Sponsored

2016 GT 6m adding GT350 intake

Shadowdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 1994 Corvette 1984 Corvette 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R 2000Suzuki TLR1000
First, thanks to the folks who messaged or posted on a previous post ,I appreciate all the input.
So my 2016 , Ford PP2 mods and tune, 6m , suffered the p0300 p0308 codes. Replaced coil plug and injector with no change. Turns out the drivers bank of IMRC butterflies were completely disconnected . A new 2015-17 intake is unavailable and there is a TSB , my info was it’s not only on back order it will remain so. And a used intake may or may not fail at any time. After reviewing the options I chose the GT350 replacement . One pigtail to the controllers at the back must be lengthened. A extension harness is available to one of the pigtails by the TB . I had the PP2 upgrade installed so I already had the GT350 TB , to use the stock TB you need an adaptor. To connect the brake booster vacuum I pulled the rubber hose off the metal line on the throttle body side and reversed it. Perfect fit. You need a cap to block off a large vacuum port by the TB on the manifold . The bolt on itself is easy. You will not use the engine cover with the intake.
Car started right up on the PP2 tune. Runs well and slams into the limiter lol it has mild surge at low rpm. After 75 miles there are no codes and it runs well and my gas mileage according to the on board system got better.
i will be getting a dyno tune Sunday. Results will be posted.
If you need to replace the stock gen2 intake I do recommend this and you can drive the car after this a tune is genuinely needed. Hope this helps.

IMG_8016.jpeg

IMG_8017.jpeg

IMG_8001.jpeg

IMG_8005.jpeg

IMG_8024.jpeg

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_8031.jpeg
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've got a PP2 as well and my engine detonates with one no matter what I tried. I think that maybe my stock manifold has a minor crack or something, sucks some extra air enough to cause detonation, but not enough to throw codes. There were threads here at the forum regarding manifild cracks and replacements with a TSB.

The only way to check is to remove and inspect manifold. Or, bite the bullet and try to go with the PP3 right away.

My concern is though, with my luck my manifold may be ok, the reason for pinging could be somewhere else, so I'll still be detonating $1.5k later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadowdriver

Shadowdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 1994 Corvette 1984 Corvette 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R 2000Suzuki TLR1000
I’d go ahead and check the manifold . It’s not awful to pull off and the gasket set is 20 bucks

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Have not done this, but how about using a smoke generator to check for manifold cracks or leaks? Anyone else done this?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Have not done this, but how about using a smoke generator to check for manifold cracks or leaks? Anyone else done this?
Hm.... thanks for the idea, Paul. I'll buy a smoker and try one. It's $, but saves time versus manifold removal.... and then how would I even inspect one once its out. The crack may be not obvious.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Back to the thread... You effectively have PP3 hardware with a PP2 tune which is very interesting. Someone here (on pp dedicated threads) suggested that 3 and 2 tunes are identical. But I think at least the redline is different.

If your dyno suddenly shows typical pp3 lines I'd be surprised. But go figure.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Back to the thread... You effectively have PP3 hardware with a PP2 tune which is very interesting. Someone here (on pp dedicated threads) suggested that 3 and 2 tunes are identical. But I think at least the redline is different.

PP3 rev limit is higher.

Last edited:

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Hm.... thanks for the idea, Paul. I'll buy a smoker and try one. It's $, but saves time versus manifold removal.... and then how would I even inspect one once its out. The crack may be not obvious.
Once the IM is out it then requires an intensive visual inspection. Strong lighting and using a bore scope will help with the task.

The smoke generator can also be used on the IM after removal by closing things up with some blue tape. While it is on the engine very careful inspection with good lighting, inspection mirror(s), and even the bore scope will be once again necessary.

You are correct in that a crack may not be obvious. Careful examination is the place to start, though.

Good luck, Accel!

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Got the smoke generator and no IM leaks. So PP2 detonation remains a mistery for now.

P.S. The test was with oem intake, OEM tune. I probably should smoke test gt350 intake and throttle body as well... will report once I test them up.

Last edited:

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z

This is a list of differences between PP2 and PP3 tunes. I have both raw tunes, I swapped a GT350 intake onto my car and updated the tune.

The Independant Plausibility Check (IPC) is a system for checking the electronic throttle operation and in the event that the engine is delivering more torque than it thinks it should, the IPC will step in put the vehicle in limp mode with a throttle shut.

The manifold volume and rev limit are also obviously changed, but all other major tables remain the same.

The DTCs, I can't tell what's different so I didn't change them. Car runs fine so far.

PP2-PP3 Compare log.PNG
Sponsored