Sponsored

2017 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 VS. 2017 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R: THE FOREVER WAR

ElAntonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (Grabber Blue, Electronics)
Honestly I could drive to work every day in 2nd (79 MPH) and never shift. It wouldn't be comfortable, it would suck gas, it would be terrible for the car, and it would be loud as hell in a bad way, but the point is the 350 has enough power band that you're not working that hard for speed out of it.

At the GT350 track attack, I left it in third the whole time. I was just about to kiss the limiter on the straights when I hit the braking zone, but even if I found a little more exit speed right before them I'd still probably not be shifting, just let it hit red for a moment. When third gives you good power from ~60 MPH all the way up to 110 or so...
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
So the Camaro is faster than the Mustang but most of the world prefers the Mustang (or at least the rental fleets do according to C6G) Probably because there is alot more to a car than straight line speed.

The ZL1 is faster than the 350R by nowhere near what the power difference should imply and C6G is butthurt that even General Motors Trend prefers the 350R.

Does that sum things up?

I don't do alot of track days, so don't have the skill to push either car anywhere near the limits, I drive on the Autobahn everyday and that is more a test of pure power, so the ZL1 actually would suit me more, especially considering it's un-popular enough that I can easily find one below msrp, good luck on that for an R,

They really should be worried about the ZL1's true competitor coming soon. Though I don't actually want either car I'm interested in how they stack up.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
That's what I thought. How about instead of crying/whining all the time you actually take your own advice and find a GT350 to drive and compare to the ZL1. You know, like you guys keep telling us to just drive the ZL1 etc.

Before you reply with another war and peace length post, I really don't care what Mustangs or Camaros you've driven in the past as it isn't relative to this thread.
Blah blah blah yea knock it off skippy. Get over the whole attitude thing and move on. Your BS is getting a little old.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ZL1 is faster than the 350R by nowhere near what the power difference should imply and C6G is butthurt that even General Motors Trend prefers the 350They really should be worried about the ZL1's true competitor coming soon. Though I don't actually want either car I'm interested in how they stack up.
Any word on the upcoming GT500?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Blah blah blah yea knock it off skippy. Get over the whole attitude thing and move on. Your BS is getting a little old.
You must've found a new keyboard since your tears shorted out the other one.

100% agreed for different reasons. I see you are a do as I say and not as I do type of person. As you were saying, you were not going to be bullied out of this thread or the forum. Well same here and at least I have a car that the forum is based on.

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You must've found a new keyboard since your tears shorted out the other one.

100% agreed for different reasons. I see you are a do as I say and not as I do type of person. As you were saying, you were not going to be bullied out of this thread or the forum. Well same here and at least I have a car that the forum is based on.
Congrats homeslice. Good for you.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Any word on the upcoming GT500?
No, and it may not be called a GT500 maybe cobra.
Ford is tight liped about it. They threw a bone with the "spy" photos but I believe even you know it's coming.

Are you going to trade in your underperforming vehicle for it, or do you think the camaro will be more of a driver's car and feel better, maybe you'll just stay a camaro guy?
Whatever you may believe ford has the top dog mustang coming and they aren't brining it to under perform the zl1, it's competitor.
It will hurt a lot of feelings out there, i suppose.
Probably not a lot that have 350s tho.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, and it may not be called a GT500 maybe cobra.
Ford is tight liped about it. They threw a bone with the "spy" photos but I believe even you know it's coming.

Are you going to trade in your underperforming vehicle for it, or do you think the camaro will be more of a driver's car and feel better, maybe you'll just stay a camaro guy?
Whatever you may believe ford has the top dog mustang coming and they aren't brining it to under perform the zl1, it's competitor.
It will hurt a lot of feelings out there, i suppose.
Probably not a lot that have 350s tho.
Well I wouldn't call my car "under performing" considering it out performed the R (and every car in the same price range) on the track and costs less. I do believe the GT500 or "Cobra" is coming soon but I would love some more details. So far I keep hearing it could be a mid 2018 or a 2019 release. And I wonder what the price will be. If it does come out and is at least equal in performance to the ZL1 1LE and costs around the same and I can get one without a dealer markup then despite being a "Camaro guy" (according to you) I probably would pick one up. Why not? I'd probably keep my car tho. But on a side note, I would have to choose between the GT500/Cobra and a Trackhawk.

