claimed.

Good point and I do see a slight reduction. It shares the Alpha platform but I believe it was made longer and wider than the ATS. I say we do base SS (manual) weights guess now to see who is closest. My guess - 3750 lbs.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
If the Non-Track Pack ATS-V weighs 3800-3820lbs without the Recaro's or Protection Package equiped, a Camaro being under that is very unlikely... unless it's a shorten Alpha.

It's possible the Camaro's smaller equipment regains some of the Track Packs 33lbs BUT, consider the standard 20 inch wheels. That is 40lbs easy, even the smaller rotors on the Camaro wouldn't offset that. Maybe 19's are standard but they are heavier than the ATS-V's wheels.

I just don't see a $37,000 SS weighing less or out-performing a $62,000 Sports Coupe.

...and that's if it stays the exact same size. I anticipate a track increase in the front at a minimum. I also can visually see the Camaro has more exterior mass.

Last edited:

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I was hopeful with all the weight loss hype before the release of the 2015 Mustang. With those dreams shattered it's more of a wait & see on the 2016 Camaro.

With what Chevy did to the 2016 Malibu makes me think a lighter Camaro is possible. We will all know soon enough.

2016 Chevy Malibu vs 2015 Chevy Malibu Design

When examining the differences between these two Malibu editions, the first thing that is apparent is size and design. Employing lighter, stronger materials, the new 2016 Chevy Malibu is nearly 300 pounds lighter, but has increased in its dimensions. The wheelbase of 2016 models has added 3.6 inches and the overall length of the Chevy sedan has added 2.3 inches. These increases have led to a longer, leaner design as well as a more spacious interior. Backseat passengers will benefit from an extra 1.3 inches of legroom.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I was hopeful with all the weight loss hype before the release of the 2015 Mustang. With those dreams shattered it's more of a wait & see on the 2016 Camaro.

With what Chevy did to the 2016 Malibu makes me think a lighter Camaro is possible. We will all know soon enough.

2016 Chevy Malibu vs 2015 Chevy Malibu Design

When examining the differences between these two Malibu editions, the first thing that is apparent is size and design. Employing lighter, stronger materials, the new 2016 Chevy Malibu is nearly 300 pounds lighter, but has increased in its dimensions. The wheelbase of 2016 models has added 3.6 inches and the overall length of the Chevy sedan has added 2.3 inches. These increases have led to a longer, leaner design as well as a more spacious interior. Backseat passengers will benefit from an extra 1.3 inches of legroom.
They haven't released any official weights on the Malibu that I can find either. I find that 300 pounds dubious. I am sure it lost weight, but again is the 300 from a fully loaded LTZ model compared to the new LS model or trim for trim? GM doesn't seem to want to disclose this information.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
They haven't released any official weights on the Malibu that I can find either. I find that 300 pounds dubious. I am sure it lost weight, but again is the 300 from a fully loaded LTZ model compared to the new LS model or trim for trim? GM doesn't seem to want to disclose this information.
Good point, data gets presented in a misleading fashion all the time. Guess we'll have to weight for the official weight of both.

chrisvr6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
found this article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2016-chevrolet-camaro-visualizer-to-go-live-this-summer.html

DETROITChevrolet will debut a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro "visualizer" later this summer that enables car shoppers to experiment with different colors, options and accessories on the highly anticipated all-new coupe and convertible.
The visualizer is a precursor to the formal 2016 Camaro online vehicle configurator, Todd Christensen, Camaro marketing manager, told Edmunds on Friday.
"The visualizer won't have pricing," he said in a phone interview. "A configurator with full pricing will go live around the time that the cars are on sale in the late fall."
Chevrolet spokesman Monte Doran confirmed there will be new Camaro convertible, but that version won't debut at the car's upcoming event in Detroit on May 16. Launch timing on the convertible was not provided.
While Chevrolet is holding off on many Camaro details until the car's public debut, Christensen provided a preview of what enthusiasts can expect with the all-new car.
He said new performance and cosmetic accessories are planned, along with new colors.
"We're taking a page from what Camaro enthusiasts tell us," Christensen said. "You've got to treat accessorization as a full-scale strategy and not an after-thought. They have to be well integrated when the car debuts."
He said enthusiasts will be able to personalize the 2016 Camaro "inside and out, with some performance features as well."
While he wouldn't spell out the exact color palette for the 2016 Camaro, he said "there is a good range of bright and expressive colors to some very luxurious and subdued shades."
The exterior color choices will include "bright reds and yellows to beautiful grays and deep metallic reds," he said.
Retro colors, such as Butternut Yellow and Frost Green, will not be offered, however.
"There's nothing about this car that's retro," said Doran.
The Camaro team gathers Camaro wish lists from enthusiasts by attending Camaro car club events, scouring social media and monitoring the Camaro Facebook page, the largest Facebook car page at General Motors with nearly 5 million likes.
When asked what Camaro enthusiasts are expecting from the 2016 Camaro in terms of performance upgrades, Christensen said: "I don't know that there's a specific expectation. They are looking for us to improve upon what was already great. We're starting with a high bar. Our customers say ‘You guys are doing a good job. Keep it up.'"
camaro-six-gallery-11.jpg

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
No pricing till fall? Good job GM.

Wasn't Mustang pricing announced about two months post reveal?

Sponsored

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The car goes on sale 'late Fall?' Gosh, Winter starts 21-Dec..."late Fall" can mean even some time in Dec 2015 for a start of sale point. That is pretty late.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Did I miss something, or is that one picture and some promises all they released today?

Just an observation from that pic on edmonds, it's kind of vanilla and boring.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Huh, I wonder whether Ford and Chivy are facing off here on pricing and that's why we haven't heard more about the GT350 pricing? I can see where if one is significantly lower or higher it will have a huge impact on sales.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.