2015 Mustang V6 Exhaust Sound Clip Thread

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
So I finally got some time to learn iMovie (my windows broke :/) and here is clip of my sound. Not the mic does peak out a little but in general its pretty close to real life.
P.S. No drone...
P.P.S. Awesome is at the end. ;)
Russian,
Thanks for the video. It sounds great. I am having a hard time not ordering the BBK headers right NOW! :D I do want to wait so we can drive our cars back to back to back to hear the differences.
Thanks
Sponsored

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
OK, I got a bit of video on my way home. My apologies for my old people/slow drivers/idiots rant!

Florida - home of the entire country's population of 95+ yo drivers...

Any way, with headphones you can hear what I'm talking about.

I used an audio meter app on my phone, and I was surprised that the drone doesn't actually increase the sound level - it just vibrates the hell out of my brain!

[ame]

It looks like the drone is at or just above 100 HZ.

I should get my ramps out and get pics to flowmaster, but it's friday, and it's time for a cold one. Or eight.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
OK, I got a bit of video on my way home. My apologies for my old people/slow drivers/idiots rant!

I used an audio meter app on my phone, and I was surprised that the drone doesn't actually increase the sound level - it just vibrates the hell out of my brain!

I should get my ramps out and get pics to flowmaster, but it's friday, and it's time for a cold one. Or eight.
Your drone is almost exactly the same as what I experienced with my exhaust.... Very intrusive... The issue with the 15 is that our resonator is almost a straight pipe design meaning little crossover of exhaust gases. That makes for a bit of drone in low rpm range. Roush gets away with no drone by making their exhaust raspy. I have a feeling that is going to be a common theme.

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Your drone is almost exactly the same as what I experienced with my exhaust.... Very intrusive... The issue with the 15 is that our resonator is almost a straight pipe design meaning little crossover of exhaust gases. That makes for a bit of drone in low rpm range. Roush gets away with no drone by making their exhaust raspy. I have a feeling that is going to be a common theme.
When I went back Monday asking my muffler guy the cost to install BBK headers (only $180 :)) in case I decide to pull that trigger, I also asked about drone. He said add an 'X' pipe would help. Assuming he generically meant a cross pipe, I said like and 'H' pipe? He said no, an 'X' pipe. I assume he is speaking generically, as mine is the first 2015 he has done. I thought (and said) that is off the table because we've learned NOT to remove the resonator on 2015 V6's (induces rasp).

But this afternoon I ran across this guy adding a defacto 'H' pipe to his 2007 V6 by just welding a crossover about a foot in front of his differential. He said he thinks it would have removed more drone if it was back closer to the differential. Zack, et al, what would this do for us with drone in addition with us having (and keeping) the big resonator? I was not exactly clear on what the 'o7 guy was saying. Maybe it makes more sense to you guys.

Also, I vaguely remember reading about 'J' pipes that mount somewhere midway or more forward. Would those not apply to our V6 setups?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...h/336870-v6-dual-exhaust-drone-fix-works.html
His '07 Mod are the first two pics.
Third is my '15 exhaust from the differential to the resonator. If this is a good idea, Where should an 'H' be installed. Why would my guy say 'X' over 'H'? I vaguely recall reading that 'H' somehow gave a better result than 'X' (IIRC, 'X' might have given more rasp).
(Side note: from the 50-70mph vibration thread... glad to see the yellow marks on my drive shaft line up with the diff. flange!)
'H' Welded in, '07-1.jpg
'H' Welded in, '07-2.jpg
Drive Shft, Resonator-600.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
When I went back Monday asking my muffler guy the cost to install BBK headers (only $180 :)) in case I decide to pull that trigger, I also asked about drone. He said add an 'X' pipe would help. Assuming he generically meant a cross pipe, I said like and 'H' pipe? He said no, an 'X' pipe. I assume he is speaking generically, as mine is the first 2015 he has done. I thought (and said) that is off the table because we've learned NOT to remove the resonator on 2015 V6's (induces rasp).

But this afternoon I ran across this guy adding a defacto 'H' pipe to his 2007 V6 by just welding a crossover about a foot in front of his differential. He said he thinks it would have removed more drone if it was back closer to the differential. Zack, et al, what would this do for us with drone in addition with us having (and keeping) the big resonator? I was not exactly clear on what the 'o7 guy was saying. Maybe it makes more sense to you guys.