Last edited:

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well I wouldn't call my car "under performing" considering it beat the R and costs less. I do believe the GT500 or "Cobra" is coming soon but I would love some more details. So far I keep hearing it could be a mid 2018 or a 2019 release. And I wonder what the price will be. If it does come out and is at least equal in performance to the ZL1 1LE and costs around the same and I can get one without a dealer markup then despite being a "Camaro guy" (according to you) I probably would pick one up. Why not? I'd probably keep my car tho. But on a side note, I would have to choose between the GT500/Cobra and a Trackhawk.
But alas, it didn't "beat" the R, the R was the winner of the review, actually, I believe every head to head review.

The Camaro is just a blown pushrod copy of an '03 Cobra, just like every Camaro since it's inception has been a copy of a Mustang. Camaro wouldn't even exist if the Mustang didn't.

Only years the Camaro was better was the 2003-2009 models...

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But alas, it didn't "beat" the R, the R was the winner of the review, actually, I believe every head to head review.

The Camaro is just a blown pushrod copy of an '03 Cobra, just like every Camaro since it's inception has been a copy of a Mustang. Camaro wouldn't even exist if the Mustang didn't.

I'll re-phrase what I said...the ZL1 outperformed the R in every performance category on the track. And considering that it is the best performing car for the price I would not call it an under performing car at all. For the record I think the R performed well also.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

GT350 Track pack was chosen the winner between a C7 Corvette Z51....DOH! It most definitely not all about numbers in a drivers car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-comparison-test

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1

At this point, what's going on here? I think for the most part we've all just agreed to disagree. But can't you give credit where it's due. Copy of an 03 Cobra? Please explain. People like you just fanning the fire need to chill. We've been there already. And if you care for facts, the review clearly reveals the R loses in all typical performance categories to the ZL1. The reviewers gave it the win based on subjective opinion. And that's ok, but many of you guys keep talking winner/loser as if the R was the true performance winner. On this day, on this track, with this driver, the ZL1 was faster. And don't mention the .4 difference, because as once was famously said, "it don't matter if you win by an inch, or a mile, winning is winning". Driver connection, exhaust sound, and more rewarding experience may all be in favor of the R by many people, but it is indeed slower in this test. The two cars accomplish their goals with completely different formulas, which is why I think this debate is so polarizing (outside of some just being fanboys not willing to even acknowledge cars besides Mustang exist). And to speak of copying is ironic. What's one of the features that took the GT350 handling to another level compared to previous Mustangs? Magneride, a technology pioneered by GM.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
At this point, what's going on here? I think for the most part we've all just agreed to disagree. But can't you give credit where it's due. Copy of an 03 Cobra? Please explain. People like you just fanning the fire need to chill. We've been there already. And if you care for facts, the review clearly reveals the R loses in all typical performance categories to the ZL1. The reviewers gave it the win based on subjective opinion. And that's ok, but many of you guys keep talking winner/loser as if the R was the true performance winner. On this day, on this track, with this driver, the ZL1 was faster. And don't mention the .4 difference, because as once was famously said, "it don't matter if you win by an inch, or a mile, winning is winning". Driver connection, exhaust sound, and more rewarding experience may all be in favor of the R by many people, but it is indeed slower in this test. The two cars accomplish their goals with completely different formulas, which is why I think this debate is so polarizing (outside of some just being fanboys not willing to even acknowledge cars besides Mustang exist). And to speak of copying is ironic. What's one of the features that took the GT350 handling to another level compared to previous Mustangs? Magneride, a technology pioneered by GM.
I think I asked you this last time. Are you going to track the car? If not, outside of 0-60 time and it being available in an automatic do any of the other metrics the ZL1 beat the R by matter? They are negligible and really won't matter on the street. Even the 45-65 passing test was only .2 seconds difference IIRC. I'm not sure that can even be felt. But the other intangibles you mention such as driver experience do come into play every time you drive the car. So which is more important?

Also, GM uses a technology pioneered by Ford, it's called the assembly line. :D;)
Sponsored