2015 Mustang V6 Exhaust Sound Clip Thread

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
I just grabbed a free app for my phone called "FrequenSee" - honestly just the first one I saw on Google apps - it just shows the sound spectrum on a continuously moving graph. When it droned I could look and see that there was the large spike at 100 hz. No bells, no whistles, no options or recording or anything.
I did not know apps could do this. The one that showed at the top of Playstore list for me was 'Frequency Counter' I'll try it tomorrow. Mo' data, I love it. :)

I hope you had a positive day today!
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So I might be doing something big with my exhaust soon. Big as in a brand new design which means my orginal exhaust will be up for grabs. Just as a feeler, would anyone here be interested in buying it? PM or respond here if interested. It will be a few weeks before I implement my new design.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
So I might be doing something big with my exhaust soon. Big as in a brand new design which means my orginal exhaust will be up for grabs. Just as a feeler, would anyone here be interested in buying it? PM or respond here if interested. It will be a few weeks before I implement my new design.
I read a thread somewhere else (BMW?) where he added a resonator to his muffler like you, BUT it was only as long as the muffler, but about 4" in diameter. I think he bought it from an aftermarket company. Would being ≈ 2 1/3 times the diam of a 1.75" res. but less than half the 33" - 37" calculated that we need, give a similar or better effect to delete drone? Maybe over a wider range (hopefully? )?

We are on the edges of our seats on you next exh. prototype! :eyebulge:
:D

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I read a thread somewhere else (BMW?) where he added a resonator to his muffler like you, BUT it was only as long as the muffler, but about 4" in diameter. I think he bought it from an aftermarket company. Would being ≈ 2 1/3 times the diam of a 1.75" res. but less than half the 33" - 37" calculated that we need, give a similar or better effect to delete drone? Maybe over a wider range (hopefully? )?

We are on the edges of our seats on you next exh. prototype! :eyebulge:
:D
I know corsa has chambers built into their mufflers that function the same as my resonators. The calculations for a chamber resonator vs a tube resonator are a bit more complex though... Something an acoustics expert/engineer would be needed for! I am sure it is possible though. If you are worried about the length you could always try to add packing in a shorter length tube. Something like the fiberglass packing used in mufflers. Again though this would be more trial and error as I would not even begin to pretend to understand the calculations for that system. :eek:

As for my next exhaust... Lets just say it will be much simpler/lighter. ;)

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I know corsa has chambers built into their mufflers that function the same as my resonators. The calculations for a chamber resonator vs a tube resonator are a bit more complex though... Something an acoustics expert/engineer would be needed for! I am sure it is possible though. If you are worried about the length you could always try to add packing in a shorter length tube. Something like the fiberglass packing used in mufflers. Again though this would be more trial and error as I would not even begin to pretend to understand the calculations for that system. :eek:

As for my next exhaust... Lets just say it will be much simpler/lighter. ;)
I was not so much concerned about the length. I just would love a miracle resonator or solution that eliminated drone over a wider rpm range. 1,000 rpm range has a nice ring to it! ;)

I can't wit to see the new design from ZX! (Zach eXhaust ;) )

After Rusian and I riding in each other's cars this morning and hearing ZERO drone in his V6.... I am motivated to do something. I keep thinking/dreaming if there is even a chance BBK headers could change the sound wavelength enough for a miracle, I'd do that. A muffler shop veteran seemed sure that headers being before the cats would NOT change drone. He too mentioned 'X' pipe (like the guy that installed my mufflers). He said but if you have a resonator, it is likely already merging the two banks. If it is, then a second 'X' or 'H' would change nothing.

I read someone say the V6's resonator had little if any bank cross over. (fact or guess I don't know). If in fact it does not, or some very small % of what adding an 'X' pipe (behind the resonator), would, I'd be up to try that. If someone we knew with welding experience wanted to try this, well that would be sweet. :D I guy can dream. ;)

Best of luck on the new exhaust adventure!

Sponsored

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
The tech rep from Flowmaster called again yesterday after I had sent him another set of photos so that he could check the installation and all other components. He watched the video with the R&D guys, and they concluded that it is supposed to sound like that since it is an American Thunder series muffler. I told him that the severe resonance did not match their description of "mild increase in interior volume" or however they phrased it. Not much he could say about that, and I didn't expect him to.

He did offer that if I was interested he could find out what kind of deal he could get me on 40 series mufflers, but I told him no thanks as I like the sound except when they're droning. He was very cool about the whole thing, and very good about keeping in contact so I have zero complaints with them except for the fact that their description didn't really match the result.

