Sponsored

2015 V6 MT vibration

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
No doesn matter its a problem at all speeds. Same rpm no matter the speed. I just got a call saying they think its the engine. They did a head replacement a few months ago due to the first one becoming porus and they think it may be an issue with the work they did.
so are you mostly accelerating up to 3000 RPM and then shifting gears ?

what happens if you are full throttle up to 5000 RPM? Still no vibration above 3000?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
why would this mess up all of a sudden just spinning his tires on a wet surface? Coincidence?
It sounds like the issue was induced by severe driveline shock. I'd have them check halfshafts and the pinion input shaft for damage, as well as the diff carrier mounts. Under coasting all the rotating components sit at their nominal state. Under power, they have additional load on them and flex within their tolerances and mounts (diff housing).

You absolutely should get this fixed under warranty and do whatever you need to get it. Driving with the TC off is allowable and if any of these components are damaged they should not have been, regardless of your mods.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
It sounds like the issue was induced by severe driveline shock.
it was a wet surface, and he does have a V6. Not that there is anything wrong with a V6. :bolt:

seriously though, given those two, that's not a recipe for a severe driveline shock.

he did say that the dealer called him back, saying possible engine issue, so hopefully they can get it fixed reasonably fast. Maybe he could stick a GoPro in the engine bay, and see what it looks like at full throttle ?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
it was a wet surface, and he does have a V6. Not that there is anything wrong with a V6. :bolt:

seriously though, given those two, that's not a recipe for a severe driveline shock.

he did say that the dealer called him back, saying possible engine issue, so hopefully they can get it fixed reasonably fast. Maybe he could stick a GoPro in the engine bay, and see what it looks like at full throttle ?
You don't need a V8 to induce that kind of shock. Wheel hop + circumstances unknown + possible bad part could easily result in a failure. Wet surfaces let things like wheel hop happen easier. There is still friction on a wet surface and when the tires grab it will induce high forces back into the driveline, subframe and mounting. Wheel hop creates a fatigue loading-like condition in that you get repeated cyclical stress.

It's unlikely the circumstances he mentioned would produce forces that would make any sort of impact on the engine or engine mounting. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I think the dealer techs are looking at the wrong end of the car.

OP
OP

BLK2015V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
It can definitely be driveline related even if it goes away under load. The pinion angle changes as the powertrain moves under power. They should be looking to replace your rear gear set and/or driveshaft and make sure it's balanced to the right spot.
On 3rd driveshaft. They went through it all this week on the rear end said it all was good. They are saying motor now from recent work they did replacing the head

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLK2015V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
so are you mostly accelerating up to 3000 RPM and then shifting gears ?

what happens if you are full throttle up to 5000 RPM? Still no vibration above 3000?
Yea happens no matter what but goes away MOSTLY to a manageable slight vibration above 3k

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
You don't need a V8 to induce that kind of shock. Wheel hop + circumstances unknown + possible bad part could easily result in a failure. Wet surfaces let things like wheel hop happen easier.
true. I havent' had my car long enough to know what it does on a wet surface. My old car had an open diff, and it would just lazily spin a tire on wet pavement. V8, zero drive line shock.

Still, I am thinking that the drive line should hold up with a V8 on a dry surface. At least some people do or have done high RPM clutch dumps on dry payment, getting most of the 400 lb ft of torque to the rear wheels.

And what about the Whipple folks?

Now that I think of it, I am tempted to mod my Mustang back to an open diff. My car is more bling than go fast. And it would give me some peace of mind if I have to hand over my keys to a teenager at a Service Center. Worst they could do is a low torque one wheel peel.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Yea happens no matter what but goes away MOSTLY to a manageable slight vibration above 3k

I suppose it could be the engine. Harmonics / resonance can be an weird thing.

I may have asked this before, but does the engine vibrate at all, just revving it while not moving?

OP
OP

BLK2015V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I suppose it could be the engine. Harmonics / resonance can be an weird thing.

I may have asked this before, but does the engine vibrate at all, just revving it while not moving?
No idea never tried it. Havent seen the car since the issue

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
man this sucks dude. could be a trans issue. or the motor is hurt. why did thry have to replace a head???

i have a small vibe between 70 and 80 mph but its there under load/no load and in nuetral. pretty sure its driveshaft but your issue sounds like motor or trans

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
No idea never tried it. Havent seen the car since the issue
Sounds like your dealer is guessing at the problem instead of diagnosing it. There are tools out there that will pinpoint a vibration to a specific rotating component based on the frequency and order.

The tools are as follows:

- Electronic Vibration Analyzer (EVA)
- MasterTech MTS 4000

Both tools can isolate the vibration, provided the tech is trained on how to use them. I would ask the dealer if they have used a vibration analyzer to determine the source of the vibration. If they don't know what a vibration analyzer is or don't know how to use one, take the car to a different dealer that does.

Does the vibration only occur when the driveline is under a load (accelerating/decelerating)? If so, it could be a damaged differential mount that is causing the pinion angle to change under a load. Might want to verify that all the mounts are properly tightened and that none of them are damaged.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Sounds like it could be a dual mass flywheel problem. I do believe that the v6s have them.

OP
OP

BLK2015V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Yea I called up to headquarters in dear born. It rolled down hill from there so i expect a solution in the next week or so.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Yea I called up to headquarters in dear born. It rolled down hill from there so i expect a solution in the next week or so.
Interesting thread.
Before we bought our '16' EBM, we drove a V6 because I know a guy that has one and because I was a bit put-off by the engine noise from the first EB car we drove.
The local dealer went out and got a V6 manual to drive from a sister dealership and while quiet at idle, the vibration up to 3k in the first two gears, besides the lack of torque at those speeds, really killed the deal.
The engine was loud and the vibrations could be felt, most noticeably through the shifter and in the passenger compartment.
The wife and I both drove the car and were surprised and disappointed to the point that we stopped looking at the V6.
Found another EB to drive and we were ok with it; we now have 2200 miles on the car and have no real issues.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Probably not the same but I had a 2007 Focus that no one could figure out a vibration in the front end. Would only do it under load in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. (5speed). Would also vibrate between 65 and 75 MPH. New wheels, tires and 5 wheel balances later, no better. Turns out I had a bad hydraulic passenger side motor mount. Went with a new Ford part and it was a totally different car. Like new again. So.. maybe a loose or bad motor mount? Sometimes it's the simple things.
Sponsored