Also, I vaguely remember reading about 'J' pipes that mount somewhere midway or more forward. Would those not apply to our V6 setups?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...h/336870-v6-dual-exhaust-drone-fix-works.html
His '07 Mod are the first two pics.
Third is my '15 exhaust from the differential to the resonator. If this is a good idea, Where should an 'H' be installed. Why would my guy say 'X' over 'H'? I vaguely recall reading that 'H' somehow gave a better result than 'X' (IIRC, 'X' might have given more rasp).
(Side note: from the 50-70mph vibration thread... glad to see the yellow marks on my drive shaft line up with the diff. flange!)
Basically the 07 guy did a simpler version of the Helmholtz resonator. He is using most of the exhaust system as the actual resonator and welded in a crossover H. This is not a normal H though because if you look closely it is sealed off closer to one side (the welded area in the pipe). This creates two separate chambers of differing size which will help eliminate drone. I doubt it works as efficiently as the Helmholtz but it is certainly easier to fabricate. If you wanted to try that design I would put it right before the bend in the exhaust that opens up to clear the diff.

"J" pipes are the exhaust term for a Helmholtz resonator. The reason for this is because the resonator usually resembles a "J" in order to fit the correct length of tubing in the space available. My resonators are placed just before the mufflers and work quite well. I am sure if they were a bit more forward they would work better (more RPM range covered) but that just is not possible with the space we have.

Crossover pipes come in two different flavors. You have your "H" pipe and your "X" pipe. "H" pipe crossovers were used on a lot of the older muscle cars and usually provide a deep exhaust note with focus on low to mid range power. "X" pipes are more common on modern cars and are somewhat better for higher rpm performance. This is because of whats called the scavenging effect. Basically its allowing the exhaust pulses to flow more freely through the exhaust thus increasing higher RPM power. "X" pipes are the more raspy of the two yet still give a unique sound.

The OEM resonator on the 15 is a straight pipe design. That means the pipes never cross like an X or have a channel between them like an H. The resonator does however have perforated sections in the exhaust tubing to allow exhaust gasses to mix in the center eliminating rasp and to a lesser extent act as an H pipe. If you remove the resonator you can replace it with an H pipe and retain a deep exhaust note. You will however loose the unique sound our 15 makes. Yours will end up sounding like the previous generation 14. This is why must of us do not want to remove the resonator. Lets face it, it makes the car sound amazing! Because of this though we need to find ways to deal with the drone that this system creates.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Basically the 07 guy did a simpler version of the Helmholtz resonator. He is using most of the exhaust system as the actual resonator and welded in a crossover H. This is not a normal H though because if you look closely it is sealed off closer to one side (the welded area in the pipe). This creates two separate chambers of differing size which will help eliminate drone. I doubt it works as efficiently as the Helmholtz but it is certainly easier to fabricate. If you wanted to try that design I would put it right before the bend in the exhaust that opens up to clear the diff.

"J" pipes are the exhaust term for a Helmholtz resonator. The reason for this is because the resonator usually resembles a "J" in order to fit the correct length of tubing in the space available. My resonators are placed just before the mufflers and work quite well. I am sure if they were a bit more forward they would work better (more RPM range covered) but that just is not possible with the space we have.

Crossover pipes come in two different flavors. You have your "H" pipe and your "X" pipe. "H" pipe crossovers were used on a lot of the older muscle cars and usually provide a deep exhaust note with focus on low to mid range power. "X" pipes are more common on modern cars and are somewhat better for higher rpm performance. This is because of whats called the scavenging effect. Basically its allowing the exhaust pulses to flow more freely through the exhaust thus increasing higher RPM power. "X" pipes are the more raspy of the two yet still give a unique sound.

The OEM resonator on the 15 is a straight pipe design. That means the pipes never cross like an X or have a channel between them like an H. The resonator does however have perforated sections in the exhaust tubing to allow exhaust gasses to mix in the center eliminating rasp and to a lesser extent act as an H pipe. If you remove the resonator you can replace it with an H pipe and retain a deep exhaust note. You will however loose the unique sound our 15 makes. Yours will end up sounding like the previous generation 14. This is why must of us do not want to remove the resonator. Lets face it, it makes the car sound amazing! Because of this though we need to find ways to deal with the drone that this system creates.
Zack,
What about 4" past (rearward of) where pipes bend out for the diff.? It looks like if you had a pipe with +/- a 90º bend in it's middle facing back toward the diff., the ends could be made to hit the left & rt pipes at a perpendicular angle and be welded at or near that 4" aft of the front of diff. bends. Would this theoretical 8"-9" long ≈ 90º bend resonator tube gain a lot more drone reducing benefit than '07 guy's ≈ 3" 'H' res. tube? I don't think the diff. moves, so being say 1/2" away from it might make it only sit only and inch or so lower than the OEM exh. pipes (and right where the axles raise the car over speed bumps, etc.) Ha, could even weld a 2" plate from pipe to pipe as a support/ skid plate in case you ever did run over something that impacted that slightly lower point.