I do feel guilty about the glowing review left with Stage 3 Motorsports before I had taken the mufflers on the highway. I feel l may have led people into dronesville. I'm going to have to see if I can modify my review...

I knew when I bought them that I was going to be the guinnea pig, and that there was a risk of this happening, so I'm not too worried about it. Like I said - I love the sound of them and there is no rasp like I've heard with some systems like the Rousch. In fact, when I was at the drag strip this weekend, a guy was really surprised that I had a V6 as he thought it sounded more like a V8. Not that I'm looking to fool anyone, but I def wanted a deeper tone like I have.

So now I'm going to (hopefully) figure out how to fix it. Originally I thought I was going on travel tomorrow, but that was postponed (Yay!) so I don't have to spend this afternoon getting ready for that. Instead I will stop by the backwoods muffler shop I've used before with much luck to see what they will charge for a couple helmholz resonators.

Of course, I'll keep everyone posted.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Yo guys, how do the Roush axlebacks compare to the Roush axlebacks + bbk short headers on the low rpms? Is it still deep and throaty without the headers?

From the videos I've seen, it sounds like the Roush by itself is pretty raspy - it really needs the headers to sound good.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
So I've spent some time here at work figuring out the lengths on excel. (Hey - what I'm doing is engineering, so it is job related, right?) The pic below shows my results. On the left I have the speed of sound for various temps, while along the top I have different rpms. The numbers in the table are the computed lengths for the helmholz resonators for that rpm and that temp. On the far right I have the average computed length for each temp, while along the bottom I have the average computed length for each rpm.

The total average is combining all results.

The frequency I have listed is computed, and I highlighted in yellow the frequency that I measured with my phone. In blue is the mid-range of the rpms that I hear drone.

I think the 32.6 inches I am getting is reasonable, and very close to what Zack got for his. This is the length I'm going to ask about this afternoon.

Zack - when you made your measurements, did you use the midpoint length for the curved pieces?
helmholz.jpg

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Ugly John,

What diameter Res. tube are you looking at and finding available? I have not seen anything near 34" to 38" res. tubes that bend back around like the ones Zack made. Just straight 'J' pipes under 20" IIRC. What rpm range are you hoping or expecting to dampen. Zack calculated 37.5" for my situation guessing a 400 rpm range fix, IIRC.

Though I have just muffler's changed to Magnaflow 11365's we suffer from the same drone I believe. I too love the low tone. But after hearing Rusian's again, but this time with my new mufflers installed, my mufflers sound much lower. Like you I love 'that' part. What i Now realize is that low sound I like i believe 'IS' the low frequency drone! I knew your FM 10 series were shorter than my 11" long MF's, but holy sh!t, your are just 6.5" long!
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=451&partno=842512

I will follow how you work to alleviate your drone. Can you describe from my videos (interior, drive away and idle/rev.) how your system sounds compared to mine?

My drone starts as low as 1,000 rpm's. The best my ear can tell,is that is 'ever so slightly' more annoying at 1700 rpm's. The frequency App I downloaded to my S5 is called Frequency Counter. Is there a setting(s) to average out readings? Mine changes so fast it is nearly impossible to pick a frequency from the #'s flying by.

Is it simple to add info to your chart down to 1500 rpm's? If so, could you PM me a version with that? If not no worries. Thank for your work on this (along with Zach's)

Last edited:

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Well, I stopped by the shop this afternoon. The guy can do it for only about $60 labor + parts, but that is with me supplying 4 90 angles. He can't get good bends with his equipment and says I should use mandrel bent elbows which he didn't have. He will then cut and weld the angles to make it fit, using his own stock of pipe. He has done these before on other cars

He would have given me a price with the angles, but he said I could probably find them cheaper myself. I checked a couple local stores, but no luck so I'll be going on-line. I'm busy this weekend, so nothing will be fixed until next week.

He was saying 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 tubing.

He also said that it would be about the same in labor to install a couple 40 series, so I went ahead and sent Flowmaster another e-mail griping about having to spend more money to fix the system they sold me that was advertised as "maintaining a mild sound level inside". Uh....no. It maintains a deafening sound level inside! I'll see what kind of price he gives me for them.

Dave - I was able to borrow my son's headphones and got a good listen to your video. I haven't heard mine with a drive-away, so I can't compare, but at idle and interior (both cruising and WOT) it sounds very much like mine, but yours drones at a much lower frequency.