Side note, would cutting off failed attempt res. pipes and welding on patches mess with exh. flow much? Or just LOOK like Frankenstein! ;)

I don't really know Zack, and I damned sure don't know Jack, so I could be all wet here. Just throwin' it out there. :D

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Further adding to the great explanation that zack gave you, an x pipe will "pull" exhaust gasses faster at higher rpms, which also makes more power. A big turnoff for most people is that it does sound raspy. To my knowledge, it hasn't been proven that the two engines banks ever meet throughout the exhaust cycle on our car, so having an x/h pipe should technically yeld some decent power/ torque

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Further adding to the great explanation that zack gave you, an x pipe will "pull" exhaust gasses faster at higher rpms, which also makes more power. A big turnoff for most people is that it does sound raspy. To my knowledge, it hasn't been proven that the two engines banks ever meet throughout the exhaust cycle on our car, so having an x/h pipe should technically yield some decent power/ torque
I certainly appreciate your guys' information on exhaust. What does 'engine banks meet' mean? Are you saying that for our 3.7L's particular design, an 'H' pipe should exhibit similar 'exhaust pull' as an 'X' pipe? Or to a significant degree? Or are you saying that because our banks (cylinder pulses?) don't meet, an 'X' pipe would not have it's normal degree of effectiveness? That would be good to avoid 'X' pipe rasp we don't have room for an 'X' in front of the resonator. Even an 'H' at the back of the tranny pan or under u-joint would be problematic for servicing those later (and would be lower than OEM tubes!). But a flow thru 'H' behind the resonator would be very doable. Would that gain "H pipe w/ res. delete" type of benefits (while we get to keep our '15's unique sound and resonator ;))?

Again, since I do know this fellow Jack, I have no box to think inside of. :eyebulge:
Diff, behind w:Res600*.jpg

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

How did you measure the frequency of your drone? I was reading on exh. resonance this morning and saw a graph showing several (4-5?) peaks in freq. I have a $100 Radio Shack Db meter which was not helpful. All drone range seemed to be between 68 - 70 Db when in cruise control on level road (minimal load).

PS. If you did not finish off the case last night... Are you in the mood for some under car pics this morning? :D

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
How did you measure the frequency of your drone? I was reading on exh. resonance this morning and saw a graph showing several (4-5?) peaks in freq. I have a $100 Radio Shack Db meter which was not helpful. All drone range seemed to be between 68 - 70 Db when in cruise control on level road (minimal load).

PS. If you did not finish off the case last night... Are you in the mood for some under car pics this morning? :D

I just grabbed a free app for my phone called "FrequenSee" - honestly just the first one I saw on Google apps - it just shows the sound spectrum on a continuously moving graph. When it droned I could look and see that there was the large spike at 100 hz. No bells, no whistles, no options or recording or anything.

I didn't finish the case off, but my next door neighbor is having a party this afternoon, and his wife is bringing a friend over for me to meet. Today will be spent cleaning the house. My 21 y.o. son and I live like the bachelors we are, and the house in it's current condition will not impress any one that happens to come over....

Tomorrow is open, except I might bring it to the local drag strip for a benefit event. I should be able to pop it up o ramps before that...

I did find this site:

http://www.synapseengineering.com/motorsport/

Looks cool, but not sure about the lengths. They had something about making a variable length one. But I imagine just showing this (or pics of Zacks setup) to your muffler shop would be cheaper.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Since we have an engine in a V configuration, you have te left and right bank (three cylinders per bank) the general consensus is that, for optimal combustion and better power, the two banks need to meet at some point (x or h pipe). Adding an x- pipe after the resonator is doable, but I think you would be restricting exhaust flow. If you want the added benefits of an x pipe, I would suggest you chop off the resonator. If you want to be the guinea pig, you could try the double x-pipe that corsa is using on their 5.0 systems. That should make it less raspy and keep the benefits of an x-pipe

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Yo guys, how do the Roush axlebacks compare to the Roush axlebacks + bbk short headers on the low rpms? Is it still deep and throaty without the headers?

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
I'm really curious about this x pipe talk I may have to get my exhaust guy to fab something up
Sponsored