If you look at my chart, you can see that the lower rpm, the lower the frequency, thus the longer the wavelength, a finally the longer resonator required. I will be more than happy to work out the lower frequencies tomorrow at work.

You might want to try out the app I had - like I said, it's a constantly moving graph, so you can see the frequencies changing as the interior sound changes. Of course, a bit tough to do while driving, but maybe you can get someone else to take the wheel so you can watch it. My car had a very pronounced spike at the 100 hz point that correlated to the droning.

Still hoping I can get this fixed without melting my credit card...

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Well, I stopped by the shop this afternoon. The guy can do it for only about $60 labor + parts, but that is with me supplying 4 90 angles. He can't get good bends with his equipment and says I should use mandrel bent elbows which he didn't have. He will then cut and weld the angles to make it fit, using his own stock of pipe. He has done these before on other cars

He would have given me a price with the angles, but he said I could probably find them cheaper myself. I checked a couple local stores, but no luck so I'll be going on-line. I'm busy this weekend, so nothing will be fixed until next week.

He was saying 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 tubing.

He also said that it would be about the same in labor to install a couple 40 series, so I went ahead and sent Flowmaster another e-mail griping about having to spend more money to fix the system they sold me that was advertised as "maintaining a mild sound level inside". Uh....no. It maintains a deafening sound level inside! I'll see what kind of price he gives me for them.

Dave - I was able to borrow my son's headphones and got a good listen to your video. I haven't heard mine with a drive-away, so I can't compare, but at idle and interior (both cruising and WOT) it sounds very much like mine, but yours drones at a much lower frequency.

If you look at my chart, you can see that the lower rpm, the lower the frequency, thus the longer the wavelength, a finally the longer resonator required. I will be more than happy to work out the lower frequencies tomorrow at work.

You might want to try out the app I had - like I said, it's a constantly moving graph, so you can see the frequencies changing as the interior sound changes. Of course, a bit tough to do while driving, but maybe you can get someone else to take the wheel so you can watch it. My car had a very pronounced spike at the 100 hz point that correlated to the droning.

Still hoping I can get this fixed without melting my credit card...
I'll try your app. Mine fluctuates so fast and over such a wide range Like +/- 50 Hz or more second to second. I just don't know which setting to use to slow down the sampling rate (like I can do on my Radio Shack Db Meter). It sounds like your apps sample rate was calmer by default.
EDIT: Just looked at the 'FrequenSee' App. Oh, I get it. this App displays a very easy to read/understand graph w/ a bold line. Cool! I was trying to read a digital read out on my App! :doh: Besides, it's graph had a very thin line, so I did not think to try watching it. :doh::doh:

Lucky you to have found a shop that is familiar with res tubes AND only $60 labor! Even if that was $60/ side that would be good. I look forward to what you learn. Zack was saying the larger the diam. of the res tube, the wider the rpm range drone would be quelled over.

Let us know the website you find your 90º tubes at. I'll want to check that out. Can they weld a 3" res. tube to the 2 1/4" stock pipe? :D Heck, if it can be done and get a wider rpm quell range, I'd take the time to grind and bend the mating surface of the 3" pipe end to as closely as possible mate to the o.d. of the pipe. Actually, behind my muffler is where my installer added a 2 1/2" o.d. extension. So that is the place I believe I'd mount a res tube.
Muffler, left-zoom.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

LuckyMe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Deep Impact Blue
Well, i'm still not impressed by the Magnaflow 11365 mufflers...... It's not loud enough or good sounding enough, mine, because of the resonator delete sounds like crap after 5k rpm when the rasp and rice can sound kicks in.... I'm doing a straight pipe somewhere this week so i won't have resonators or mufflers. Maybe, then i'll be happy enough.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well, i'm still not impressed by the Magnaflow 11365 mufflers...... It's not loud enough or good sounding enough, mine, because of the resonator delete sounds like crap after 5k rpm when the rasp and rice can sound kicks in.... I'm doing a straight pipe somewhere this week so i won't have resonators or mufflers. Maybe, then i'll be happy enough.
I would suggest an H pipe in place of the resonator and muffler deletes. The H pipe will deepen the exhaust note and remove some of the rasp.

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
so the question for me is to go with an x pipe or h pipe with my roush axle backs ..... if that is a downfall then ill just slap the resonator back on or get some thrush tubes added to tone it down
Sponsored